Shark Culling

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Bear
barnacle

Shark Culling

Post by Bear » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:01 pm

Ladies and Gents,
Just interested in peoples views on shark culling. I am asking this as the recent guy who got taken in South Aus said he wants there to be culls to cut the risk to surfers etc.
I think this is crap but dinner is ready so Ill elaborate further later!!!

Ideas? Thoughts? Arguments? Slanging matches?

roosters
regular

Post by roosters » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:15 pm

its their domain. leave them be. i guess the cull will only affect certain species of sharks (bull, pointer etc) which are known man eaters but i think its part of the risk with being in those waters...just like crocs in the tropics or snakes and spiders in rainforests.

beck_surfs
Grommet

Post by beck_surfs » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:27 pm

I guess none of us can really give an unbiased point of view because we have never experienced a shark attack, asnthe man from SA did. Personally I am totally against, I mean this is just as much our world as it is theirs. And it really distresses me to see ictures of sharks, whales, or any animal hanging on a noose of a ship like its on display, just plain wrong!

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:31 pm

when is it ok to kill an animal?

all i can say is i enjoyed my dinner tonight :lol:

Bear
barnacle

Post by Bear » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:31 pm

I agree. There was a post a few weeks ago where someone wanted to net a lot of beaches and cull them back.
But i basically agree with all you above!
GREAT JOB GANG! Thats another GROOVY Mystery Solved!

roosters
regular

Post by roosters » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:34 pm

and it was good to see that common sense prevailed in the world voting commission for whaling.

apparentlyit was a close call and ive got a feeling we might not be so lucky in the next vote, especially if the japs keep buying these countries off

pringle
Grommet

Post by pringle » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:53 am

Has anyone heard the blokes comments on the news......maybe nature should have taken its toll on this bloke, what a moron. Well that last part was uincalled for but this guy is now calling for the culling of sharks, and then comparing that to killing elephants.
What an absolute joke, we all surf in their natural environment, we all know the risks, it sux but we just have to suck it up. Obviously steps need to be taken such as looking at the fishing industry etc. Sorry bout that rave just watching the news really got me fired up seeing a fellow surfer making such a stupid and pig headed statement, I have definatley kept my language to a minimum here because I am boiling, what does everyone else think.................

birubi

Post by birubi » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:29 am

you either need massive shark nets to keep them out of an area or take the risk

shish
regular

Post by shish » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:16 am

I think people can be very inconsistent in the sort of animals that they feel strongly about. If we started killing Great Whites because they keep killing humans there would be an outrage, but no-one gives a shit that most farmers regularly go out and shoot wild Kangaroos (for example) or Dingoes are reguarly baited near farming areas.

Its not right for people to be regularly killed by the same sort of animal. I dont know if Culling is the answer or not, but someone needs to undertake some form of study as to why Great Whites seem to be attacking more regularly. If its to do with fishing industry practices, burleying up the water or whatever, then perhaps the danger can be managed to some extent.
yeehaa!

infectious
regular

Post by infectious » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:20 am

lets cull bees while we're at it... word on the street is that they kill hundreds of people each year.

lets cull people who never take their bloody great 4wd's out of mosman

lets cull idiotic p-platers... sorry, theyre doing it themselves

lets cull fat chicks who wear midriff tops- stop visual terrorism

lets cull dell computers because i dont like them

lets cull people who get attacked by sharks

lets cull people who screw up suicide attempts

this is great, if you have a problem with something just cull it!! dont know why i didnt think of it sooner!!
"I wanna be on you"

robbieg
regular

Post by robbieg » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:42 am

There is a massive difference between culling kangaroos and sharks... if you have ever lived on a farm and seen what they do to a paddock you would want to cull them too. I know that we live in there natural envirement but really you gotta live somewhere...

culling sharks is not on though, when you paddle out you take a risk, you may get cut up by a learner on a mal, you may get cut up by a shark... i know what is more likely :shock:

It sucks that people get attacked, and if the fishos are regularily burleying up the water then you can see why they hang there, make more sense to do that a long way out...

basically a thousand words to tell you i am not into shark culling...

infectious
regular

Post by infectious » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:54 am

there are too many kangaroos because of all the pasture created by humans... therefore culling is needed.

there are too few sharks and too many surfers... the sharks are doing us a favour leave them alone
"I wanna be on you"

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:30 pm

it really makes me sick when people mention killing/culling sharks. As much as people would like to, we DON'T rule every square inch of this planet, and as soon as you step foot in the water, you should know your in something elses territory, something elses domain, we weren't built to live in water, technically we shouldn't really be in there, thats why everytime i go in the water i know the risks i'm taking, and any fool that doesnt know what he's doing, then shouldn't have any right to be there, let alone have the guts to say we should cull the animals that VERY RARELY attack humans. **** grrrrr it really really REALLY gets to me, i wish the shark finished him off so he couldnt get the chance to spread this crap to the rest of the uninformed puplic through the idiotic media.

