drugs and surfing

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

drugs and surfing

Post by marcus » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:37 am

hey guys
been reading some of the posts about MP and other guys that have gone the way of falling out due to drugs or mental illness.
I have many friends that love the party drugs, some seem to have them under control, others seem to be on the way to burning out, and a few have hit bottom and bounced back again.
I have noticed that the guys that are really keen on the pills and speed usually say that they are harmless and defend the us of them.
Its sad when i have seen a guy defend his use and then hit bottom, i sometimes feel like saying i told you so, but thats not the way.
The freinds that have hit bottom, there is usually a corolation between mental illness that goes with the drug use, so saying i told you so is just stupid.
These guys wish they could go back in time and know what the do now, back when they were pilling and tripping.
i just think its so bloody sad, im allways there for my mates.
but this drug issue comes up and i see the young guys thinking they are invincible, i want to take these guys to a mental ward and show them a possible future if they go too hard.
what do you do?
if you have kids, what do you or would you say about it?

ive also noticed some surfers that surf hard sometimes take coke and speed when the surfs flat, could there be a link there, that you can become a real addrenalin junkie? i go nuts if i havent had a big surf for a while, do these guys miss the rush?
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:11 am

the party drugs are a weird one eh marcus.....like ive got mates who can wolf down enough pills to drop a rhino before a club is even open and they will be out wakeboardin with me no sweat next day(love ya work NYD) but then on the other hand i know crew who ive seen after half a pill or a pidgoen line of this or that totaly f#@k out, and ill tell em to never ever go near it again(youve been warned before ******, lay off it idiot) and yeah, i know charges who LOVE gettin f@#ked up but i also know drug pigs who are total pussies in the surf. i think alot of it comes down to what sort of head youve already got on your shoulders before you start to fry it. like, the more personal issues and sh#t youve got, the more possibility there is that youll get damaged. there dont seem to be any real measure you can judge it by either, its realy a 'suck and see' thing. like a long time ago me and these older lads in indo got sideways on the shrooms and we all sorta popped, me and another dude bein the worst, i was hazy for a few days and was gold after that, but i ran into one of those guys at a party a few years back and he told me the other dude who was axed never realy recovered. heavy......

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:30 am

yeah bloody heavy, like my uncles mate had to go over to indo and bring his son home in a straight jacket...
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:42 am

really!!!!!!!! f#@k me, thats horror.........was it from the shrooms or what?, and its fuct to cause ive had some of the funniest moments of my life on these things, but the flip side is your uncles mate, some sh#t just dont make much sense eh marcus.......

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:15 am

never bought anything like that off anyone over there ever eh.......if youve ever met a whitey whos been on the inside of an indo jail you would probably be stressin if the thought of scorin even crossed ya mind......and if you are keen for a few, you can just get in ya car and go out to a rural area and pick em ya self, you might still get brain fried, but at least you wont get locked up.......

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:36 am

Since I did heaps of drugs when I was growing up I'd feel stupid saying "do as I say, not what I did". And, in a way, I feel that having actually indulged in the culture I know something about drugs...really know...as opposed to so many academic types and politicians who have no idea. And my natural inclination is for people to be free to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't harm anyone. But, drugs can ruin your life, so I reckon you have to be really cautious about getting involved. My sister has been in jail twice through heroin use, a number of friends have died and one other is a prostitute. I know of many friendships ruined by paranoia and selfishness caused by cocaine. I've seen people become dependant on coke to walk out the door- not physically but emotionally.

Anyway, my thought is dabble if you want but walk away from consistent use. Indeed, I'd personally recommend not dabbling but I know no-one would listen to that.

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:13 pm

interesting topic this one.

Pretty hard to say don't touch them, most adventurous young people are probably going to dabble at some stage.

Some of the advice I'd give:

* Stay away from: speed, smack and cigarettes altogether. They're extremely habit forming and if you use them more than a handful of times you are already starting to develop a dependency. Don't kid yourself that you're not, you don't know what you're talking about.

* Be careful with alcohol, because its so socially accepted a dependancy can sneak up on you.

* Maintain your own identity outside of any drug taking that you get into, whether it be pilling/clubbing, mull smoking or drinking. That means keep surfing, keep contact with all of your mates that don't do drugs, hold down a job or keep doing ok at uni/school etc. Don't let drugs and the drug culture/lifestyle become your identity (including the clubbing/pubbing culture).

