IS THE HURRICANE IN THE US KARMA????

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:06 pm

Sounds like its time to break out the tinfoil....
snakes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:31 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Squid wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:If you define a scientific theory as one with predictive value, then you are absolutely right. The point I'd like to make is that it is the christian worldview that provided the foundation for scientific theory: that is, that the world follows rational rules because it had a rational creator.
Hawkeye, there's another basis for what makes scientific theory. Scientific theory is open to disproof. There is no way to disprove creationist ideas, hence they cannot be seen, in any way, as scientific.
I think we're having a furious agreement.

Equally, there is no way to prove that it all happened without a creator.
OK! Here are three flash in the pan creation myths.

1. The creative force behind the Universe is amoral and childlike. It made our Universe many billions of years ago, amusing itself for a blink of its cosmic eye, then forgot about it and went off to do something else, leaving our Universe to gather dust -- to entropise itself eventually out of existence.

2. The creative force behind the Universe is conducting an experiment. It's intensely interested in our development and is watching us closely, monitoring our individual behaviours, judging our each and every move both as a species and as tribal and politically driven groupings. Eventually, once it has gathered the information it seeks, it will terminate the experiment.

3. The creative force behind the Universe lives inside a huge planet circling a star on the other side of the Milky Way galaxy, and is principally interested in the mechanism of death.

Prove or disprove any of 'em? You can't. Convenient really isn't it?

It's not about proof or disproof, it's about clarity of observation. I don't really like metaphors ... but ... it's a bit like the difference between a swell on the charts and a swell as it actually appears on the reef...not really the same thing.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:57 am

Never confuse ambition with ability

NewyBen
Grommet

Post by NewyBen » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:35 am

Shaunm wrote:Some pics of her approach
http://www.auscams.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/Katrina
Katrina Shmatrina. Impressive shots, but nothing to do with her (it :?: )
http://www.extremeinstability.com/
http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/storm.asp

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:53 am

Well done newy ben.

This was on media watch last night as a hoax. Some TV stations got sucked into it. I got the email last week.

Every surfer should have had enough knowledge of the weather to know that these pictures were a hoax. A hurricane or cyclone has a central swirling cloud pattern that covers hundreds of kilometres. These are clearly storm fronts, nascent tornadoes or violent thunderstorms approaching.

Did you get sucked in?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

NewyBen
Grommet

Post by NewyBen » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:06 pm

I too got the email (a couple of times actually, gotta love getting the same damn forward from 3 different people) but wasn't sucked in. Although I must confess that it was due to having got the pictures in various other forwards in the past rather than my knowledge of the weather :oops:

And yep I caught it on Media Watch (great show, although I reckon Stuart Littlemore was the best host, until he of course fecked himself telling porky pies about his pay). I was going to paste the link for the story with those others, but must have left it off. http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transc ... 468436.htm

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:31 pm

Fortunately, Rita dropped to a cat 3, wobbled a little to the east, and struck at probably the least populated area it could have...karma? dumb luck, I say.
But, if you've followed the news reports, we yanks occaisionally learn by our mistakes (gotta love a free and open press), most people evacuated-itself a problem that needs tweaking- emergency supplies were pre-positioned, National Guard (those not in Iraq) at the ready.
All in all, not too shabby a response, I think.

And Bush seems to have adopted a more caring attitude: When asked what he thought of "Roe vs. Wade," he said, "I don't care how the people get out of New Orleans."

In the meantime, over on the east coast, we had a very pleasant, playful chest to head swell over the weekend from tropical storm Phillipe. Maybe I'll be able to find some photos to submit.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:17 am

HB
regular

Post by HB » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:34 am

This intelligent design debate intrigues me because it's so wrapped up in politics and religion.

If you are the slightest bit interested in I.D. you should read this article from the NewYork Times by a philosophy professor at TUFTS University.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/28/opini ... 1127966400

It's a really easy read. Here's just tiny sample:

"It's worth pointing out that there are plenty of substantive scientific controversies in biology that are not yet in the textbooks or the classrooms. The scientific participants in these arguments vie for acceptance among the relevant expert communities in peer-reviewed journals, and the writers and editors of textbooks grapple with judgments about which findings have risen to the level of acceptance - not yet truth - to make them worth serious consideration by undergraduates and high school students.

SO get in line, intelligent designers. Get in line behind the hypothesis that life started on Mars and was blown here by a cosmic impact. Get in line behind the aquatic ape hypothesis, the gestural origin of language hypothesis and the theory that singing came before language, to mention just a few of the enticing hypotheses that are actively defended but still insufficiently supported by hard facts."
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

HB
regular

Post by HB » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:57 am

toasta wrote:reeflingo - if it was all the greenhouse emissions and the atmosphere being far ked up by them - why did it happen in 1906???
You sound like one of those people that doesn't quite believe that anything is changing on this planet.

Well how's this for a coincidence?

Rita has broken multiple records, being the earliest 17th named storm, the third most intense storm, and quickest drop of pressure in one hour. Hurricane Rita recently became the third most intense hurricane on record in the Atlantic basin and the most intense hurricane on record in the Gulf of Mexico, the latter a record set by Hurricane Katrina three weeks earlier.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

reeflingo
Grommet
Location: Where ever theres a sucky, hollow, perfect, peeling wave

Post by reeflingo » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:07 pm

all the polar ice caps are melting isnt that some of a sign?