What's the deal with the Steamers?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Re: What's the deal with the Steamers?

Post by Karlos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:38 pm

bombora wrote:While we are at it, what's the go with "thongs and steamer while walk to the beach"? Not the whole kit for a day on the sand, but simply board, wettie and thongs. The pavement ain't that hot, nor the gravel that sharp. Tough leathery soles of feet were always a sign of a keen surfer IMHO. Another example of Mr Carroll's "kookocracy"? Haven't seen an example of boardies over steamer look, which a mate living in Pommieland says is not uncommon and is puzzling him.
See that all over the place. Whatever happened to stepping on shadows/grass etc followed by the mad rush across the hot bitumen? I often wonder how they manage to find their thongs after a surf. I walk down a hill that's often littered with broken glass from the night before when the pubs have let out, & I always do it bare footed & with eyes peeled. The hot ground is the least of my worries.

Steamers in summer are ridiculous. Get a rashy if you're worried about wax rash. And if 24 degrees is too cold for you then maybe you ought to be playing cricket instead.

Here's another example that I'm seeing a bit more of. Boards on roofracks WAX UP. I've been seeing that once or twice a week in recent times & it always puts a smile on my face. If that ain't the height of cluelessness I don't know what is.
Last edited by Karlos on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:48 pm

I saw a car going down the torquay road with a board (in a bag) upside down on the roof.

The front 3rd of the board had obviously snapped at some point of the journey and was pointing to the heavens.

The driver was clueless.

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:45 pm

This seems to be discussed every summer...

I used to worry about what others were wearing, but hey - if they want to paddle around with a steamer on, good luck! Me, I love that feeling of being unrestricted in midsummer, I usually wear boardies and a long sleeve hotskin for sun protection.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:07 am

[quote="Karlos
Steamers in summer are ridiculous. Get a rashy if you're worried about wax rash. And if 24 degrees is too cold for you then maybe you ought to be playing cricket instead.

Here's another example that I'm seeing a bit more of. Boards on roofracks WAX UP. I've been seeing that once or twice a week in recent times & it always puts a smile on my face. If that ain't the height of cluelessness I don't know what is.[/quote]

previous times when this topic has popped up, some people suggested that they wore them for the "early", or when the wind was up.
but that's really not the case this summer,
agreed Karlos, water is toasty,
air temp is stifling, last week 28 degrees at midnight, one night.
humidity is high...
... but again late last week & over the weekend, i would say that more than half of the people in the water at my local were in steamers. :?: most of them are young guys & kids.
why? i don't think we are any closer to an answer!
a few in springys and fewer (like me) in boardies & a rashy.
boardies only doesn't seem popular at all these days, but protection from the sun is important.
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:41 am

bookster wrote:I used to worry about what others were wearing, but hey - if they want to paddle around with a steamer on, good luck!
What he said.

I've got better shit to worry about :!:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:18 am

matt... wrote:previous times when this topic has popped up, ....
What, like in 2004 when this thread started?
aaronn wrote:24 degrees C in April, that is warm
But you posted this on January 26, 2010, approximately 6 years after the previous entry.

What year were you talking about?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:24 am

oldman wrote:
aaronn wrote:24 degrees C in April, that is warm
But you posted this on January 26, 2010, approximately 6 years after the previous entry.

What year were you talking about?
He wouldn't know what fcuking year it is Olds.

Seems to be a habit dredging up old shit without actually adding anything to it :?