Respect

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

vonie
regular

Respect

Post by vonie » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:40 pm

Can any one tell me if you should respect a loud mouth local that drops in on most waves and threatens a beating if you say boo?

Saw a guy at NN this morning getting stuck in to 3 or 4 unfortunate recipients after he dropped in on them.

Is he making a mockery of respect / localism or is he within his rights?

Most of the comments I herd from the crew were along the line of “small penis syndrome etc…”

Interested in your thoughts.....

I have lived here for 20 years so I’m not speaking as a blow in….
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

wobbo

Post by wobbo » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:18 pm

no resplect. you gotta show respect to get respect in my books. doesnt matter if youre a local or not.

maddog
regular

Post by maddog » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:21 pm

No respect at all... Tell him to !@#$ himself.

pchuuu
regular

Post by pchuuu » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:49 pm

dude show no respect what so ever... Friggin im currently gettin hasseled by some 22 yr old, he send me in today, if i dont go in he will bash me.... really sh!ts me.... murder the pricks :evil:

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:54 pm

Here's the flipside. I've surfed a fair bit this weekend and seen non-stop drop ins by blow-in kooks on people that have surfed at a certain break all their lives.

The most blatant one? A nice 4' left. Local surfer takes off, races the first section. An idiot down the line looks at him, turns around, takes off, wobbles down the face and basically destroys the wave.

People like that should be sent it.

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:56 pm

How many times do you see that happen in summer, at some beaches, the locals dont really seem to exist do they...

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:47 pm

He wouldn't be that same psycho that "Hawkeye" started in an earler thread on surf rage would he?

greygrom
regular

Post by greygrom » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:21 pm

summer is coming
kook time
treat them as speed bumps
but say nothing

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:18 am

i have to say that respect in general has gone out the window..perhaps a function of society at large

when i was learning the ropes i NEVER dropped in, never blatantly snaked anyone, never paddled straight back to poll position, (well not much) :wink: and gave the hotshots and older locals their space...

these days its so stupidly crowded with clueless idiots we have guys who can stand up and wonkily flap their way across the wave face act just like that ... result - I burn 'em.

eg guy yesterday at CC, doesn't even look so drops in on surfer 1, so surfer 3 says bugger you and drops in on surfer 2, who carries on like a pork chop (OY,OY,HEY,HEY, YOU &@*$ etc) at surfer 3. Surfer 1 just standing there shaking his head at the carry on and not 1 but 2 wakes.

I don't want to drop in - but with the way it is these days I am sometimes forced to!

personally i pray for surfing to go out of fashion!

vonie
regular

Post by vonie » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:21 am

Thank for the feedback - the guy was in his 30's, kinda big, good skill, seriously bad attitude and really keen to throw punches.

I could understand somewhat if kooks were continually dropping in on him (it was ridiculously crowded) but he was doing all the dropping in that I could see.

Hopefully what he puts around will come back around.... Perhaps he will try it on with an undersized black belt one day and get his head handed back to him on a plate.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:37 am

yeh he'll probably say something to someone who trains brazilian jiu-jitsu up the road and get a rude suprise.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:10 am

I thought of a better way to articulate what I was getting at above.

On a typical, busy weekend what do you see more of:

a) the loudmouth local

b) the idiot kooks with no clue and no ability

I'd wager it's b), yet all the comments seem to be about one or two loudmouth losers.

I reckon that the real questions should be about how, with lots of new people getting into surfing, and relatively few of them having the local beach roots that most of us might have, they can be inculcated with surfing's rules, lore and history.

How can people be taught about surfing when, to many of them, it's something they have a go at like any other hobby?

chris_010
Local

Post by chris_010 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:16 am

Similar thing happened to a bloke at maroubra over the weekend. 50+ people all over the one peak...i mean your bound to get dropped in on. I just can't understand why a local would try and send someone in on a day like that. You paddle out there with ridiculous numbers you shouldnt expect any wave to yourself...i bailed after 30mins to a different spot and scored average waves but i could at least pick and choose em. Surfing is my number 1 relaxation activity, there's enough stress at work and day to day shit, no need to have to bring it to the lineup.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:25 pm

hey Coll,

Kook or not, everyone understands the word "respect". You give it to get it.

These poor learners aren't "idiot kooks", they're just trying to get the hang of a really difficult sport. Which doesn't mean they don't drive me mad too, but ... sending 'em in doesn't work, you know you don't have the right.

I reckon every learner can tell a skilled and knowledgeable surfer when they see one. If that's you, you have the edge on 'em by SOO MUCH it's kinda ridiculous. Handle it right and they'll show respect as a matter of course.

How you use that massive advantage is very telling as to who you are I reckon. Knucklehead punchers are saying way more about themselves than about the people they're harrassing.

Again this doesn't mean I don't, errr, "vibe" people on occasion, but I'm way more likely to "vibe" a competent yet rude or stupid surfer than a floundering beginner.

Butts

Post by Butts » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:10 pm

Nick,
I agree with everything, I am one of these "Learner Kooks". Had a mid-life crisis, started at age 40, being surfing 13 months now. Every day I drive approx 40 klms to check out the conditions @ sunrise, unless VBuoys and the other sites show its going to be hopeless. I have surfed almost everyday for these last 13 months, and yes I know most locals (by face only) at 2 breaks now. Every surfer has my respect, some more than others as there are a couple who recognise that I'm there everyday and accept my mistakes (Mind you I have never dropped in on anybody ever) ie wasting good waves. Sometimes they will even give me a wave, depending on how good it is. I have found most guys are actually quite friendly, and accomodating to a learner like me, as long as you respect the rules. No dropping in, no jumping to the front of the q, and one that I continously have done to me snakin' in on someone.
Respect is a normal morale people should have, regardless of the sport.
But hey, as you said the surfers that can actually surf already have the advantage BIG TIME, but then they are the ones that don't hassle. :)

philw
Local

Post by philw » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:07 pm

i get more hassle from competent locals than i ever do from beginners. if you can surf you can avoid the beginners. i've lived at my local beach for about 5 years and i get dropped in on constantly. usually it happens when there's me and a group of local guys. they control the peak. they burn me. i just shoulder it and try to sneak a few waves. they're pricks and if i were the angry type it'd end up in a fight.

no beginners ever behave like that - they wouldn't even know how.