Billabong Pro J Bay

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Billabong Pro J Bay

Post by Johnno » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:42 am

Well small waves for start of the contest with today's round being called off due to lack of swell, and the wind. With the propect of not much happening for another few days, but does appear that by Monday things should start to get interesting going by the swell charts.

Contest web site
http://www.billabongpro.com/jbay05/

Occy has made it through but has drawn Bruce Irons in round three.Bummer.

But there are 18 Aussie to compete in round three, which does have a few good match ups amougst the contest draw so bring on the waves.

Who's your tip!

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:46 am

Yeah, he is surfing with a lot of vigour this year but would like to see an Aussie hold up the trophy..............come on Mick.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:42 am

My inside dope is that K. Slater is extremely confident of a win and has a couple of killer new boards with which to do the job.

You can tell by the performances so far that the top echelon take this event very seriously as a guide to form later in the year and as a feather-in-the-cap type confidence booster. If Slater does win, many of his competitors may become resigned to his winning a seventh world title.

Parko is Kelly's main danger. They're on opposing sides of the draw and while Joel's run looks a bit tougher than Kelly's, Parko is definitely up to the job. AI will be sweating the wildcard, Fahrenfort, he doesn't like surfing against people he doesn't know.

I love Occ but sentiment doesn't win heats, if the surf stays small (as it's meant to) it won't work in his favour.

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:08 am

i think the level of surfing so far has been incredible, i think that the outcome is not so clear with many people in contention

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:24 am

Just going back over the swell charts and a good size low should start to pass the cape on Wednesday and I think they have until 24/07. So it would be good if they could hold off until that system swings by.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:07 pm

Last edited by baldric on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

clinker
Grommet

Post by clinker » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:35 pm

wanto wrote:Upcoming Round 3 Heats
Ht1: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs Luke Stedman (AUS)
Ht2: Luke Egan (AUS) vs Marcelo Nunes (BRA)
Ht3: Fred Patacchia (HAW) vs Mick Lowe (AUS)
Ht4: Trent Munro (AUS) vs Timmy Reyes (USA)
Ht5: Cory Lopez (USA) vs Lee Winkler (AUS)
Ht6: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs Bede Durbidge (AUS)
Ht7: Tom Whitaker (AUS) vs Jake Paterson (AUS)
Ht8: Kelly Slater (USA) vs Damien Fahrenfort (ZAR)
Ht9: Andy Irons (HAW) vs Bernardo Pigmeu (BRA)
Ht10: Bruce Irons (HAW) vs Mark Occhilupo (AUS)
Ht11: Nathan Hedge (AUS) vs Raoni Monteiro (BRA)
Ht12: Phillip MacDonald (AUS) vs Neco Padaratz (BRA)
Ht13: Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs Toby Martin (AUS)
Ht14: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs Richie Lovett (AUS)
Ht15: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs Greg Emslie (ZAF)
Ht16: Daniel Wills (AUS) vs Taylor Knox (USA)
Surfline here in the states is stating that Padaratz just got the flick for using steroids, if the news is right he is banned as of now, so I am thinking Phil Macca is looking good for the next round

clinker
Grommet

Post by clinker » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:44 pm

macca would have to go thru unchallenged, droppin in a wildcard this late would not be on. Wardo will try to slip in .

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:52 pm

Last edited by baldric on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:24 am

off topic ... but ...

re; the signing up to surf jbay with just a mate: when ya go to nias the locals have a boardriders comp sometimes, particularly july. for 10 bucks you get nias with just you and a couple of friends for 1 hour heats. this works well when swell is pumping and no-one else can surf of course. wooohooo. got through 4 rounds last time b/c the best surfers kept breaking their boards haha. soooo many barrels and won my money back hahahahahahahaha.

digging this watching comps like jbay live on the net thing too, altho the commentators tend to be schmucks, especially that schmoo bloke ... sheesh.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:01 pm

They can't help 'emselves, Clif (the commentators that is). Put a microphone in front of a bloke and it works just like climbing onto a jetski ... you instantly become a dickhead.

A bit of contest info: Phil Macca gets a free ticket thanks to Neco's witless steroidal indiscretion. (Neco, if you believe him, thought it was "medicine"! Poor bloke.)

And re the drug testing, it only happens in France because the Govt insists on it, and Neco is far from the only one to be busted ... just that the others are caught for marijuana and other supposedly non-performance-enhancing "recreational" drugs, quietly pay a fine (the ASP will not reveal the names), and everyone moves on. In Neco's case, they had no choice but to boot him.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:00 pm

wanto wrote:(hey johnno, are they biting today?;))
Been a great day here, and just nice to be out working in the BEER GARDEN...................as I'm the groundsman/gardener............ :D

Hook into it now and its easy in summer..............by then all I have to do is mow, surf all day and drink home brew..............bitch of a life but someone has to do it. :wink: :lol: