Long Reef development

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Long Reef development - good or bad?

Ace - better facilities. Better use of the site
12%
Sucks - development is bad
53%
Longy bites the big one anyway. Who cares?
35%

Total votes: 17

collnarra

Long Reef development

Post by collnarra » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:12 pm

You'll see in the news section a story about a proposed development of the Long Reef surf club. New club rooms, upgraded facilities, better food and so on.

Is this such a bad thing? Why is there always a knee-jerk reaction to devlopment? It's not as tho, as the story says, there is no development there already. The surfclub is there. The carpark is there. There's extensive landscaping and, most of all, there's a golf course, which is the ultimate form of stealth development.

So read the story and tell us: waddya think?

reggie

Post by reggie » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:42 pm

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:59 am

The training and equipment require by a surf club these days is a lot more than when I was a kid growing up in the 60's.

Love 'm or hate them, they are a community based organisation that provides a free service to the public. Also it is not expensive to join a surf club ( to say Long Reef Golf Club ),and they will provide for that joining fee, training in all aspects of surf live saving.

The following link is the history of Long Reef Surf Club

http://www.longreef.com/history_informa ... thews.html

The shed (club house) was built in 1952/3 and was located on the area which now forms part of the boat shed nearest the gate.

The present day club house was built in 1960. So the current building is around 45 years old and in that time the club has grown in membership, along with more area required to store equipment. The members of that club have over all those years, donated their time, free of charge to provide a safe area for swimmers.

I personally can't see what the fuss is about, as all surf clubs are non profit organisations that have saved a lot of lives over the years, and have provide the platform for a lot of surfers to learn about the surf in their early years.

Tilbaz
Grommet

Post by Tilbaz » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:41 am

the article don wrote is pretty off the mark. i'm a member at longy, and the main development is to give the longy life savers better facilities, which at this point is pretty average. Yes there may be a restaurant or something, but this is not like a big apartment development. it should not spoil longy, although i can see why ppl would think this. There will be downsides to the development no doubt, but overall its good.
<-----break it down

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:14 am

no biggy IMO...

i'm a lot more concerned about the proposed development at catho...

something like 1200 units, shopping mall, basically another terrigal.... :shock:

Loving It
Grommet

Post by Loving It » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:56 am

Hi Everyone,

All i gotta say is that I dont agree in the way it was done but the message painted in black on the back of the wall at Longy surf live saving club says it all.

WARRINGAH COUNCIL = OVERDEVELOPMENT.

I'm all for revamping and building a new club house as that benfits the members and the public safety but as for any other development plans for that area, there is no point and money & greed seems to be the driving force.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:59 am

I don't see that the proposed development is going to be significantly different to what already exists. In regard to the footprint of the development at least.

The Reef Riders longboard club, of which I am a member, has actively tried to support LRSC with small donations from our annual Australia Day competition and has an excellent working relationship and good cooperation with its members.

As a club, we have used their facilities quite often for presentations and the like and, like most properties of their vintage and proximity to the water, they are getting pretty tired and are bloody hot.

My understanding is the kiosk stays, but rebuilt as part of the development, and if a restaurant is included this may go a fair way to fund raising for the council, which in turn is probably expected to fund the LRSC to a certain extend and this could lessen the burden on us ratepayers.

So what is the problem here? Or am I missing something?

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:13 am

I wonder if they'll let us keep our billy-carts inside it?
A revamped kiosk would be nice however i will miss the pies that have been warmed under the enormous armpits of dear old Kate.....

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:20 am

If they keep to the existing site I don't see a problem. It is a fairly ugly red brick building as it is. Some of the surf clubs along the Gold Coast are bloody good places to have an arvo beer on the decks so Longy would be fine if the NSW government let the surf clubs get licenses but thats another matter.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:10 pm

I probably hold similar views to most of the other posters so far in that if the surf club is developed and modernised, it is not a problem.

After all, surf lifesavers give their time voluntarily, sometimes risking their lives to save others and they should have up to date facilities to house their gear, conduct training etc.

If a larger restaurant/kiosk was built no problem either, providing that it is sympathetic to the existing amenity of the area.

