Depression

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Meataxe
barnacle

Depression

Post by Meataxe » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:29 pm

Given that afflicts so many I'm interested to hear about people's experience with depression - both in themselves and those around them. what caused it? how did it manifest? how it was treated?

I've gone from being totally oblivious to it in my teenage years and early twenties to now seeing varying degrees of it all around me. Particularly in those around my age (24).

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:36 pm

I was in my first year of uni when i met my first serious bf.we had been seeing each other for over a month when one night he admitted he was on anti-depressants and said he could understand if i wanted to break up with him because of it.I didn't.

The next few months were rough.on a given night when we'd talk on the phone he would say stuff like "i was driving back home over the bridge (not the harbour bridge some bridge on the central coast) and i thought to myself, i could just jump off and kill myself" or he'd tell me how he had thoughts of hanging himself from the top of the garage.

I bet it's hard for people who are depressed but it is so hard to try and support someone with it as well.years after we broke up i would always wonder if he had eventually committed suicide or gotten better.then finally this year we accidentally got back into contact and met up and he seems to have gotten over his depression....hopefully he is.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:43 pm

I've suffered from it for years & now I'm a bit past 40. I'm not bipolar or anything but I think it's to due with chemicals and the brain. Coffee slows me down doesn't wake me up, beer wakes me up not slows me down. No way I could take speed or anything as it depresses.
Avoiding alcohol being consumed daily helps keep it at bay, but I have no idea why it hits. It's not triggered by any tangible event or occurance. Everything can be going really well then it hits.
Surfing often as possible seems to be the best medicine for me, even if it is only a foot high. Funny having a bad session doesn't bring it on I just look forward to the next day.When it does hit you really need to focus, make yourself aware of it and try to do something to distract you so you don't start getting lost in your own thoughts.
Last edited by Shaunm on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crooked
Local

Post by crooked » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:44 pm

Yo Meat man- Im 26 and I did notice that around 22-24 depression was more around me than other parts of my life- kinda like the 'doldrum' years a bit.

You've prolly done enough clubbing and going out running amok- the gloss has worn off that kinda lifestyle

You ain't serious enough to be arsed with taking a career seriuosly yet

its a time in ya life when youv'e done shitloads but are kinda weighing up your future options a bit

Its like youve just run over a big hill only to see a fricken mountain in front of you.

Some people see it as a challenge that they want to tackle, others see it as a challenge that's too great- drugs and alcohol heal the pain but they only make that mountain bigger.

Just my thoughts anyway- talk to me when ya 25-26 and see if its changed a bit- I found that it (depression) kinda just dissappeared from around me - but Im a lucky duck.

Hope its all good bro- if not go surfin!

savesealrocks
barnacle

Post by savesealrocks » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:45 pm

i'd agree with you there mate, although i'm 19, the majority of my mates would be around 24-25 and its clearly evident in this age bracket rather than mine. have had a one mate go quite "downhill" with anxiety and depression issues in the last 12-18 months.

i've found that most dont go down the stereotypical route of boozing or 'excessive' drug use, but simply lose the will to do things in both their social and working lives. it seems to create a ripple effect in friendships aswell (due to some taking sides etc) and really is a big problem.

in all honesty mate, it appears to me that if you don't nip it in the bud with a stern word or equivalent action, you'll have a "baby" on your hands who does not wish to help themselves and rests heavily on others to get through things. sounds extremely ignorant, but stopping it in the first place and making them mature themselves to get over it seems the best option.

the correlation between an ever growing depression problem and a lacking disciplinary/respect in younger life seems quite applicable. TO ME.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Depression

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:45 pm

Meataxe wrote:Given that afflicts so many I'm interested to hear about people's experience with depression - both in themselves and those around them. what caused it? how did it manifest? how it was treated?

I've gone from being totally oblivious to it in my teenage years and early twenties to now seeing varying degrees of it all around me. Particularly in those around my age (24).
I suffered from some depressive episodes about three or four years back related to unresolved grief concerning the death of a parent (my mother) when quite young ... had successfully buried it for over 30 years but it finally resurfaced.

It manifested as feelings of powerlessness and gloom occasionally surging into periods of quite black despair, which seemed to have no direct relationship to anything and which couldn't really be helped by anything. Eventually with some help I was able to locate the source, dig up and experience the unresolved emotional backlog, and the depressive episodes haven't returned -- though the memory of 'em is still quite strong.

