GOODBYE TO SEA ULCERS!!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hunter

GOODBYE TO SEA ULCERS!!

Post by Hunter » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:39 am

Hey All,
Just a general public service announcement, as many of you may have experienced if you get a tiny cut and continue surfing everyday it doesn't heal and turns into a dirty sea ulcer, if you want it to heal ya gotta stop surfing but...........
I have recently been using this spray on bandage stuff to cover little cuts up. It puts like a thin layer of plastic over the skin, that is water proof but allows the skin to breathe and hey presto! no more sea ulcers,
you can get the stuff from a chemist.

I'm heading to fiji on saturday and im keen to see how it goes covering up the coral cuts!! (heres hoping I don't need it)

Mexican
Grommet

Post by Mexican » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:55 am

Yeah that stuff rocks. Lost a bit of me foot in indo, used plastic skin and it was no worries. Kept the sand and water out. Just watch putting your thongs on straight after application or they become part of ya!

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:11 am

hahahaha i am guessing you learnt the hard way becoming one with your thongs,
at the same time it could do away with having to put booties on!

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:06 am

I agree with Wanto - on me it seems to keep cuts moist but not let them heal properly.

On the flip side though, it does allow you to keep surfing without fear of infection from the water, which is ideal for the rest of your holiday.

At least if your foot drops off when you get home you'll be able to look back on your photos from Bali/Fiji etc and remember what a good time you had.

spikeysteve

Post by spikeysteve » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:39 am

Ive found that mango body butter from the body shop to be the best stuff for sea ulcers. just grab some off ya chick, apply a coupla times a day, and sea ulcer gone in 2 or 3 days. and no scarring, if you continue applying. gold!

jay spence
regular

Post by jay spence » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:53 am

i don't use the plastic skin 'cos I think it contains some pretty gnarly plastic-type chemicals that get absorbed pretty readily into your body through an open wound. I put chinese medicine on my ulcers, I forget its name but it comes in a little red bottle with a picture of a boat on it. You can get it from chinese herb and massage-type shops, it's good for reef cuts too. Put Elastoplast (from the chemist) over the wound and try to keep it dry and clean between surfs (take the Elastoplast off and apply more chinese medicine when you get out of the water). Scrub reef cuts with 3% peroxide and a toothbrush, then apply chinese medicine. Hurts a bit but stops infection.

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:06 pm

Agree about the chemical thing Jas, but don't some of those Chinese remedies contain bits of tiger dick and elephant eyebrows??
God boy, rub that into ya skin and you'll be walking around with a horrie for a week.[/quote]

nthnbeachesguy
Local
Location: Sydney, where??? dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:06 am

On the boat if ya cut urself it was lime on first, ouch then some of that chinese red bottle stuff or some peroxide. No one got any ulcers and we were surfing 6-9hrs a day everyday for 18 days. I got a nasty little slice on the inside of the ball of my foot right where my foot makes contact with my tailpad. That plastic skin wouldnt save it from anything so i SUPER GLUED it shut. I made sure it was clean as before i did it and just superglued it once every couple of days, was right as rain and never bothered me again, cant recommend the stuff enough!!!!

jay spence
regular

Post by jay spence » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:08 pm

Some of the chinese medicines do seem to contain some pretty suss ingredients, but the stuff i'm talking about is only plant-based products, there is an ingredient list on the side of the little cardboard package the bottle comes in. I don't think it is good to use anything with rhinocerous horn or tiger dick in it, no matter what the supposed health benefits are. I don't really think it does humans or animals any favours.

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:39 pm

my problem is mine is on the top of my foot (back foot surfing), and i knock it everytime i stand up and take off. ive tried everything, booties, liquid bandaid, normal bandaids, even abstaining from surfing, nothing works!

any ideas?

my sea ulcer turned 2 yrs old a few weeks ago!

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:40 pm

Jamoe wrote:
any ideas?

my sea ulcer turned 2 yrs old a few weeks ago!
:shock: :shock: You seriously need to do something.

Buy it a Teletubbies or Wiggles DVD.

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:52 am

haha yeah good idea! got to hate those "Terrible two's" it keeps me up at all hours of the night, especially if i knock it on the end of the bed.
haha