Ethics Of Surf Reporting Part ?????

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:32 am

chrisb wrote:I too would prefer to see photos of places other than DY but seeing I seldom post photos myself I'm not complaining.
Thats the only reason I am not a "friend of realsurf"
I am not going ot whinge (much!) about it because volunteers do put a lot of time and effort into providing photos and reports, and that is greatly appreciated. but I am not ready to fork out $85 for a Tshirt, a daily photo of Dee why and a report that could be up anywhere from 7am to 3pm or not at all. I will pay good money when I get a good service. coastalwatch offers reports for several beaches, always reported on before 7.30am plus they have webcams and its free!

as some one said further up (or was it down?) what makes this site is the forums and peoples reviews and photos from previous surfs. It is more a good online surf community then online reports.

now I'm off for a wave before all the weekend warriors crowd it out!

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:28 am

fong wrote:ok....i'll try b postive :arrow:

1st...i don't surf dy :lol:
BAM!

We have a winner.

snakes

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:54 pm

maxi wrote:
Rockin' Ron wrote:gotta say that I am a teensy bit put off by all the gear taken at Poles lately...next we'll be getting..."third walkway; North Curl Curl"

I'm not necessarily agreeing with my old mate Lozza because I'd like to think I'm not that unrealistic, but, on the other hand, if more people see good shots of no-mans/poles whaddever, then more will be encouraged to walk that extra two hundred yards.

And I'd prefer that they didn't and so do a few other people...
Fair point RRon. It has been pretty much saturation coverage of the DY / No Man's stretch. I personally haven't felt a huge increase in numbers there ... but I also tend to surf after the early so not sure what its been like.

Maybe there needs to be a limit of the number of pics from any one spot / day. Two or three max .... but if it's TC Wati conditions then as many as will fit!
Slightly off the point (no pun intended) but I, as a weekend warrior, must say that over the past year the Poles area has become significantly more crowded. What last year was a place to escape the crowds has become a place where the crowds now go.

Have the RS photos done this? I don't know.

Furthermore, if RS wants to obtain money from me this year they will need to improve both the timing and volume of their weekend coverage. I would suggest that the weekday surfers are significantly better catered for than the weekend surfers yet the weekenders would form the vast majority.

maxi
charger

Post by maxi » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:10 pm

chrisb wrote: Slightly off the point (no pun intended) but I, as a weekend warrior, must say that over the past year the Poles area has become significantly more crowded. What last year was a place to escape the crowds has become a place where the crowds now go.

Well - they can hardly be keeping the crowds away :!:

The other problem is that surf pics tend to make conditions look better than they really are. So, if there is saturation coverage of what is basically 200m of beach then the average punter will probably have a better chance of seeing surprisingly good looking conditions at DY / No Mans and thinks "Hmmm.... maybe I'll have a paddle up there on the weekend."

... looks like Laurie may have something of a point after all :? .... that if a surf site is reporting on the conditions on (largely) the Northern Beaches - then the overall balance of quantity and quality of content should reflect that - and not focus content so heavily on one or two spots. Not an easy thing to achieve though - when mainly relying on non-paid input.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:40 pm

I personally think we need more photos of DY looking unreal. The more the better!!!
The only other places that need to be covered are south palmy, 'no mans ' at mona and little narrabeen. All those places are going off big time lately.

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:46 am

you can also use the dy pics to judge what other beaches would be like..

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:54 pm

chrisb wrote:Slightly off the point (no pun intended) but I, as a weekend warrior, must say that over the past year the Poles area has become significantly more crowded. What last year was a place to escape the crowds has become a place where the crowds now go.

What I reckon is funny about all this angst is that almost all the photos of ol Poles or wherever make it look kind of crappy! I'm sure I'm not the only human who surfed waves this past Thursday that made those posted on this site look like a bad day at Collaroy. (And as we all know, a good day at Collaroy is a bad day everywhere else!)

Like why would such photos cause you to race to a location in any case?

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:41 am

I'd like to see more photos of spots further up the peninsula. Barrenjoey was looking okay on Friday, but no shots. And, now that Larry's contributions are very irregular, when is someone going to start posting reports and pics about Whale beach, Avalon, Newport, etc? We need to spread the crowd around and get more people heading further north.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:56 am

Meataxe wrote:What's your contribution to life?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So many people complain, always talk about change yo
but what's your contribution to life?

