Ethics Of Surf Reporting Part ?????

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Laurie McGinness
regular

Ethics Of Surf Reporting Part ?????

Post by Laurie McGinness » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:38 pm

Friday: Perfect conditions at the majority of Sydney beaches...what do we get on realsurf.....six pictures of DY! I thought we were over this crap. If you want to run an internet surf report you have a responsibility to report fairly and accurately on the conditions and spread the coverage over all the locations in your area. Too busy/lazy/stupid to do that? Then give the game away 'cos you're no part of a solution.....you're part of the problem.

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:06 pm

What's your contribution to life?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:08 pm

So THAT's why nobody was out at Narrabeen :lol:

surfaus
regular

Post by surfaus » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:11 pm

I see the bad moons a risen!!! It must that time of the month!!!

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:17 pm

I think if you read the frontpage Don's away down south krackin some big ones, so that's probably why. Kreepykrawley was given the password to post some pics but left it at the pub, so I guess that was the best someone could do on this day. Besides most of us were in the water somewhere today.

Clarky
regular

Post by Clarky » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:55 pm

dont worry, i get ya laurie.... 6 pics of dy isn't enough.

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:12 pm

Agreed, totally. We need at least 10.
Laurie, if you had a clue about surfing you could tell where would be working, I don't do Geography at school, and I can figure it out. Surely, a he she of your calibre could predict the oceans happenings.
Also, the majority of activity on this site is for forums and reviews of the days surf.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:37 pm

Responsibility to whom? You? That's funny. How about getting off your arse & go have a look, or work out for yourself where the pick of the spots are. Besides, Realsurf ain't the only place on the web to get reports from...

snakes
barnacle

Re: Ethics Of Surf Reporting Part ?????

Post by snakes » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:07 pm

Laurie McGinness wrote:If you want to run an internet surf report you have a responsibility to report fairly and accurately on the conditions and spread the coverage over all the locations in your area. Too busy/lazy/stupid to do that? Then give the game away 'cos you're no part of a solution.....you're part of the problem.
So since you obviously haven't contributed, that would make you part of the problem too, right?

snakes

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:11 pm

I too would prefer to see photos of places other than DY but seeing I seldom post photos myself I'm not complaining.

Unless you choose to pay, it's all free.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:13 pm

I too would prefer to see photos of places other than DY but seeing I seldom post photos myself I'm not complaining.

Unless you choose to pay to use this site, it's all free.

................or is Laurie just winding us all up, shake the cage and see what happens ?

andycumo
Local
Location: anywhere thats shallow and hollow and uncrowded. ie; not sydney

Post by andycumo » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:16 pm

hey laurie lucky u had perfect bazas with hardly any1 out. god that place is sick. personally i have been scoring some sick waves with minimal crowds lately. stoked.

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:21 pm

Laurie McGinness wrote:...what do we get on realsurf.....six pictures of DY! I thought we were over this crap. If you want to run an internet surf report you have a responsibility you're part of the problem.
hay *** what did you do today?
well obviosuly you didnt read this "I've hauled some friends down the coast from Sydney to lovely Ulladulla " which means the owner of the site is curnetly not even in sydney....

show some respect...
people like maxi, butts, don and the other fotogs out there work there ass off purely for this site and its 'conributors'

what do you contribute?
dont see you ever posting fotos or contributing to major posts and dicussions
get a fucken life if u dont like the site fuck off you *** and get off you fat lazy ass and and post some foto's before having a rant about this site.

maxi
charger

Post by maxi » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:39 pm

Laurie McGinness wrote:If you want to run an internet surf report you have a responsibility to report fairly and accurately on the conditions and spread the coverage over all the locations in your area.
Having done a rough count of the pics since last Saturday i.e. last 7 days, there were 67 surf shots. Of those, 34 were of DY and 33 were of other spots.

Yes - it is a bias towards DY - but seeing 3 of Butts' shots or 6 doesn't change how it looks. But there was pretty good coverage of other spots -- most days had a few locations. These are the spots that had pics on the front page for the last 7 days....

Sat: DY / Long Reef / Collaroy / Narrabeen / Newport / Avalon
Sun: Narrabeen / DY
Mon: Curly / Dy / Narrabeen / Avalon / Newport
Tues: Bondi / DY / Nth Steyne / Manly
Wed: Dy / No Mans
Thurs: Narrabeen / DY / Queenscliff / Nth Steyne
Fri: Narrabeen / DY

And what about Swellnet. Narrabeen is the only nthn beaches spot they report on. Are you similarly critical of them as they don't "spread the coverage over all the locations ..."
Laurie McGinness wrote:Too busy/lazy/stupid to do that? Then give the game away 'cos you're no part of a solution.....you're part of the problem.
Pretty strong language don't you think Laurie? Given the range of locations covered in pics above.
Last edited by maxi on Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:01 pm

People being blown up in Lebanon, starving and suffering throughout Africa and Asia, thousands being murdered daily in the US and we, yes WE! only get photos of DY. Life is just unfair. :cry:.
Complain when you really have something to complain about.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

fong

Post by fong » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:03 pm

ok....i'll try b postive :arrow:

1st...i don't surf dy :lol:

2nd i considered postin pics of spots up here (nth COAST ) going off....but it's such a effort to do....and if it's going off i'd rather b out there 8)

so credit to photos on this site....and a little negativity too admin 4 not coming good with a prize in the big swell photo comp ( never to late :idea: )

3....laurie i really appreciate most u posts....but if u want see wat the surfs like...check a surf cam....or (even better) look 4 u self :lol:

this site is wat is.......ALL ABOUT ME :!: :lol: :wink:
p.s this latest swell ( how good is this year :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: ) has failed produce anything up here :? ....the points aren't doin it at all....stay home /go south.....nothin see here :wink: :lol: :lol:

maxi
charger

Post by maxi » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:12 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:gotta say that I am a teensy bit put off by all the gear taken at Poles lately...next we'll be getting..."third walkway; North Curl Curl"

I'm not necessarily agreeing with my old mate Lozza because I'd like to think I'm not that unrealistic, but, on the other hand, if more people see good shots of no-mans/poles whaddever, then more will be encouraged to walk that extra two hundred yards.

And I'd prefer that they didn't and so do a few other people...
Fair point RRon. It has been pretty much saturation coverage of the DY / No Man's stretch. I personally haven't felt a huge increase in numbers there ... but I also tend to surf after the early so not sure what its been like.

Maybe there needs to be a limit of the number of pics from any one spot / day. Two or three max .... but if it's TC Wati conditions then as many as will fit!

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:48 pm

Is someone using Laurie's username? Doesn't sound like the usual quality we get from him.