My fear is Warringah Council. After witnessing first-hand the myriad apartment blocks recently constructed at Collaroy and DY we need to be sure that Long Reef doesn't fall victim also as Long Reef essentially forms a "green belt" between the two.

We don't want to see Midnight Oil's "Dreamworld" music video come to life at Long Reef.

We need to have a thorough look at the plans and make sure that the Council only allows the surf club extension and perhaps a restaurant and other minor complementary development so as not to change the character of Long Reef.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:06 pm

NO WAY. The new development will totally stick out in the natural environment and the beach will loose much of its natural beauty. Half of the reason i love this beach so much is because to get to it, its similar to many of the north coast waves and gives a sense of isolation, which is a rare occurence in Sydney.

It will attract many more crowds, and already on a weekend there is nearly half the beach being used by either the flags, bloody kook boat crews, Bronze Medallion training, board training and SHORE school doing there surf life saving activities on the Saturdays. Its a joke.

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:46 pm

True Longygrom, but with all this hooh -hah brings back a species that has all been wiped out at Longy.......... and thats chicks. Think about it, whens' the last time you've come out of the water at Longy and dawdled back to your car looking at the glamourous, glistening bodies lining the beach.
Many times i've had to run out of the surf, dodging these walrus like creatures that can lash out and inflict quite serious injuries if you get too close to them.
A well built cafe, with paved spots for BMW 4WDs (and maybe a poodle pole for the poochies) could bring to Longy what we've been dreaming of for years - decent looking chicks.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:23 pm

Come on Longy that's not the attitude. The beach is there for the benefit of ALL, not just us surfers and I hate a crowd as much as anyone. :!:

LRSC as it stands and the general amenities are adequate at the best.

As I said earlier, if the footprint of the development is much the same the proposed development will look a damn sight better than what is there now.

It is an update, NOT some MASSIVE development of units like along Collaroy and other beach suburbs.

dilution

Post by dilution » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:22 pm

WAVE QUALITY.

It's well known that developments that are right on the coast have a severe affect on the quality of banks forming. One thing that Longy has is a lot of flat ground immediately inland from it.

This means the wind and dunes work together to make those even banks that Longy - The Pole often has.

Development right on the coast has had tragic effects at legendary spots like Jefferys Bay, where sand distribution was an immediate contributor to wave quality.

I'm all for having good places for a beer, and storage for the Clubbies - but if we're talking about cementing away our wave quality....

NO THANKS.
OFF the TOP

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:32 pm

scroopulis wrote: Think about it, whens' the last time you've come out of the water at Longy and dawdled back to your car looking at the glamourous, glistening bodies lining the beach.
last wednesday i saw 2 of the hottest chicks ive ever seen there!

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:57 pm

Normally I'd be the first to jump on the bandwagon, but not in this case.

The footprint suggestion is correct. It's no bigger. It's still low impact but it will draw crowds a la Freshwater.

I'm not against it. The facilities do get used by alot of groups. Dunno about a restaurant ?

It won't affect the houses across the road. They will never be allowed to be turned into any form of unit development. They're Houses.

Just surf Bombie or Lugga, or stay at DY.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:27 pm

dilution wrote:WAVE QUALITY.

Development right on the coast has had tragic effects at legendary spots like Jefferys Bay, where sand distribution was an immediate contributor to wave quality.

NO THANKS.
I think that you meant to say Cape St Francis rather than Jeffreys Bay (just around the corner). Here the developers stabilised the sand dunes so the sand wouldn't blow into residents' front yards. Result: no excess sand left to fall back into the ocean after storms. A once perfect evenly-peeling point break became uneven and sectiony.

At least, that is what Bruce Brown says and he knows more than me.

I would hate to see the unique wind conditions and wave quality at Long Reef change as a result of ill-considered development.

Do we have any experts on coastal erosion who could contribute to the debate and elaborate on what would happen to the surf/wind conditions given the proposed development at Longie ?

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:00 pm

Hang on Flo..........

It ain't that much bigger.

Look again. Low impact.

Cape Saint Craptis. Get with the point.