my wife left me for the garbageman

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Is this an intersting topic?

Yes... totally rivetting
50%
No... go fly a kite or something you d*ck!!
50%

Total votes: 12

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:50 pm

Garbageman is a sort after and prestigious job in the eastern suburbs. Usually handed down from generation to generation or bestowed on footballing stars as a post career option. Even a few exsurfers make the grade sometimes.
Do you work at the sewerage works Salty?

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:22 pm

:lol:
F-ck your a funny c-nt.

Roman
Grommet

Post by Roman » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:24 pm

YOU ARE A BLOODY IDIOT!!!

BUT A VERY FUNNY BLOODY IDIOT SALTY!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A little bit of Plagiarism never hurt any one..
:wink:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:49 pm

wat the garbage men allways knock twice :shock:

off topic.....wat the hell is wrong with p platters......why do u drive so fast with friends in the car :!: :x :cry:

if u want b a hero....go fast on u own :idea:

this is seriously getting sucky the amount young lifes wasted by hero hoons :x

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/hal ... 00965.html

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:01 pm

fongles?

infectious
regular

Post by infectious » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:21 pm

im with you fongo, you see them hoonning around everywhere. dont seem to realise theyre holding their own and other peoples lives by a very weak thread... im not sure how it can be stopped either... if they dont learn fom the constant procession of fatal accidents then theyre super silly (<-----insert stronger language there). i think parents need a more active role in the education of young drivers...

or perhaps we should have postie bikes all round... :twisted:
"I wanna be on you"

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:43 pm

thanks infection :twisted:

yes it's me dae....the one and only :roll:

i really wish i had a answer....it's just getting too a point where far too many young lives are being lost thu driving like a fool :cry:

put up the age limit too drive to 21 :?:

better education :?: harder licence testing :?:

only let drive 4cyl cars :?:

i dunno.....but time is for something :idea: :arrow: consider....more aussies are killed and maimed on the roads than all our terrisom attacks put together.....why don't the g'verment spend the equal amount cash on the problem :?

p.s b- doubles on the pacific h'way have alot answer 4....rta has blood on it's hands for that :x

Demonicus
regular

Post by Demonicus » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:38 am

wtf has it to do with surfing, you moron !

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:05 am

salty wrote:P-platers do my head in!!
It was ever thus…

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:38 am

The P-plater issue is a huge problem, my personal thought is that it's getting way more publicity now than before because 3 times more p-platers are dying (I don't think anyone's considered that there are 3 times more p-platers due to 3 year p's.........that is entirely besides the point though)
the point is that drivers under 25 especially male, usually drive like maniacs, seriously I'm 23 & probably very lucky to be alive, I'm very glad my 1st car was a '85 corolla (which I still managed to get up to 140kph) seriously the only difference between me & the kids you're reading about is a bit of luck and maybe a little more common sense maybe

I don't know that there is an answer, people will always like doing stupid stuff in cars............ :(

Sleepy
regular

Post by Sleepy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:33 pm

I get so sick of the media beat up about p-platers. It's unbelievable. I just want to put something in perspective.

- In today's Sun Herald there was the following quote:
"A total of 12 young drivers and their passengers have been killed in horrific P-plate accidents in NSW in the past three months."
- The average number of deaths on NSW roads per year from 2001-2004 was 535.
- So in every three months, there are about 133 deaths on NSW roads.
- That is, assuming the statistics remain stable, while 12 people were killed at the hands of p-platers in the last three months, another 120 or so would have been killed at the hands of other drivers. (10 times more deaths!!)

It sickens me when the media and people like Harold Scruby blow stuff like this way out of proportion. While I agree that something needs to be done to lower the p-plate road toll, something also needs to be done to lower the rest of the road toll as well.

So, solutions to the p-plate problem?

- Limiting the number of passengers. Will it really reduce deaths? Or will it encourage youths to drink and drive? Will p-platers just remove their p-plates and do it anyway?

- Driver curfews. This is baseless bullshit. According to the RTA, 33% of fatal p-plate crashes occur between 10pm and 5am. That is, the majority of p-plate crashes occur during the day. Why don't we implement a daytime curfew on p-platers?

- Limiting types of cars available to p-platers. The system as it currently stands in NSW is a joke. Cars like a Merc C200K are banned because they are turbocharged. Yet they are far safer, and far less powerful than your standard Commodore or Falcon, both of which are not on the banned list. Mazda's RX8 is also not on the banned list (it "only" has a 1.3L engine). Hmmmmm. A much better idea would be to have a limit on the power-to-weight ratio. But having said all this, there's nothing to stop p-platers doing stupid things in dodgy old cars anyway, as several people have already mentioned (iggy, Chrisp).

- How about requiring more from p-platers than to be able to do a reverse park? How about forcing them to attend special driver training courses where they get practice at dealing with emergency situations? How about driver education beginning in primary school? How about providing free days at race tracks where p-platers can drive their cars fast in a controlled environment? I guarantee these sort of changes to licensing will result in fewer deaths. I also guarantee that many of them will never be implemented because they cost a fair bit of MONEY. And the state government is far happier to have a few more dollars in its pocket than save a few lives.

- How about parents doing their bit? Kids learn the "right" way to drive by watching their parents from a very young age. Speeding, flooring it off the lights, cornering hard and fast, abusing other motorists... kids pick up these things. Then parents wonder while their children end up dead on the roads.

What about solutions to the rest of the road toll?

- How about driver testing every five years, and every year from when you're 60? How about forcing drivers to fork out to attend defensive driving courses every few years?

While not a p-plater, I am sick to death of hearing the same tired old shit over and over. No one wants to face the problem with solutions that will make a difference, but may cost a little bit more. What's more important? Lower property taxes, for example, or the lives of your children?

End of rant.

Muley

Post by Muley » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:15 pm

AMEN! pretty much what i think when i hear much of the hype in the media.

rae
Local

Post by rae » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:35 pm

I agree with a lot of what you've said sleepy... u sure bout the statistics you've said?.. they just sound REALLY high

Some more things... yep some p-platers do the wrong thing, but how is it fair to punish ALL p-platers who do the right thing? Also, upping the age limit wont do much, unless they make it 30 or something silly, because when people are young, and they first get their liscence theyre inexperienced and some are going to kill theselves. its sad, but it's inevitable.

Though saying that, i think there's a change worth making. I think it's silly that you can jump straight from having to drive with a parent to driving a carload of friends. I only got my ps a couple of months ago and i did well enough driving by myself, but when i first took friends my driving sucked. BUT i dont think it's fair to just drag the whole liscencing process out by simply adding on an extra lot of restrictions. Why not a bit of give and take... let young drivers get their Ls 3 months earlier, do a year of that, then 3 months b4 they're 17 give them 6 months of a restricted system where they can drive by themselves but not take passengers. I just got my ps, and id be happy with that because id be able to drive myself earlier, but i think the 6 months of not taking passengers would've given me a chance to have to get used to doing things by myself, before the pressure of driving friends.

But then the gov would never do something like that, because imagine letting kids drive by themselves at a YOUNGER age. That could never be useful could it :roll:

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:58 pm

Rae,

that may be a good point re: passengers, it's so true that your passengers can be a bad influence (ever had your mates trying to grope each other........even when they're in the front & back seats) and when you're trying to do the responsible thing by going designated driver (which really should carry more rewards) and your drunk mates are making driving generally dangerous (Phil get your F***ing head back inside the car, no you're too ugly to go out with that chick),

So my summary of things that have been mentioned that may be useful:

- a 3 month "passenger probation", kind of like after your 50 hours are up & you've sat the test but before the full P plate license

- limit the power to weight ratio of cars (I agree even a v6 commodore is more than enough to get in trouble).....my feeling is there should be some common sense exceptions for cars with very high saftey ratings (although if you're kid's going to drive a bmw anyway they can drive a slow 3 series and not an M5)

- more driver training in how to deal with dangerous situations, my girlfriend just did a course and they showed her the difference between going through witches hats at 30 & 40, the difference freaked her out, plus I think the courses should show the difference in weight on the handling of a car, with 3 mates & luggage you've got an extra say 280-300 kgs in the car (compared to normal) this is 10-20% of the cars weight meaning it won't break as fast or handle as well, I think a lot of people underappreciate this (I know I've messed that up in the past)

On the topic, I hope that everyone drives safe this Christmas holidays, I'd still like to be hearing everyones opinion in 2007 :!:

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:24 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
salty wrote:P-platers do my head in!!
It was ever thus…
Yes, and I think back in our day it may have been worse. I've lost friends to motorbike crashes and had others rendered paraplegic within 12 months from leaving school.

There's a toxic combination when youngsters get behind the wheel:
  • An assumption of immortality - we've all been there :roll:
    Inexperience
    A lack of appreciation of the consequences of mistakes
    A predilection for pushing the envelope in a space where mistakes can be made that can't be undone
My old man forbade me from taking passengers while I was on my Ps. He also forbade me from driving the V8 Ford he had. Nevertheless, I still got the Honda Civic up to 160km/hr a coupla times late at night on the South Coast freeway. The car was on a knife edge - one little mistake with the wheel or an unexpected move from a car ahead could have left my parents childless.

I hate the nanny-state mentality that's a creeping disease in NSW, but for young drivers I'd support
* power-to-weight restrictions
* sensible passenger restrictions
* defensive driving courses five-yearly as a renewal requirement at driver expense throughout the life of your license.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:20 pm

Bought an ex police car at the auctions about 15 years ago ... a turbo charged nissan-motor commodore. i'd had a lot of experience driving but probably the best thing that happened was it got stolen and torched 'cos I'm sure it would have killed me. some of the pix i see of fatals look suspiciously like this breed of car which I suppose sell for about $1000 these days. shitty handling, shitty brakes, space shuttle-powered motor

fong

Post by fong » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:27 pm

how about introducing driverlearning classes in school :idea:

i think they do that in states :?:

i don't want see people on p's punished.....i just think theres far too many of them dying :cry:

and sure the problems been around 4 eva.....is that actually a exscue for not solving it :shock: like hello.....how many lifes need go b4 people start and look at way stop it :!: :x

there is a car culture out there.....which isn't a bad thing....but maybe they need access too racetracks or organised hill climbs :?:

p.s sorry hijack the thread and all......i can't imagine wat the familys of the kids who have died are going thu..... :cry: gonna b a pretty sucky xmas....this one and all the rest :cry:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:22 pm

Wasn't the last group of young people to die struck by another vehicle? Did this not have bugger all to do with them?

I have a daughter who's inches away from driving age and I'm acutely aware that the only thing standing between her and an accident of some kind while she's at the wheel is her own commonsense.

Yet I don't really believe "commonsense" is enough either. Nor is the current frantic media beat-up adding much to the proceedings.

I know getting a licence is way harder now than when I was 17, which I think is great! If it'd been harder back then, I know a couple of people who'd probably still be with us.