Surf Books

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bc
charger

Surf Books

Post by bc » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:56 am

Image Image

Who are the collectors here? the historians? the technicians?

Who's into their surf books - and why?

Larger photos
http://static.flickr.com/21/89085257_ae0cf40f1a_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/34/89085256_b33ce28415_o.jpg

Hound
Grommet

Post by Hound » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:02 pm

NC will be happy to see you've helped line his pockets, make him feel a little better after the banana incident!!!

nice collection, I find just having lots of books is a nice feeling, especially the Lonely Planets I have, one of the best travel mementoes, with all scribbles and crap that goes in them.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:15 pm

Unfortunately for NC I've picked up all of his books second hand.
Ebay, Gertrude and Alice, the Bondi Markets and those bargain bookstores in the city have been good to me.

Gotta agree with you there about the travel guides - by the end of the trip, they're full of sand, beer labels, email addresses and a .million dodgy tips from the guy you met on that 8 hour bus trip

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:55 am

I'm into surf books but don't have any. Collecting's no good unless you share as well as collect. Kindly send me Mr Sunset, Maverick's, The Encyclopedia of Surfing and... that ought to to do for month of February. I'll return within a month and if you're interested in the meantime loan you Tony Butt and Paul Russell's Surf Science: an introduction to waves for surfing, due back at University of Washington Libraries by March 17. Your collection will be all the richer for the lively debate sure to ensue.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:59 am

Hound wrote:after the banana incident!!!
I think he'd prefer you referred to it as the "goofing" :D

Just finished the book on mp and went to bed thinkin about it, drugs, mental shit, our society .... :arrow: woke up in the morning to the dog barking and realised it was the sound of the doggy door and ran down stairs and out the front door to see a smacky running up the street, didn't think he'd had time to get in the house and let him get away (missing bits here), anyway the missus realised my wallet was gone 1/2 hour later :x :x :x 6th house in the street in the last 5 months ......

Anyway, I think sometimes me life reflects what I'm reading a bit to much, happened to me a few times before, one of the times I was reading pet cemetary full shite fight, blackout reading by candle light, storm outside, people getting run over by cars ..... :arrow: ..... and then above, I think I've gotta be more careful what I read :!:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:16 am

munch wrote:...I think sometimes me life reflects what I'm reading a bit too mu(n)ch....
:idea: You better start reading wealth creation books...

It’s OK lambchops I corrected your spelling - ‘too’ not ‘to’ :wink:

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:38 am

ric_vidal wrote:
munch wrote:...I think sometimes me life reflects what I'm reading a bit too mu(n)ch....
:idea: You better start reading wealth creation books...

It’s OK lambchops I corrected your spelling - ‘too’ not ‘to’ :wink:

nah, don't want wealth ..... :arrow: ..... want peace and waves, think thats what all of us want who that up wired up a bit differently ..... now if bohnno could stop riding waves for long enough to write something about his life .............

and Ta, but I did say that I was crap at spelling and grammar and did specify topic titles ........................ ;) 8) :lol:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:28 pm

new book summarising research and bibilography of most books and papers and theses on surfing up until about 2003.

"Surfing and Social Theory". Academic tome but some interesting info in there for collectors, historians etc.

written by English blokes though. (Nick Ford i think)

Very expensive, little or no piccies. about 70 buck AUS

bc
charger

Post by bc » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:nice collection bc...

one I haven't seen is on the right..."Cruising the NSW Coast"...can't read who by....looks as though it was printed some time ago. Is it a guide for breaks or another theme not directly surf related? Would make interesting reading either way...and if it is quite old the author might have pissed a few bumpkins off! No secrets these days... :wink:
Its by Alan Lucas, from 1976.
Aimed at the boating crowd
Has some interesting maps and pics,
but nothing you cant find elsewhere...
Novelty value really, and some interesting local facts.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:38 pm

doing research for a book yourself bc, or no such ambitions and just acquired collection over years out of interest?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:54 pm

The book by Nick Ford and David Brown Clif mentioned is subtitled 'Experience, Embodiment and Narrative of the Dream Glide', making me suspect it might be filled with the obscure ramblings and filthy outbursts of mad visionaries and homosexuals. I'll be keeping an eye open for it in my library.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:19 pm

Lucky Al wrote:doing research for a book yourself bc, or no such ambitions and just acquired collection over years out of interest?
Nah- i just buy the books to read them.
There's not too many things you really get into,
and surfing in all its forms is mine.

Its amazing how much you can get out of some of the books with repeated readings
- as your surfing evolves you gain a whole lot more perspective.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:06 pm

Come across Zero Break: an illustrated collection of surf writing, 1777-2004 by Matt Warshaw yet, bc? Got this for Chrissy, reckon it's one you'll want to get your hands on one of these days.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:32 pm

Another one to look out for is Remembrance of Waves Past, bc. Passage below's excerpted from Vol. 1: Slater's Way. Doesn't get much better than this!

'The field open to the surfer is not a miserable sequence of take off, bottom turn, tube, cut back and pull off, but an immeasurable sea (still, almost all of it, unknown), on which, here and there only, separated by the gross darkness of its unexplored tracts, some few among the millions of currents, currents of tenderness, of passion, of courage, of serenity, which compose it, each one differing from all the rest as one universe differs from another, have been discovered by certain great surfers who do us the service, when they awaken in us the emotion corresponding to their rides, of showing us what richness, what variety lies hidden, unknown to us, in that great black impenetrable night, discouraging exploration, of our soul, which we have been content to regard as valueless and waste and void. Slater is one of those surfers. In his surfing there is contained, one feels, a matter so consistent, so explicit, to which his surfing gives so new, so original a force, that those who once see it preserve the memory of it in the treasure-chamber of their minds.'

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:38 pm

what a load of waffle

bet author is embarrassed at that gunk :oops:

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:09 pm

Bit harsh, Clif. Reckon he chose his words carefully enough.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:25 pm

I'm with ya Clif ... utter crap