Butts

Post by Butts » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:06 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:gotta say that I am a teensy bit put off by all the gear taken at Poles lately...next we'll be getting..."third walkway; North Curl Curl"

I'm not necessarily agreeing with my old mate Lozza because I'd like to think I'm not that unrealistic, but, on the other hand, if more people see good shots of no-mans/poles whaddever, then more will be encouraged to walk that extra two hundred yards.

And I'd prefer that they didn't and so do a few other people...
Rockin' Ron, fair call and apologise for the slight saturation over the last 2 weeks. :oops:

Chrisb, I'm not too sure the pics would have too much to do with it as I
think its more to do with the weather/temps we have been having.
Remember this time last year, freezing your privates off, black and blue feet
to be out scoring some with only the dedicated few. :wink:
As for coverage on the weekends, I don't generally surf on the weekends
as I have other things to do, but if I get down I generally will post some images.

As for Laurie, apologies that the only pics were DY. I drive 30 kms every morning @ 6:00,
to check the conditions, have a paddle and takes some snaps. :shock:
I'm not a local.
If you surf, take a camera down to your beach, have your session and then
post a couple of your images. I can't afford, nor have the time to jaunt up
and down the coast to get a couple of pics of different beaches.
I'm there primarily to surf first, take snaps after :wink:
DY just happens to be where I surf 8)

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:32 pm

moreorless wrote:I'd like to see more photos of spots further up the peninsula. Barrenjoey was looking okay on Friday, but no shots. And, now that Larry's contributions are very irregular, when is someone going to start posting reports and pics about Whale beach, Avalon, Newport, etc? We need to spread the crowd around and get more people heading further north.
Yeah! Come on up, everyone! Nobody surfs here other than seachange boomers, grumpy ex world champs, thousands of psycho ultragrommets with sexy mums, hopeless backpackers, 16-y-o Mona Vale terrorizing bodyboarders, and Larry. :lol:

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:54 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: sexy mums
can you provide introductions? :lol:

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:06 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Yeah! Come on up, everyone! Nobody surfs here other than seachange boomers, grumpy ex world champs, thousands of psycho ultragrommets with sexy mums, hopeless backpackers, 16-y-o Mona Vale terrorizing bodyboarders, and Larry.
Sounds like Manly, only far less crowded. :D

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:08 pm

I just hope that was not a typo from Nick. I hope he was not getting his M mixed up with his B with that quote.

Ill give him the benefit of the doubt over mums and bums.

insomniac
regular

Post by insomniac » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:53 pm

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:55 pm

I was up at BJ everyday - sitting up in the dunes watching set waves going unridden - watching portly middle-aged boardriders being unable to jog all the way from the carpark to the cliffs - hoping to see someone doing something worth watching -

Surf reporting isn't worth the paper it isn't written on ~ whether it be done on the net, in the newspaper, on TV, on the radio, or by mobile or text message.... The daily synoptic chart and a barometer is plenty

dilution

Post by dilution » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:58 pm

Larry wrote:Surf reporting isn't worth the paper it isn't written on ~ whether it be done on the net, in the newspaper, on TV, on the radio, or by mobile or text message.... The daily synoptic chart and a barometer is plenty
Yeah, but it's nice to look at the pics and read Dons quirky comments anyway.

Live in Queensy, local is Northern beaches. If there's too many pics of DY you've only got about 100 other spots to try in 30km of NBeaches. I surf everywhere on the Northerm beaches, and honestly don't have a crowd issue - on the whole I get reasonably uncrowded waves all the time (except the bower - the exception in which you bare the crowd for the quality)

Hey Larry, where's the stories - haven't seen one for a while.
OFF the TOP

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:13 pm

What does posting of pictures have to do with ethical surf reporting if you have no control over it?

I surf at Dee Why mainly up toward the pole or wherever I think is OK relative to the crowd factor etc, but never the Point.

Yes, the pole region has been more crowded but I would have thought that was more to do with some reasonable banks and perhaps crowd migration up the coast. Pretty soon we’ll all be surfin’ with Nick and Dinosaur. :twisted:

Seen plenty of good shots of Manly, N & S Narra, Avalon, Curly do I go jump in the car and go surfing there, nup, not because of some shots on here cause they’re ALL lies I tell you...

1/1000th of a second of glory, it’s all a myth perpetuated by these evil photographers maxibutts... :twisted: