hurricane Ophelia

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

plan b
regular

Post by plan b » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:53 am

i read that the high temps in the mexican gulf are responsible for the upgrade to cat 5.

is 32 in the gulf at this time of year uncommon ?

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:33 am

lol huricane fong

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:58 am

I don't know which way Munch is driving to get to Coffs but 9 hours is a bit extreme. You can make it in about 6.5 these days. You will be in school holidays here so be warned of lots of places up the coast being booked out. Ring first or stay with Fong or Johnno.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Agro
regular

Post by Agro » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:12 pm

Have a look this
http://buoyweather.com/wxnav.jsp?region ... -5&units=e
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Rita's going to cause some serious destruction.

plan b
regular

Post by plan b » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:38 pm

Agro wrote:Have a look this
http://buoyweather.com/wxnav.jsp?region ... -5&units=e
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Rita's going to cause some serious destruction.
am i reading it correctly, is that an 84ft wave at 7pm yesterday US time?

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:27 pm

its only 14sec peroid would that make it smaller? Wouldnt 20sec or something be better?

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:15 pm

Spoon wrote:I don't know which way Munch is driving to get to Coffs but 9 hours is a bit extreme. You can make it in about 6.5 these days. You will be in school holidays here so be warned of lots of places up the coast being booked out. Ring first or stay with Fong or Johnno.
Yeah been a while since I went up that way and every time I go I'm always getting side tracked so I've got little idea of times.
And yes I'm sure Fonger and Johnno would be more than happy to put youse up for a couple of days.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:15 am

Fong tells me (by owl) that he's already got me room picked out; somethin about with a Missus Merkin? :shock: and a chicken suit :shock: :shock:

bouyweather: 82 ft. sea (sort of like wind chop, I reckon, on steroids)
55 ft. underlying swell
@ 7PM Fri., Sept, 23 ( which hasn't arrived here yet, it's about 2PM as I write this)
74 kt. wind gust
54 kt sustained
From the SE

And that bouy's not where the highest winds (140 kts) are.
Gulf waters wicked warm, "the loop current", big ass ocean current, 2-3 kt, is comin up from the Yucatan in Mexico, and supercharging these monsters.
Yeah, the longer the period, the better they would jack up and break when they reach shallow water, not that Laird has hopped on a plane or anything.

Well, munchie, what's the deal with Freedom Island? Why no surf? I was kind of hoping it'd be a mini tavarua, or at least a lord howe or phillips.
more like a gilligan's? tho I could be very happy with Ginger and Mary Ann for three weeks, in any case :P 8) , surfing be damned.