who is your fav

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:07 pm

Chamberess wrote:I can't appreciate AI as a surfer at all.He came across as too arrogant in dvd's which put me off,then saw him at a thai cafe in coollangatta and that just cemented the fact he is a jerk...thats my personal opinion,each to their own and all that.
Nah, I'd second that. A mate of mine gave him a board to ride last year. When he went up to the quickie pro again this year, he caught up with AI to try and get some feedback on how it went.

AI hadn't ridden it even once, didn't have it (suspect he sold it), was extremely rude and totally wrote my mate off. Arrogant **** :evil: .

KS at least had the grace to explain that he still had the board, but the reason he hadn't ridden it "just so you know what it's like" was he'd been given 15 boards since arriving 5 days earlier.

The consequence is I much prefer Quik product to Billy and Globe when it comes to spending my hard-earned. The only billy product I have is the wetty I bought from our site's sponsor at half price. I won't reward companies whose ambassadors treat the punters like crap.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:23 pm

I think the idea of this thread was to judge the surfers by their surfing ability rather than personality. Ive never met AI personally so I don'i feel I have the right to judge his personality.

I guess if we all put oursleves under the preasure he is under with everyone wanting a piece of you, then we may come accross as arrogant to those who don't know us. It may just be a little bit of arrogance that has got him where he is.

As they say it can be lonely at the top.

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:26 pm

my fav's got to be the Hobgoods, probably Damo mostly, everytime you see them they're doing something funny and looking like they really enjoy the stoke, not just the money.
take the 2005 Billabong Pro Tahaiti when CJ (I think) dislocated his shoulder in the final........Damien subtley paddled out into the contest area and caught a wave pretending to be CJ, that's the way.

I'm also a huge fan of the Aussie boys, Mick, Hedgy & Parko,

But you can't go past the Raging bull, Love the way Occy surfs, if I could pull just one turn like him my surf stoke wouldn't go away for months!

filthbarrel
regular

Post by filthbarrel » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:08 pm

[quote="Chamberess"]I can't appreciate AI as a surfer at all.He came across as too arrogant in dvd's which put me off,then saw him at a thai cafe in coollangatta and that just cemented the fact he is a jerk...thats my personal opinion,each to their own and all that.[/quote]

Perhaps you can appreciate him as a surfer but not in other ways.

Why do we expect sports stars to all behave like we want our best mates to be?

Shane Warne is a great cricketer, love what he does on the field but not that interested in what he does off it. Ditto AI - I could watch this guy surf all day and that's all - I know nothing of him other than what some people reckon. Who knows what was bugging him in a Thai restaurant in Coolangatta?

So a favourite sportsperson - if we aren't going by what the media make up or spin doctors spiel - shouldn't we be able to articulate why they are our favourites based upon the way the person surfs, throws, kicks, marks, bats, bowls, tackles, sidesteps?

I like watching Andrew Johns play rugby league, AI surfing, Warney bowling, Gilly batting in a 1 dayer - and I have an interest in their ability in that only.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:59 pm

i agree,we should judge them on their ability.But when you do have an encounter with them,you can't help but have it affect the way you perceive them.My encounter with AI had an effect where i simply cannot acknowledge the talent he has.

and regardless of how i perceive him personality-wise,his surfing doesn't excite me.I think the likes of the aussies,Bruce,Dorian,etc all out-shine him

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:30 pm

bobby martinez. i called it b4 he won chopes, ive been following his prgress on the 'qs prior to making the CT. i think he is a sick exponent of surfing and his power is good to watch. he can also mix it up in the air (if u have watched any vids) with the best of em. god raw power and ability. i like it.

andy is the biggest doolie, me and my mates cut him really bad at the 2005 quikky pro on goldie when we went to watch. he had just come out of a heat and everyone was swarming him and and me and my mates went up to him and said (this is soo hysterically funny for me):

"hey man can we get a photo with you!?!"

he said "yeh sure"

my mate goes " i cant believe im getting a photo with KELLY SLATER, KELLY man, you're a deadset f*cking legend"

he gave us the biggest scowl and we were cacking ourselves, i almost wet my pants.

as he was starting to try and get away from us i said:

"hey KELLY, how about an autograph?!?"

it was so funny he muttered "fuck off idiot" and we were pissing ourselves.

BEST PRANK EVER.

needless to say we were out surfing the next morning before the heats started and he saw us and we told him we were kidding and he took it pretty well, and then my mate dropped in on him for one last laugh.

good times.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:33 pm

Freshie Boy wrote:bobby martinez. i called it b4 he won chopes, ive been following his prgress on the 'qs prior to making the CT. i think he is a sick exponent of surfing and his power is good to watch. he can also mix it up in the air (if u have watched any vids) with the best of em. god raw power and ability. i like it.

andy is the biggest doolie, me and my mates cut him really bad at the 2005 quikky pro on goldie when we went to watch. he had just come out of a heat and everyone was swarming him and and me and my mates went up to him and said (this is soo hysterically funny for me):

"hey man can we get a photo with you!?!"

he said "yeh sure"

my mate goes " i cant believe im getting a photo with KELLY SLATER, KELLY man, you're a deadset f*cking legend"

he gave us the biggest scowl and we were cacking ourselves, i almost wet my pants.

as he was starting to try and get away from us i said:

"hey KELLY, how about an autograph?!?"

it was so funny he muttered "**** off idiot" and we were pissing ourselves.

BEST PRANK EVER.

needless to say we were out surfing the next morning before the heats started and he saw us and we told him we were kidding and he took it pretty well, and then my mate dropped in on him for one last laugh.

good times.
lol he tries to be nice and it gets thrown back in his face

fong

Post by fong » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:15 pm

i guess i gotta say occy 'cause his the last one to actually earn his money :x

i like the way that gilmore chick surfs....plus it was pretty classic how she went at snapper in 1st comp :lol: 8)

but...my fav :?: '

mick campbell :wink: surfin really well at the moment :arrow: nice normal bloke who doesn't carry on like a wanna b rockstar, plus his been known go the odd bit of biff at a pro comp :lol: that wats missing from pro surfin :shock: BRING BACK THE BIFF :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

p.s of course his a goofy :wink:

p.sp freshie boy :oops:

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:50 pm

Natho wrote:I guess if we all put oursleves under the preasure he is under with everyone wanting a piece of you, then we may come accross as arrogant to those who don't know us. It may just be a little bit of arrogance that has got him where he is.
So how come KS is such a gentleman then?

Sorry, Natho, that doesn;'t cut it with me as a justification for shitty behaviour. Our character - who we are - is the most precious thing any of us own.

I'm so over elite sports stars abusing their position as an excuse to act like spoilt two-year olds. You don't have to be like that to be great. All it does is cancel out the value of what you've done if you've had to become a dickhead to get there. Kinda like selling your soul.

Actually, scratch that. It's exactly like selling your soul.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:32 pm

Don't want to harp on this but people tend to reveal different parts of themselves over time, I've seen both above guys behave in exactly the opposite fashion to these accounts.

KS much better on PR in general, Andy nowhere hear as savvy on that score.

Would be cautious on judgement of character among surf stars, particularly on basis of short meetings around pro contests.

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:38 pm

mattsphat wrote:Dammit: whats with all the questions???

Just want to find out people opions on certain topics, and whats your problem with always complaining about most topics people post.
don't worry mattsphat, it usually takes ppl at least 50 posts to work out dammit is a troll :lol:

my fave WCT surfer would probably be AI based on natural ability and hunger to win.

If you quote me on Today Tonight please refer to me as Captain Longcock, e.g. Captain Longcock said: AI FTW

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:29 pm

smnmntl wrote:
Lucky Al wrote:When I was twelve or thirteen my favourite surfer on tour was Doug Silva, a goofy I'd only seen surfing in a video once, and then just one frontside closeout reo, I don't know where. I thought that closeout reo was so good I was filled with desire to do one just like it, and every time I saw a closeout section even faintly resembling the one Doug had whacked in that vid, I would think something like, 'Okay Al, this is it!' And I'd try to whack it just like Doug.
I have the same thing with some of the moves Ron Jeremy pulls in his videos. I always try to whack it just like Ron.

priceless p...take of the thread!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:56 pm

Depends on the wave really.

Right hand point/reef waves, forehand: Parko.
Right hand point/reef waves, backhand, on face and under lip carves: Occy.
Left hand point/reef waves, forehand: (hate to admit it) Hobgoods.
Left hand point/reef waves, backhand: AI and Slater.
Beachbreaks backhand: Trent Munro.
Beachbreaks forehand: Slater/Burrow.

Favourite ever: MR.

pig champion
Local

Re: who is your fav

Post by pig champion » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:56 pm

mattsphat wrote:who is your favorite surfer on tour.
Mine is Parko
parko is smooooooooth & graceful on his forehand .... so stylish ... completely different story on his backhand ...
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

srfrgrrl

Post by srfrgrrl » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:17 pm

[quote="Chamberess"]I can't appreciate AI as a surfer at all.He came across as too arrogant in dvd's which put me off,then saw him at a thai cafe in coollangatta and that just cemented the fact he is a jerk...thats my personal opinion,each to their own and all that.[quote]

That tends to happen when you try to lick a strangers ankle in public :shock:

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:34 am

bah, smnmntl! dangle a big dong in front of you and you'd be like a roo in the headlights. if you'd seen doug whack that shit, you wouldn't be so mutter mutter...

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:03 pm

Kelly Slater by a country mile. So much so that my eyes tend to glaze over a bit when watching the others. I like the way Dean Morrison surfs as well, and the Hobgoods,