Best Kebab Shops

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mm
Grommet

Post by mm » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:54 pm

Not sydney, but Nonabel in wollongong make the best kebabs i've ever tasted. Guy's got a wood-fired oven, awesome homous and taboulie, the chicken is actually meat instead of gristle and fat - PLUS he has this awesome little sauce/marinade of some kind that goes on the chicken before it's hits the oven (made of garlic, lemon, plus other stuff i can't figure out). The felafels are fantastic, the salad fresh and he makes all sorts of sweets in the shop, baklava and all the rest. Heaven in a piece of lebanese bread.

WIDG
Grommet

Post by WIDG » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:23 pm

There's a doner kebab shop next to the servo at Waitara that I believe has the best doner's around, packed to the brim, good after a few coldies at the Bluey.

The joint you may be refering to on the old pacific highway up towards Berowra might be "Rubber Duckies" (just before Mt Colah) which had the ultimate in burgers, heaps of truckies used to stop there, so that's always a good sign.

Another one which comes to mind for price/nutrional value was "Betty's Burgers" which used to be in the alleyway off Hastings Street in Noosa, they used to sell for $1.00 and that was only about 14 years ago when I lived on the Sunny Coast. Not quite sure if its still there, but it was the go, 2 bucks would certainly satisfy the post surf hunger.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:28 am

marty wrote:is it just me or have kebabs shrunk over recent years. just aint as long as they used to be....
Yeah, marty, it's just you. That's wat your missus says anyway :shock: :lol:.

"kebab" is her code word for,.....you know :wink:

PB
regular

Post by PB » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:21 am

La Roche - in The Boulevarde in Lakemba (just off Haldon St)

Seriously - you guys need to get out more!

craig
regular

Post by craig » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:35 am

i agree abduls on the corner of elizabeth and cleveland does the best kebabs in sydney. there felafels are top notch also...... and a lamb kibbe as entree goes down well too......
on the northern beaches the kebab shop in warriewood square is damned good. the guy who owns the shop is super friendly and goes out of his way to customise your kebab for you, should you ask...... sometimes i even get a complimentary slice of baklava.
try him out.....
just be wary of the asian chew and spew joint on the corner of the food court. walk within 20 ft of their shop or make any eye contact and they are like seagulls to half a soggy hot chhip..."can i heeelllppp youuu? what you liiiiike....?" cant stand that msg ridden stuff....

Poorboy
regular

Post by Poorboy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:03 am

offshore1 wrote:
marty wrote:is it just me or have kebabs shrunk over recent years. just aint as long as they used to be....

Quality word association there offshore...
Ya bloody made me laugh so early in the morning the rest of the day has to be good.

I forgot to mention the busiest kebab shop on the face of this planet is in Cavill Mall in the Nightclub strip. Its gotta be 3 am though or its just not fresh.

Cheers
Poorboy
My eyes bleed when the sun shines....

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:43 am

Abduls is good although I lost half a front tooth there many years ago when I bit into a felafel and hit a rock :shock: Fatimas is good up the road from there. Had a great one at Hornsby Mal this year :D Chicken place on Campbell Parade is awesome for chicken and the Israeli place that makes all the Savion Dips does absolutely great pita bread rolls :D

A friend of mine who used to be in a band told me years ago he was walking down Crown Street after a gig at about 3am and looked in the window of the Kebab shop to see a big rat with its paws up on the side of the yerros having a big gnaw at the lamb :shock:

craig
regular

Post by craig » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:59 am

ok folks.....

BEST BACON N EGG ROLL? where do we find it?

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:30 am

offshore1 wrote:

Lamb Sandwich? another place for chicken burgers is Goodies @ Warilla.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:31 pm

Had a bacon and egg sandwich at Millers Oval on Condamine Street during the soccer season which was unreal.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:27 pm

haha when i play soccer there my dad always gets thoses, loves em 2,

but for burgers the fish shop at mona vale (next to main) and chickens plus, awesome, the newport ones pretty good too

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:47 pm

don't know how we can trust something that looks like a group of men have cummed all over

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:39 pm

Always been a bit suss on the hoummus stuff :shock:

TMC
Harry the Hat

Re: Best Kebab Shops

Post by TMC » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:23 pm

Thread Revival.

Recently I discovered Rowda El Yabbi on King St in Newtown wedged in between the two Thai Longs. They do a very good kebab, and aren't stingy on things most kebab shops are, like cheese and tabouli. Resonably priced 7.50 for a chicken kebab with cheese, and their meat isn't full of fat and gristle.

9/10
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:45 pm

don't tell buffles as I hear he's partial to chowing down on high fat content.

drowningbitbybit
Grommet

Post by drowningbitbybit » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:58 pm

iggy wrote: and forget the chicken kebab and get a f**king lamb shawarma one complete with fresh chilli dip, babaganoush, and their pureed garlic sauce, the red cabbage and all that..
Hmmm, I think I have a plan for lunch tomorrow seeing as that place is 5mins from work :D

And its always nice to stink out the co-workers :twisted:
Why do you ask? It's the internet, it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:27 pm

make sure you get lots of meat on it, maybe ask em if they have any mushrooms.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!