Cliff

Post by Cliff » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:49 pm

you guys are tripping kill the fkn sharks, we kill all otehr fish why not kill the ones that eat people. I'd be happy if we killed every single shark in the world

mad
charger

Post by mad » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:56 pm

Great White Shark research: http://www.marine.csiro.au/research/pel ... /index.htm

[/quote]Its not right for people to be regularly killed by the same sort of animal

The first thing to cull would be ourselves on this logic, but hang on we're already doing that.

Shark culls are happening in our oceans already due to overfishing to meet the insatiable shark fin market. Research is currently being undertaken as to how aquatic ecosystems will cope with their top end predators taken out of the systems. Every action causes a reaction, remember Yellowstone national park.

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:07 pm

pringle wrote:... this guy is now calling for the culling of sharks, and then comparing that to killing elephants ...
DOH! i was a bit pissed when I saw the news story and I misunderstood the guy, thought he said that great whites are killing elephants in Africa, which left me scratching my head... would make for a great email video though!

Fredo
Grommet

Shark culling

Post by Fredo » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:20 pm

Mmmm...
By the looks of the majority of people on this forum, you're all from the East Coast or as ASL kind of put it - the best stretch of coast in Oz!!! But thats not what i'm here to talk about.

The guy who got attacked has a name - Jake. He's not a moron or any other name you wish to throw up at him - he's a longtime local, a family man, a bloody good surfer and makes his living from the sea as a cray fisherman.

I've surfed with Jake on many occasions at the spot he got attacked. Over the past 40 odd years a couple of sharks have been spotted in the area but no attacks have occured. I personally haven't seen a shark out that way for in 20 plus years of surfing out there. It was just one of those things - wrong time, wrong place!!! Like getting struck by lightning I guess.

What you guys don't know about is the lead up to these shark attacks and whats been happening in these waters over the last decade. As you may be aware for those that live outside the circle t you live in on the East Coast, tuna farming has taken over as Port Lincoln's prime commercial industry. It used to be grain, barley etc etc...

At present it's tuna harvesting season - the harvest boats are doing double-time. There is blood and shit going straight back into the sea and waiting for it to fall is an increasing number of Great White sharks which circle these boats for food. When was the last time any of you saw 15 Great Whites averaging 12-18ft in one spot at one time??? Tuna harvesting is now quickly winding up leaving next to no free food for the sharks so can you imagine where 15 large great white sharks are going to go!!! The water is getting warmer, so they congregate in shallower water that just so happens to be very close to extremely popular beaches. Once upon a time the sharks where more spread out but because they are being fed daily by tuna operators on a healthy 2 meals a day of pilchards they don't have to go far now for their next meal.

Now - what the tuna operators are saying is that these farms don't attract sharks!!! This is the biggest load of crap and is a coverup to protect their luctrative industry. These operators reap millions of dollars profit each year from tuna but won't accept constructive criticism of their blatant disregard of the impact these farms have created on shark numbers.

Jake has fished for many years and is a very wise person. He's seen the shark numbers increase with his bare eyes over the last decade thru his working on the sea and since tuna farms started operating in these waters. Sure, he's probably spoken a little too soon after the incident but he's only saying what he feels and what many fisherman, surfers and watermen/women have been to scared to say in the threat of being ridiculed. After what he's just gone thru I think he's more than entitled to his say in this situation.

One good thing to come out of all this is that the situation has once again been brought forward for open discussion and more into the community eye. Jake will get back in the water in his own time - so lets hope the wounds heal quickly, however the mind may take a little longer...

I also guess that some narrow minded fools on this forum will be crossing SA of your glovebox road atlas - beauty!!!

johnny utah
regular

Post by johnny utah » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:34 pm

Kill em all.
Utah, make it two!