Quiksilver Cell wetsuit durability?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hawkeye
barnacle

Quiksilver Cell wetsuit durability?

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:21 pm

I just bought a Cell steamer from Surfection Mosman. The life of the smoothskin sleeves and shoulders concerns me - I've seen quite a few cracked and fallen apart on guys out in the water.

The guy in the shop responded "Oh, it's got a 2 year warranty" when I mentioned this, which convinced me, but when I get back in the car and look more closely at the card I find it is only ONE year.

I'm thinking of taking it back for a refund, but was wondering what you guys thought: Will I get more than 2 seasons out of it before the sleeves/shoulders crack up or fall apart? I surf 4-5 sessions a week.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:33 pm

First hand experience....

Bought my first QS Cell wetty in June 2004. Nice fit and comfy...

Sent it back when it tore just below the zipper in August 2004. Got a new wetty within a week, different design but still the same QS Cell brand.

Checked out my wetty about a month ago, and noticed it going in a similar place, just below the zipper (a hole and the seam was starting to come apart). Sent it back again, and just received my 3rd Cell wetty in just over a year.

Mate, their customer service is excellent - would I recomend the Cell....not really.

Saying that, after the level of customer service I've received - I'd consider buying another one ---- after I manage to keep the wetty without it breaking for at least 2 years.

plan b
regular

Post by plan b » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:36 pm

i bought a cell (glued seams) from surfection in mosman, awesome suit. the flex prene stuff on the chest developed a pinch type tear, opened up into a small hole, took it back under warranty, 3 weeks later i had a brand new 05 cell (worth something like $550). awesome, happy, get a new 12 month warranty on it too.

start surfing it again this winter. it has come apart at the seams near the shoulder. not enough to send it in, yet, but i will.

so i paid $330 for a top of the line cell (on sale) in 2004 and have got a 2nd brand new season suit free, and will undoubtedly get this one repaired also under warranty.

the guys at surfection mosman are dudes.

:D

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback fellas. The service-under-warranty stories are very reassuring. Another mate just had both his replaced with new 05 model suits within the first year's ownership. Quick turnaround, too - less than a week, I think. Very cool.

What concerns me is that folks are having to send them back for multiple replacements. Based on previous track record, I'd expect to get 3 seasons from a suit unless I do something stupid. Long story short, I took the suit back to Surfection Mosman this evening, partly on principle and partly because of these stories.

The (alleged) 2-year warranty was what sold me on spending the extra on the Cell. When I pointed out the reality, the guy was really dismissive and narky, and offered no apology for his mistake, instead saying "Oh, that's just fine print" (among other glib comments) in a really condescending manner.

They may have a lot of clout with the wholesaler because of the size of their account, and sure, they promised to look after me if I had a problem, but if he lied or took short cuts on "fine print" to swing a sale, is treating my like a stupid, picky customer now, would I expect any better treatment when it comes time to deliver on promises? :x

At least I got my money back without a fight.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:18 am

Good job Hawkeye if the salesman lied that's good enough reason to take it back as that f@cking sh1ts me
the early cells had some problems but apparently have been fixed but I wouldn't reccomend a suit based on the customer service you got sending it back to be repaired sounds a bit backward to me
I have one i don't wear (got it given to me) and will probably wear it next winter as I will never wear another billabong suit worst I've come across even when you get them for nothing

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:27 am

Good one Hawkeye, would have done the same. Just get a funny gut feeling when your are dealing with people like that.

Seems to be a problem with design for the number that are being returned then replaced with new ones.

I'll just stick with Rip Curl.................. :wink:

Alvin
Grommet

Post by Alvin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:53 am

I'm on my 2nd Cell now...got the last one replaced for free after the seams starting coming apart and the knee started wearing through after one winter.

I was stoked to get a new one, but after 3 months or so, the knee has started going again....delaminating? Not sure if that's the right word...the neoprene inbetween the cloth has kind of disintegrated, so water gets in. The kneepad always slips round on my leg, so the cloth is left in contact with my tailpad. Never had that problem with any other suit.

Also, has anyone noticed the rubber from the kneepads comes off and leaves dirty black marks at the back of your board?

Anyway, they're a warm, flexible and really comfortable suit, and the customer service is good...but I don't rate their durability...and the kneepads are pretty bad. As much as I like wearing the suit, I'm not sure I'd get another one unless I could afford a new one each year.

plan b
regular

Post by plan b » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:07 am

Alvin wrote:I'm on my 2nd Cell now...got the last one replaced for free after the seams starting coming apart and the knee started wearing through after one winter.

I was stoked to get a new one, but after 3 months or so, the knee has started going again....delaminating? Not sure if that's the right word...the neoprene inbetween the cloth has kind of disintegrated, so water gets in. The kneepad always slips round on my leg, so the cloth is left in contact with my tailpad. Never had that problem with any other suit.

Also, has anyone noticed the rubber from the kneepads comes off and leaves dirty black marks at the back of your board?

Anyway, they're a warm, flexible and really comfortable suit, and the customer service is good...but I don't rate their durability...and the kneepads are pretty bad. As much as I like wearing the suit, I'm not sure I'd get another one unless I could afford a new one each year.
sounds like a familiar story

i was stoked to get a replacement for free, but the neoprene shouldnt delaminate, as you describe, coz this is what happened to my last one, and is slowly happening to this newby.

i thoroughly wash my suit in the shower after every surf and it drip drys in the shade also.

i think what quiksilver had achieved is a really flexible suit, but have indirectly compromised on the strength and durability of the material.

it could mean that i get a new suit on warranty every season for the rest of my life. :lol:

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:44 pm

I've posted a while back about Cell problems... I had the hole at the bottom of the zipper problem, twice... got a replacement both times... latest one is out of warranty and yes the shoulders are cracked to shit! I'll admit I don't take great care of it sometimes, occasionally it might get left in the wetty tub for a few days in the laundry before I wash it... but the cracks are really bad now, actual holes right through to the inner mesh.

Dicco
Grommet

Post by Dicco » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:05 pm

yep, I bought one of these and it fell apart in 3mths ...
never again!

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:51 pm

thought it was just me!
i bought one the first year it came out (winter 2003?) lasted first winter with frequent regular use no worries. winter 2004 had normal wear and tear but had the old splitting rubber under the zipper problem. sent it back, got a new one, lasted ok thus far, but not nearly as good as my original, lets water in etc etc.

i reckon the one thqat looks the go is the new PEAK steamer with the glued seams and the zipless entry, a mate has one and he loves it.

Cells are great to keep lanky blokes like me warm in winter, but durability wise, if you really work your wetties id go something else. ive heard from a few people the new billabong wetties should be steered clear of as well. aaaah rumours.

Dicco
Grommet

Post by Dicco » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:11 pm

I found that I keep really warm by wearing a lycra wettie under a steamer - that is I went to a dive shop and got a "stinger suit"/ lycra full steamer thingo that divers wear under their wetties to add warmth.Also it makes getting out of a steamer just so much easier when yu have one of these on ...