Although I have a pretty high happiness setting generally, while in a depressive episode I couldn't do anything at all and I found it quite frightening to be rendered so incapable by this nameless gloom. Have to say as a result I have no patience at all with people who tell others "snap out of it!" and suchlike.

Surfing was almost no good to me at all through the period and later I figured out that I'd used surfing at times as a kind of self-medication, to keep a block on the unresolved emotional issues -- a bit like an addiction seems to work. Once I had gone through the honest experiencing of the blocked emotion, surfing came back to me with great ease and enjoyment!

From this experience I would say re depression, it's real, it's more powerful than you can at first imagine, yet for many people I suspect, beyond it lies hope.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:52 pm

unresolved grief sounds familiar to me...

you think perhaps if you had an outlet for it,you would not have gone through it?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:08 pm

I think grief is a most powerful and tenacious emotion and it's best experienced as close to the cause as possible. In this case yes, I would have liked to have been helped with it at the time; I was just a little bloke and had no idea what it meant or how to grieve for my poor mum. I think if I hadn't been forced into a corner with it, eventually it might've killed me, so in a funny sort of way I'm grateful.

fong

Post by fong » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:08 pm

:roll: i could pm u some stuff but i'll fess up :oops:

most u know i suffered a deep depression mayb 10 months ago....came on after buggering me ankle but i know the cause lot deeper than that...in my case having a injury that laid me up and stop me from doing anything...just set my illness off :cry:

i got some good help ( not least all :shock: these forums :shock: :lol: )

got a gp i could talk too.....went on antidepressents....that i got say aren't a answer for everyone and u really need lot support around u if u choose the tablets :!:

and happy...stupier than eva now :lol: :lol: :lol:

as far unresolved grief....yeah...i seen alot death....i dunno :cry:

now days i just get pissed at the wake and forget i eva knew them :?:

p.s heavy pot smokin :arrow: is a sure fire way down :oops:

p.p.s so is having a rude ,nasty, f.ck of a workplace :twisted:

time heals all wounds.....but t.l.c is the best medicine :wink:

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:21 pm

I was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder along with obsessive compulsive disorder.

Chamberess has it nailed - it IS hard on the person suffering from the illnesses, but it's just as hard on the people that are close to them. There was a period where my wife wouldn't let me go anywhere by myself because of her concern about what I'd do to myself. Imagine what it's like to live with someone that's depressed and suicidal one minute, and then thinking they're going to take on the world the next! Taxing!

I've said to friends of mine that if you have unwanted thoughts that won't go away; if you're catatonic and even things that made you happy no longer do; if your behaviour is starting to affect your work or your relationships, then go and get help. Get yourself a good GP. Don't settle for just popping into the medical centre. Find a GP and stick with them. And don't accept a GP that wants to write you a prescription straight away.

My GP ended up referring me to a psychiatrist. I had about six sessions with him and I tried a lot of things - cognitive bahaviour therapies etc etc - before we decided to go down the medication route. I was put on an anti-depressant which seemed fine until one night I had a psychotic episode and tried to kill myself. I don't recall much about that evening, but even today, on the bad days, I find myself thinking about how easy it would all be...

Now I am taking anti-psychotic medication. I've dramatically cut down my alcohol intake, and have steered clear of the other stuff (dope makes me anxious, cocaine just doesn't do anything except burn a hole in my wallet) for some time now. I've taken up ashtanga yoga again, and am just trying to enjoy the simple things. But along with all that, I do have constant nicotine cravings. Go figure that one!

And it seems to be working. Kinda. Of course the medication comes at a price. It causes you to gain weight. I've put on at least 10kgs in the last 6 weeks. It makes you sweat like a pig, especially at night, and it has messed with my co-ordination. These things bother me, but my wife says "what, you'd rather be thin and dead?"

I don't know what the answer to that is.

But the upshot of all this is that if you have concerns - GO GET HELP!

If you have concerns right now, call Lifeline: 13 11 44

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:36 pm

Interesting topic.

I have had periods of fairly bleak thinking and moods at various points in my life. The precursors to these events can't be easily attributed to one thing and could be influenced by a variety of factors e.g.: alcohol, weather, work stress, drugs, relationships, family etc . The thing that I have learnt is to try and work through things and that nothing is permanent even low moods.

There is a term for people suffering depression in their 20's - It was coined "quarter life chrisis" by an author. I don't know if you are any more likeley to be depressed in your 20's, 30's or even 40's I think any number of things can set depression off at any life stage.

