What's the deal with the Steamers?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

offshore
regular

What's the deal with the Steamers?

Post by offshore » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:09 pm

Ok, so the water at Sydney's beaches is currently the warmest it ever gets, something like 24C.

So why are there dudes out there in steamers?

I had two surfs today and there must have been a dozen dudes out there fully rubbered up. The majority were boogers, but a few of em were surfers.

What's the story? I feel sick in a steamer in water over about 19C.

Blind
regular

Post by Blind » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:38 am

mate im one of em steamer (and lid) wearing fellas. I do it cause i get really shocking boardie rash (no matter what baordies i try i get em, its just my super sensitive and lush, beautiful skin) and the rash stops me from enjoying the next day.

I also find my steamer really comfy (its a spring ripcurl elestorubber steamer) and it also looks pretty pro compared to my multi coloured mismatching rashy/boardies. But my main reason is cause of the rash, and i know many people who get rashes, so maybe some of em do it for the same reason.
Cheers

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

offshore
regular

Post by offshore » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:37 am

Blind wrote:mate im one of em steamer (and lid) wearing fellas. I do it cause i get really shocking boardie rash (no matter what baordies i try i get em, its just my super sensitive and lush, beautiful skin) and the rash stops me from enjoying the next day.

I also find my steamer really comfy (its a spring ripcurl elestorubber steamer) and it also looks pretty pro compared to my multi coloured mismatching rashy/boardies. But my main reason is cause of the rash, and i know many people who get rashes, so maybe some of em do it for the same reason.
Yep I thought there must be some sort of reason like this.

Do you find you get too hot though?

What about a Springy or a poof suit, wouldn't that do the job of stopping a rash?

Blind
regular

Post by Blind » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:10 pm

sure it would. If only i had the money to get different suits for different conditions.

It doesn't get unbearably hot, the worst part is walking to the beach but once your in the water it is real refreshing. If it gets stick just dive underneath the water and float around, like i said ide rather take the heat then the rash.
Cheers

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

walloper
regular

Post by walloper » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:15 pm

I cracked out my old steamer today, it lets in plenty of water so it was perfect. I just bought a newy the other week, sealed and everything, and I hate it. Sure it keeps me ridiculously warm, too warm at the moment, but it's just a bit too tight on me and my arms get buggered so quickly. It's a medium Rip Curl Classic Sealed, who wants it?

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:22 pm

depends how much... :lol:

walloper
regular

Post by walloper » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:37 pm

CTT, hopefully as much as I can get. I paid $250 for it, I've used it 3 times, haven't even pissed in it yet, it was always too hot. I'm gonna have to fork out big dollars for a good one because without that elasto all over they just don't fit me right.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:01 pm

i can go anyhting up 2 $200, hows that sound? thats really my limit though. can ya gimme allt eh details? PM me

Luke
Local

Post by Luke » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:59 pm

maybe they're to povo to buy some boardies rash vest, spring suit, short john, steamer etc... man that's like $1k worth there decent shit anyway

so they go the the best option of staying warm get a steamer, sure it must suck and fully hot in summer but atleast they get the benefit's of winter...

it's like saying a guy who only has boardies and rash vest just for summer but for winter it suck's major elephant testical's..

:P

offshore
regular

Post by offshore » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:22 pm

Luke wrote:maybe they're to povo to buy some boardies rash vest, spring suit, short john, steamer etc... man that's like $1k worth there decent shit anyway

so they go the the best option of staying warm get a steamer, sure it must suck and fully hot in summer but atleast they get the benefit's of
$1000 is a bit over the top. These steamer dudes can pick up a poofsuit for summer for about $120.

Nothing like $1000.

Luke
Local

Post by Luke » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:56 pm

i was talking about all together.

aaronn
barnacle

Re: What's the deal with the Steamers?

Post by aaronn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:38 am

24 degrees C in April, that is warm

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:08 pm

at the end of each winter i can't wait to shed the rubber.
i too feel physically ill if i wear a wetty if the water is warm & the air temp is mild to hot, along with a bit of humidity.
i too wonder about guys wearing steamers, but i guess i'm lucky i don't get boardie rash too much, only if i walk heaps with them on & they're wet, which is not often.
i don't even put my springy on until well in autumn
by the time mother's day comes around each year, when it gets a bit chilly & the SW's are a blowin' - i'm usually in the steamer! i'm also usually in my winter pj's by then as well!
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:50 am

While we are at it, what's the go with "thongs and steamer while walk to the beach"? Not the whole kit for a day on the sand, but simply board, wettie and thongs. The pavement ain't that hot, nor the gravel that sharp. Tough leathery soles of feet were always a sign of a keen surfer IMHO. Another example of Mr Carroll's "kookocracy"? Haven't seen an example of boardies over steamer look, which a mate living in Pommieland says is not uncommon and is puzzling him.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:08 am

bombora wrote:Haven't seen an example of boardies over steamer look, which a mate living in Pommieland says is not uncommon and is puzzling him.
Freestyle jet skiers love this look from what I've seen.

Makes no sense to me either.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:00 pm

dude get with the times
boogers stopped wearing boardies ten years ago.

that way they all look pro when they go charge 'chopes' and 'shippies'
cos they all do that.