* Never trust people that are regular users of hard drugs (incl pills and trips) and if you've got a circle of friends that consists only of drug takers you've got a problem - get out of it.

* If one or some of your best mates are heading down the path, you have to be careful not to get sucked along with them. This can be a very difficult situation for a variety of reasons. Again - remember to always keep doingn the things that are your real identity - surfing etc. even if your mates start to give up on it.

If you're using any hard drug (including pills) on a weekly basis (not daily, but weekly) you've got a problem - take a break for at least a month and focus on doing other things like surfing etc., but I'd strongly recommend ditching altogether.

Speed is a really wicked drug. I've never seen anyone start using speed on a regular basis that hasn't ended up with financial difficulties and some sort of mental issues ranging from mild but over the top anger problems through to full wacko.

Don't buy/do drugs in any country other than 'oz, particularly a lot of asian countries that have absolute horror jail and legal systems, even if everyone else is doing it. We've got it amazingly good it in oz in relation to the law and human rights.

BB

Post by BB » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:24 pm

In other words

"Drugs are bad, children"

Billwha
Grommet

Post by Billwha » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:37 pm

some good tips there zzz . . . i'd be hard pressed to argue against any of em . . . . pain in the arse though when all your mates to begin with are either dope smokers, pissheads or pill poppers . . . don't think i was hanging around with the wrong friends at school or anything, they're still my mates, but i felt compelled to leave my home cause i was sick of them and had more interesting things to do with my time. i don't know anyone personally that would rather go home at 11 or 12 on a friday/sat night so they can get up at 5/6 for a wave. maybe i'm the one with the problem! (nah)

Scotty H

Post by Scotty H » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:44 pm

BB, don't you mean "Drugs are bad, m'kay"

Having a bit of knowledge helps a lot - check out sites like
http://www.lycaeum.org and you'll find out a lot you may not have know. For people thinking about psylocybin mushies this includes info like 30-50g of fresh mushrooms (3-5 g of dried) is a typical dose. Heaps of people chug down mushie milkshakes with double or more than that and wonder why they end up so freaked.

Just be informed, drug experiences can be awesome and life affirming as a means of stepping outside your usual frame of reference. Drug habits are always destructive.

Damn, I've ended up spouting pseudo-wisdom like everyone else. Sorry.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:01 pm

Keep away from the chemicals which are probably made in a garage in Lidcombe by god knows who but I bet they are not chemists. I can also advise to keep off the ciggies. At the ripe old age of 39 I had to have 5 teeth include 2 at the front removed due to gum disease thanks to 20 years of winnie blues. I can also tell you the fitness that returns to you after not smoking for 2 years is astounding. I just wish I quit a long time ago or not started at all. As for the party drugs, maybe I'm getting old but do you really need to go out and party until 5am. We used to have a blast going out at 7 and being home around 1am, ready for an early that morning.

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:20 pm

Spoon wrote:As for the party drugs, maybe I'm getting old but do you really need to go out and party until 5am. We used to have a blast going out at 7 and being home around 1am, ready for an early that morning.
Heheh - I've toned down a bit in recent years, but I think most people party until they either manage to pickup, run out of money or get kicked out and there's nowhere else open.

So if places stay open 'til 5 - people will party till 5.

hammer time

Post by hammer time » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:37 pm

stear clear and drink beer.

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:53 pm

zzz wrote:

* Maintain your own identity outside of any drug taking that you get into, whether it be pilling/clubbing, mull smoking or drinking. That means keep surfing, keep contact with all of your mates that don't do drugs, hold down a job or keep doing ok at uni/school etc. Don't let drugs and the drug culture/lifestyle become your identity (including the clubbing/pubbing culture).

buzzy, this is the best advice ive ever read on this subject. this is THE one and only reason me or any of my mates have made it back/not fuct out/not gone off the deep end.......true words of wisdom them mate.......

maddog
regular

Post by maddog » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:48 pm

marcus wrote:yeah bloody heavy, like my uncles mate had to go over to indo and bring his son home in a straight jacket...
that is fucked

maddog
regular

Post by maddog » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:48 pm

i mean as in ****ed up

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:27 pm

drugs arent worth the risk full stop.