Speed Fins - Hot or Not?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Poorboy
regular

Speed Fins - Hot or Not?

Post by Poorboy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:58 am

Well after recent amounts of Advertising and team poaching I thought it might be time to ask the question is anybody really using Speed Fins. I know of several shapers that tried em and hated em. One even thought so little of how they went he ripped em out and glassed fins onto his board the next day...
:twisted:
My eyes bleed when the sun shines....

me
Grommet

Post by me » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:40 am

have used them and are still using them. I don't care what any one says but they are the most superior removable fin system i have used (glassed in are still the best). In hollow clean surf you can actually feel them release when you come off the top. I would say try em once

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:55 am

Yeah I've used em and use em and in a variety of different boards and wave sizes and I can say that they are heaps better than all the other removable systems I've used, which is most. Only thing, your've got to use the glass fins the ceramic fins feel really good but snap to easily for my liking and the plastic ones feel dead.

and have a look see at:

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... speed+fins
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Poorboy
regular

Post by Poorboy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:12 am

Well it's good to see i've got the debate rolling so far two supporters I wonder if any one else has an opinion? :twisted:

bro
Local

Post by bro » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:35 am

I ride boards with FCS, glass ons and I have one with speeed, each has their merits and I have had one of my best surfs ever on the board with Speeed so thats enough for me i'm happy

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:35 pm

Tried them on a 6'6 Hobie Fish. It's 20" wide so didn't really notice too much difference.

Hey 300 posts and only 1 lesbian reference...erhhh 2 now :oops:
Never confuse ambition with ability

Poorboy
regular

Post by Poorboy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:29 pm

Oh no you mentioned my favourite topic but i think i should also vow not to brag...
Haha
:twisted:

eMpowered
Local

Speeedfins

Post by eMpowered » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:21 am

I cant quite put into words how I find this topic. I worked for Speeedfins for a year and travelled the NSW coast many times in that time, visiting shapers and shops alike. I found it quite strange how many people who had'nt ever used Speeedfins were quick to comment on how shit they were.

It is true, you will adjust your surfing slightly to ride Speeedfins. But this is only because they don't stop loading. Unlike other systems including fixed fins. Yes thats right, Fixed Fins!!. If you take the time to talk to many pro surfers (As I did whilst working for Speeed) they will tell you they prefer fixed fins because they are very predictable and there boards can be easily riden to the requirements nessecarry in competition surfing. Ie. As many manouvers required by the judges to win a heat, Not as popular hype might impress on you that they are better fins.

Ask most good surfers (including pros) who use Speeed and they will tell you they are very different from ANY other system. Hype is Hype, but If you actually take the time to investigate how the Speeed system works you will see that it makes so much sense. The whole of the back end of the fin moves not just the tip. Fuckin der! of course something like this is going to produce more speed and drive.

I have not worked for Speeedfins for almost a year now and do not have anything to do with them any more except to still get them in my boards. I am wrighting this because I find it sad (And am sick of hearing) that hype reigns supreme over actual knowledge amoungst us surfers.

For me , I do find them extremelly fun n fast.

I use 115 "plastics" in small surf in a normal performance board.

123 "plastics" in my fish

The Chilli,Andy Campbell of 115 fibreglass in my performance boards

And the 115 carbon fins in my guns.

Sorry to go on but as I am trying to say above, See for yourself. Try different Speeedfins, Fin manufacturers make different size fins for different size people . Again "fuckin der"

"I know of several shapers that tried em and hated em. One even thought so little of how they went he ripped em out and glassed fins onto his board the next day... " - If this poor bloke had one lash on them and then proceeded to rip the out what does that really say about his akin to hyped out stories. I usually give a board a few goes? don't you?

Very frustrating this chinese wispers amoungst surfers - go see for yourself.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:21 pm

I use them in my Goeff Horner all-round 6'3" and so far they have been great!

I use the 120 (I think?) fibreglass fins and they're awesome. Its a new board so its kinda hard to tell how much of a difference the fins make but I'm definately noticing that the board is very smooth and carries speed really really well through turns. Quite unlike any board I've ridden actually. Considering I'm riding 1/8" narrower deck and potentially less foam, then the fins might have something to do with it. My next test is to put in super stiff fins to try and minimise their flexing effect. If its not as drivey through turns then I'll definately know its the speedfins.

The fins I have in particular are great too. They're in the medium range of flex but they're really really thin compared to their plastic counterparts (less drag). I could really feel their flex give my turns a bit of a whip in bigger more powerful surf but for small stuff they give maybe a little bit too much hold.

The convenience of them is awesome too. On surf trips when you all go out for your first surf and the surf is absolutely pumping all you have to do is go POP, POP, POP! and you're the first in the water. hehe your mates can watch your first waves while they're fumbling around screwing in their FCS. I'm yet to have a second set for smaller waves but its definately less of a deterrant to change the fins if its a quick pop-out-pop-in. In between waves would be pretty easy too.

The only disadvantages I've found are that a lot of surf shops have a pretty shitty speedfin range so it could get a little tricky to test drive the different ranges. The other problem is that when the fins hit something, like a rock or a person, the rear edge closesed to the board can crush into the board and put a thin hole in the board. Its an easy ding repair but I figure that risk is well worth it for the extra speed and drive I'm getting in my surfing. LUVVIN IT!

I'm sold.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Poorboy
regular

Post by Poorboy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:07 pm

I love it when the converted feel enough emotion to ramble...
But then that is why I started these forums so surfers could become more educated about their fin choice and not just follow the mass marketing strategy that so many fin and accessories companies employ...

Cheers for your thoughts I hope this thread gets better along with the other fin threads i've started.

As surfers we care so much about every aspects of our boards but so many people don't even question the performance of their fins.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:01 am

They can get stuck if u get sand or grit in there, u feel like your nearly gonna pull the plug out sometimes.