Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

ac2026
regular

Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia

Post by ac2026 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:05 pm

This place looks farking amazing :D :D :D :D :D

Has anyone been to this place ????

See what i mean here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py6GjDxAA4Y

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:59 pm

There in 1980. An American only other surfer. Great waves off the lost city, down around Kiti and at the harbour mouth. Often just too big for my ability and for me to surf on my own.

Heard amazing stories while I was there about Kusai (Kosrae) the next high island to the east.

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:44 am

That clip there is what surfin is all about...

and.. i love that song

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:11 am

I would like a ticket.....

snakes

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:34 pm

Squid wrote:that's nice. the "kelly sleater" tow-in on the same page is worth checking. the wave looks like a bloody ski slope!
Squid, That's Mike Parsons in the opening scene from Billabong Oddessy. Not Kelly Sleater, or Slater (or Laird Hamilton).

shish
regular

Post by shish » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:26 pm

the surf travel companies refer to the place generically as the Caroline islands. I guess they dont want you to start turning up there yourself and not staying at the surf camp. That break is called P-Pass. Its been in heaps of magazines lately
yeehaa!

Beaver
regular

Post by Beaver » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:28 pm

i've seen that vid before, I think its out of an ASL DVD

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:10 pm

I guess they refer to them as the Caroline Islands because as a group that was their name for a long time. Some islands in that group form the Federated States of Micronesia, others don't.

Islands and groups of islands in the Pacific change their names often - Ponape, Pohnpei, Kosrae, Kusai.

Demonicus
regular

Post by Demonicus » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:44 pm

been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.
http://www.globalsurfguides.com/micropsc.htm

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:56 am

Yeah look I wouldn't go there, it's terrible. Soft mushy waves and it's more expensive than Japan. Plus big f**k-off stingrays EVERYWHERE -- just like the one that got Steve.

I repeat, no tubes AT ALL. :lol:

Demonicus
regular

Post by Demonicus » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:42 am

hmm, must be the water temp. of 26 C [year round] that attracts all those rays :D

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:05 pm

well there's that, plus of course all the sea snakes ... stingrays love eating sea snakes, and Pohnpei is renowned as the world seasnake capital.

And tigers! Yep tigers roam the streets. You can't go outside without a gun and a suit of armour, which really sucks in that tropical heat.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:12 pm

I did actually jump out of a boat right on top of a seasnake when I was there in 1980. We both shat ourselves. Lots of sharks, big sharks, down the southeast coast, around the ruined city.

Most dangerous things on the island were the rivers full of human excrement and the fully armed guards on the drug crops in the mountains. The guy who ran them drove around in an ex-military vehicle in full battle fatigues.

Most sleezy thing I saw were the middle-aged Aussie and Kiwi expats dressed in Bermuda shorts and long socks picking up the local 12 year olds after the bars closed.

Hard place to get to now Air Nauru has gone, very expensive to live, not the best looking girls you've ever seen... but great waves.

By the way, fantastic hospital built for the islanders by the yanks ... pity they don't have any doctors or medicine.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:03 pm

did ya know that the Californian you were hanging with (Allen Hamilton?) was attacked by a shark in the pass?

Felix given your name, I'm surprised you didn't see all those freakin' tigers. And Vampire Bats, the bastards are everywhere! Leaping out of the huge-leafed jungle vegetation and sinking their horrid fangs into jugulars left and right. They make the vast rivers of human shit seem like Fountains of Youth.

Demonicus
regular

Post by Demonicus » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:33 pm

what is wrong with you people ! there are no...ah, forget it :?

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:56 pm

The only big cat I saw while I was there was a Willy Mason clone named Waltice who after a few beers and a lot of Sakau (Kava) took a real fancy to my little white arse, much to the amusement of the other locals and my so-called mates.

It was pretty funny as 5'9" me told 6'4" Waltice that I thought he was a nice person but if he laid a hand on that part of me I would place the spear from that speargun between his fuckin eyes.

Needless to say, I retained my virginity by leaving immediately.

Now 20 years later, I must say, he was a lot better looking than most of the women on the island and probably a much nicer person than that fuckin bitch I married!!