OBNOXIOUS SURFERS ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Demonicus
regular

Post by Demonicus » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:50 pm

principal skinner wrote:I was working up at Newcastle in the early 80s. I went into Ray Richards surf shop one day and there's the great MR himself up the back fixing some kids skateboard surrounded by grommets. Bloody champion.It seems the most obnoxious types are the dickheads with something to prove or know everything. Types best ignored.
i agree. seems to me there r many good surfers in the water with insecurity issues

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:03 pm

It could be true, not many people dare to be average and humble if they can surf well. From most good surfers I come across theres always a small chip on their shoulder - e.g. paddling to the inside of people, bad looks when you miss a wave that they were also paddling for, blatant disrespect to bodyboarders, slight unfriendliness, etc.

At the same time I always try and respect the better surfers in the water. I always make sure that I don't paddle to their inside at any time, etc. A lot of them deserve respect but I think that lot of them can demand it a little too much and go way too far at times.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:25 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:It could be true, not many people dare to be average and humble if they can surf well. From most good surfers I come across theres always a small chip on their shoulder - e.g. paddling to the inside of people, bad looks when you miss a wave that they were also paddling for, blatant disrespect to bodyboarders, slight unfriendliness, etc.

nicely said, i do agree with some of that. But the bodyboarders bit- a group of annoying teens flocking at one local reef, i think its right to be able disrespect in that situation...

If the lidder is a charger or respecting i have no problem in sharing. Not a chip on my shoulder, cause it is the same in life for most. Generally if there is a group of people being rude in a workplace or social scene- they are either ignored or treated the way they treat.

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:49 pm

By and large I agree with Cpt.Caveman and Demonicus but often those obnoxious types are only good surfers and not particularly great surfers.
In my experience the really talented are actually pretty good blokes.
I know of two examples: the first a Curl Curl guy JC who lives for surfing and surfs every big swell around Sydney, often by himself when so called hotshot surfers are nowhere to be seen; the second a guy at Bawley Point who is an amazing talent and has surfed Guillotines for 20+ years better than anybody.
Both are two of the most humble and friendly guys you would ever meet. Never snake, don't hog the waves and always willing to have a chat.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:03 pm

Longygrom wrote:
Cpt.Caveman wrote:It could be true, not many people dare to be average and humble if they can surf well. From most good surfers I come across theres always a small chip on their shoulder - e.g. paddling to the inside of people, bad looks when you miss a wave that they were also paddling for, blatant disrespect to bodyboarders, slight unfriendliness, etc.

nicely said, i do agree with some of that. But the bodyboarders bit- a group of annoying teens flocking at one local reef, i think its right to be able disrespect in that situation...

If the lidder is a charger or respecting i have no problem in sharing. Not a chip on my shoulder, cause it is the same in life for most. Generally if there is a group of people being rude in a workplace or social scene- they are either ignored or treated the way they treat.
i think you fail to understand bodyboarders DONT all come in groups. Never hear you bitch about large groups of surfers, toough it happens everyday most likely cause you do it. E.g Dee Why point last sunday 7 surfers came together? Not just bodoyboarders

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:09 pm

[quote="Demonicus" my observations over the last 4 yrs [/quote]

Its good to get the PLC outlook on surfing :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know how anyone managed to go surfing without your deep insights into the sport.
You should start a June Daly Watkins help column 8) 8)

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:35 am

Demonicus; have you ever thought that maybe they're good blokes with the 'game-face' on? I've got average ability but I know that I probably come across as a bit of a knob sometimes in the water. I don't drop in/ snake but I will paddle to peoples inside if they show no willingness to paddle closer to the peak when they've drifted wide. I tend to focus more now on what I'm doing rather than worrying about other people cos for years I had this anxiety problem that everyone in the water was judging my performance and it was causing me to kook it. Now the pressure's off I'm surfing better and getting waves. I'm not a prick by any stretch of the imagination; I just do what works for me in the urban jungle aka Sydney. :lol:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:53 am

localbogan wrote:In my experience the really talented are actually pretty good blokes.
There ya go demonicus. The worst-mannered surfers are the in-between crew. You're thinking they're pretty good and maybe they are next to you (no rudeness intended here ma'am), but in truth they're not that good. This makes 'em more desperate and aggressive.

Highly skilled surfers -- I'm not talking about the average semi-hot semi-local -- have little to prove to a typical Sydney crowd and find it very easy to flow around the pack and get a ton of waves.

Bit of a bell curve going on this one I reckon...beginners are nice because they're innocent and a bit scared; highly skilled surfers are nice - or tend to sort of ignore you - because it's a waste of energy to be otherwise and they don't need to impose themselves to get waves in any case. The middle layers raise the aggro level.

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:17 pm

The ones in the progressional stages.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:20 pm

i think that in sydney, the breaks are that packed, no one wants to chat or even say hello, cause they may feel like a p.rick when they are burning/snaking/dropping in. this can be mistaked for arrogance or being obnixious.

i grew up surfing the points n beaches of the north coast, and everyone is generally friendly. i find that down here there is none of that at all, but as soon as you get an hour outa here, its much more friendly/relaxed vibe in the water. in fact i hate surfing in sydney that much that as soon as i know the waves are at least half decent, id rather spend an extra hr in the car, get 3 times as many waves, and park right in front of the waves.

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:27 pm

y'know the only time anyone seems to have time for a chat is the early mornings, old blokes i dont even know say g'day. But i guess when theres 40 guys fighting over inconsistent 4 foot peaks nobody has time.

flipflop
Grommet

Post by flipflop » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:27 pm

localbogan wrote:In my experience the really talented are actually pretty good blokes.
That explains why im so chilled out in the surf. What do you reckon Dr Natho ?

Eddie Punchclock
Grommet

Post by Eddie Punchclock » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:27 pm

Putting too much pressure on myself to impress some imaginary audience or validate the fact that chasing waves is my lifes pursuit causes me to become a tool.Although any feeling of real progression leaves me on a blissful plane sometimes for days.

Demonicus
regular

Post by Demonicus » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:50 pm

just wish everyone would [could ?] share more. i agree that early WEEKDAY mornings seem ALOT better than other times or weekends.

savesealrocks
barnacle

Post by savesealrocks » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:35 pm

^ jeez that must have been a brain-buster to figure out.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:46 pm

Of course the other reason the top notch surfers are laid back may be because they've just come back from the Mentawis or Hawaii or Tahiti or somewhere rather than just trying to snare a rare peak at the local beach break for the last 6 months.
A week of quality surf somewhere usually puts things into perspective.

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:48 pm

Just read my post on this thread and it needs clarifying. I won't/don't paddle up the inside of anyone straight away. I'll sit near 'em for a couple of minutes and let a few waves come through but if they're just sitting there uninterested then I'll pounce. Also of course @ Maroubra I don't paddle inside any of the familiar faces cos that would just be stupid and show respect at all times to the old boys( as you should anyway). I grew up in a small town in NZ and never had to deal with crowds. These days when I go home on hols I enjoy the cruisier vibe in the water. I wish it could be like that here... but it ain't :!: