Intentional drop in

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:38 pm

Did he have a yellow and red board? and was about 40 something?
(Ps that's not me)
Never confuse ambition with ability

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:50 pm

If this is the the absolute rule, I might as well give up surfing shortboards where I live and leave it to the mals.

Just because you can take off 20m further out doesn't make every wave yours. Many mal riders are aware of this and it's generally not a problem where I surf. There are exceptions of course.

Fair enough smw1. I surf at other beaches where mals dominate and the rules when you are riding a shortboard versus mals is whatever you can get away with, and fair enough too.

In this case though we are both on short boards. I am waiting out the back patiently for the bigger sets while he is toying around with more inside waves. I am taking off from the shoulder because the wave has peaked down the beach and I'm paddling across furiously to make the wave. I am 20 - 25 metres further out than him, catch the wave before him, standup before he is even on the wave. I almost could have turned left, run over him and then gone right with the wave direction.

I have always followed the rule that if you are clearly first on the wave its yours. He is welcome to call me, and anyone is welcome to think I have dropped in on him (by some obtuse reasoning) but I'll be fucked if I'm gonna get off the wave for you. Learn some etiquette.

Thank you gentlemen. Have a great weekend.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Cosmos

Post by Cosmos » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:33 pm

a well timed ankle yank is fun if he keeps doing it. u have to be good tho.
Done many in my time at dypoint

funniest thing ive seen was a surfer kind of jump on the back of a lid that dropped in on him

also seen bodyboarders try and hit drop in surfers with a well timed invert.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:50 pm

Was out the other day on my 7'6". I thought this really would have been better on the mal. The real take off would be a bit further out and you could have connected the sections to get a good ride. As it was the very average crew really respected my decision to not to ride a longboard and dropped in mercilessly :? Latish take off, get creamed, do it again. Great work and I know where I'll be sitting and what I'll be riding next time :D

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:10 pm

Cosmos wrote: funniest thing ive seen was a surfer kind of jump on the back of a lid that dropped in on him
some1 did that to my aisan mate at dy :lol: he is a kook and didnt know what he was doing dropped in on sumguy and he launched himself on my lil aisan friend and he got smashed

best ive done was a big closeout i grabbed a fellow booger who dropped in on me and we both got fucked up accept i was ready 4 it :lol:

mm
Grommet

Post by mm » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:06 pm

Take a knife out next time, then when he drops in on you, jump on him and stab him to death. Then burn his car, rape his family and shoot his dog. If he doesn't have a dog, shoot his neighbours. That ought to get the message across.

Alternatively, unless it's a frequent occurance, relax and let it go. If it is a regular thing, maybe have a polite conversation with him about it? If you can't solve it that way, just try to avoid it. No point risking injury/assault charges in a fight unless you have no other options.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:54 pm

I'm heading toward the view that I must run straight over dropper innerers...the only thing being I only do that with a heavily glassed board built specially for the purpose.

But look, it's always been the guy on the inside gets the wave. This "first to feet" notion is some left over idiocy from the 1964 world titles, it disappeared, and was regurgitated from the stupid idea swamp where it belongs when those young blokes from the 60's, who'd given up surfing to make money and get married, returned to the surf as old guys driving Range Rovers and riding McTavish fireballs.

Closest to curl, simple. If you take off on the shoulder, and someone is paddling for the wave on the inside, or is already up and riding, and you take off, you're "dropping in". If a bloke is clearly up and riding and you paddle to his inside to claim inside position and takeoff that's called "snaking". This is easy. Transgressors have been warned.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:24 pm

mm wrote:Take a knife out next time, then when he drops in on you, jump on him and stab him to death. Then burn his car, rape his family and shoot his dog. If he doesn't have a dog, shoot his neighbours. That ought to get the message across.
you can get arrested for even joking about that! :?

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:49 pm

Cosmos wrote:a well timed ankle yank is fun if he keeps doing it. u have to be good tho.
Done many in my time at dypoint

funniest thing ive seen was a surfer kind of jump on the back of a lid that dropped in on him

also seen bodyboarders try and hit drop in surfers with a well timed invert.
or whatever works for you really :lol:

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:41 pm

heeaps of dropins out at dy point today....i was about the only grom out there...or the smallest at least :oops:

morrisey
Grommet

Post by morrisey » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:03 pm

Coops@DY wrote:
morrisey wrote:1. Stop bodyboarding.
You're cool morrisey. One of those kooks who never grew up or got any better because you were too busy sucking down bongs!!!
Nice one Kooks@DY! Still tryin to work out what ya tryin to say?? :shock: Anyway stay in school and be good to ya mother. 8)

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:14 pm

morrisey wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:
You're cool morrisey. One of those kooks who never grew up or got any better because you were too busy sucking down bongs!!!
Nice one Kooks@DY! Still tryin to work out what ya tryin to say?? :shock: Anyway stay in school and be good to ya mother. 8)
:shock: :roll: terrible terrible come back

for the record dy sucks and so do u morris

awsome pic macca sums up the whole surfer v booger debate in my mind

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:49 am

dammit__01 wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:
r u 4 or against boogers? n e way dy sucks and the locals at club house a lil girly nances .... and wear pink dresses
Since i have been bodyboarding for 15 years id say im for it. :D :D

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:05 am

Interesting responses fellas. I appreciate your opinions.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:55 pm

buzzy wrote:Closest to curl, simple. If you take off on the shoulder, and someone is paddling for the wave on the inside, or is already up and riding, and you take off, you're "dropping in". If a bloke is clearly up and riding and you paddle to his inside to claim inside position and takeoff that's called "snaking". This is easy. Transgressors have been warned.
I think the snaking bit is really what this is about. Theres not that many people dumb enough to think the guy taking off on the inside doesn't have the wave. Its more the guy paddling out going "hey, I could take off heaps deeper than that. In fact I will.......hey, get off my wave :roll: :roll: "