I also think an important factor in dealing with lifes difficulties is how you think about things. An awesome book that expands on this subject is called "Learned Optimism" by Martin Seligman. This is not some kind of happy clappy self help book but rather a study of how different attitudes and beliefs can influence mood (dramatically) and outcomes with solid case studies. I'm not suggesting this is a literary panacea to all of lifes woes but it can provide a really interesting insight into psychology and could potentially provide techniques to help manange depressive thinking. Anyway thats my two cents. (The scary thing about depression is that the world health organisation is picking that it may be a major epidemic in th coming century - I can only think that regular surfing can't be bad for you)

fong

Post by fong » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:37 pm

theres a light end tunnel....just dims and blackouts....but if u hung in there it comes back in foccus...and soon u emerge into the full sunlight :lol:

theres no shame in being sick.....weather it's a broken leg or cancer or mental illness :!:
Last edited by fong on Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ado
Grommet

Post by ado » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:38 pm

Don't post much but this topic hits a chord

I've suffered depression since I was about 16 and about 4 years ago was diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder. Im now 34. I see a psychiatrist about once every 6 weeks and I take about four different drugs to keep me stable. My quality of life has improved substantially thanks to proffessional help without which I can honestly say I would not be here today. Surfing has been a constant in my life and plays a pivotal role in keeping me happy and balanced.
Words are inadequate to describe what one feels when they are depressed, suffice to say that it is like torture in the sense that you cannot escape your head.
Also, word of advice to those who are looking after loved ones/friends who are depressed, never ever tell them to 'get over it'. That is almost as damaging as the depression and will only serve to drive that person deeper into despair.
These days things are looking brighter but I cannot help looking over my shoulder to see if its still there.

Ado

vortex
charger

Post by vortex » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:47 pm

I think we all experience varying degrees of depression, especially through turbulent times like the teenage years. I've never really had it tough, and i'm really happy with where i am right now. Having said that, it's horrible watching someone close to you finding life so hard.

There's a definite difference between having a bummed out month or so and being a clinical sufferer. It's a vicious cycle too - Even in a beautiful scenario they can feel guilty for being so privileged to be there, like they dont deserve it. And this can lead to worse feelings as they realise theyre not even happy when life is so good. More guilt.

It's all about perspective, I think depression makes it that much harder to stop, refocus, and genuinely believe that the glass is half full. Having good people around you makes all the difference, and you absolutely have to keep busy. Surf, draw, study, whatever. This is why a beach-focussed lifestyle is so great i reckon. You're not sitting around indoors, you're getting up early and generally taking care of yourself so that you can get out there chasing something natural and something free.

I'm a big believer in being your own man at this stage of my life (early 20s). Of not being dependent on anyone and not having anyone dependent on what you choose to do at any given time. Easier said than done, when someone close to you is depressed. But there's a happy balance, i can't say i dont derive happiness out of helping put her back in a good mood. Bad days with the good.

http://www.fat-pie.com/scribblewatch.htm

savesealrocks
barnacle

Post by savesealrocks » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:50 pm

don't mean to hijack at all, but Iggy with regards to the acid dealy, why do you feel it had a contributing factor towards your pseudo-depression?

acid has done nothing, but give me positive confirmations on things i already thought were there to be enjoyed.

savesealrocks
barnacle

Post by savesealrocks » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:01 pm

^ exactly what i thought you'd say 8) don't go freakin me out now i got a doof on satdi. :lol:

max
Grommet

Post by max » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:15 pm

Depression is an onshore wind.. and reading the mindless tripe from wannabe phsychoanalysts on these forums. Use sunscreen.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:27 pm

Hey boys if you don't think drugs aren't linked to mental illness, including depression, then you are sadly mistaken. My missus is studying mental health for work, and my great mate is a psych nurse (and hates a choof). Not the only cause of depression and mental illness, but I reckon drugs would be a grand final contender.

Seen my son get depressed so bad he considered the worse, and it had nothing to do with seeking attention or drugs. Can't describe how gut wrenching it is living with that fear and feeling of helplessness for your own. Chose the counselling path and a lot of covert operations and sought personal advise and glad to say he's come through it and is stronger for the experience.

Meataxe, I'm unsure of the stats but I'm pretty sure that there's not a soul on this planet who hasn't either experienced depression directly or via a loved one. It's huge.