Good Sydney shapers?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

hando777

Good Sydney shapers?

Post by hando777 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:40 am

I'm looking to get a custom board made and it will be my first custom after years of "off-the-rack" and 2nd hand boards. With all the Chinese imports etc, I think it's time to support the local boys.

I'd like to be able to talk to the guy who will ultimately shape the board (rather than talk to him and then have one of his minions shape it), and also to get it in a reasonable time frame without too many delays.

Can anyone recommend a good shaper that they have had a good experience with?

nbishop

sydney shapers

Post by nbishop » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:11 am

i've had a couple of boards shaped by hayden cox (www.haydenshapes.com), working out of mona vale. he's still on a small-ish scale. but committed to his work and drives the whole business himself. you can test-ride any of the boards in advance and he's personally involved in the whole process.

you may have to wait a little while due to this personal involvement however. :lol:

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:47 pm

You could get one shaped by the master - Simon Anderson.

Remember that most shapers these days use machines, so if you have a vision that your board's being made by someone walking up and down a blank with a Skil 100, think again. Most use CNC machines (or worse), and then finish shape them. Some shapers - as you alluded - don't touch their boards at all.

Col.

hando777

Post by hando777 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:53 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah I am aware of the shaping machine issue, but I'm just trying to avoid the situation where I talk to the shaper...then he talks to some grom out the back saying "Yeah it's a bit like this, and a bit like that"...and then the grom shapes it...and it's nothing like what I asked for.

It'd be just good if the dude made sure it was as close as possible to what we originally discussed.

Maybe asking too much, since my names not Mick or TB!

BEN

Post by BEN » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:32 pm

I have gotten a few haydenshapes. The last board i had was sick, but every board i have had from him seems to break really easily. It was an awesome board for $595 until it snapped 5 weeks later at 2 foot broken head. I heard he uses cheap resin, its a type of resin that sets in the sun haha and he uses it because it sets way quicker and he can pop out way more boards! pist orf if thats the case!

The best board i ever had was actually by jeff horner.. i hate the gay lizard he puts on his boards though! haha.

BEN

Post by BEN » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:27 pm

haha the L'up logo is crap. Hey wanto has he still got a site that works? Whats the address?

Maybe he can do something different from the lizard if i get a custom haha

hando777

Post by hando777 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:56 pm

Thanks Wanto - I'll give Damien a ring.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:15 pm

BEN wrote: Hey wanto has he still got a site that works? Whats the address?
take one guess. (or maybe two)

or touch me :wink:

bro
Local

Post by bro » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:35 pm

Simon Anderson doesn't use a ghost shaper but the board could come down from Base but from discussions with Simon he does custom and team boards and stockies are made at Base in QLD, can't beat getting a board off the guy who invented them.

Otherwise

Warner - he would shape it
Webber - he definately won't
Chilli - he would but you will wait a life time

they would be my top 4 in Sydney

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:39 pm

:oops:

nthnbeachesguy
Local
Location: Sydney, where??? dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:58 pm

Get all my boards of Warner, top bloke!!!!!

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:24 pm

Damian Merry makes a good board. His longboards are nicely shaped as well

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:57 pm

I've been getting Peter Daniel of Division from Mona Vale to shape my boards for years, he's a true craftsman and certainly knows his stuff. Drop in to his shop and he'll definitely be able to help you out, you could also get a Marty Worthington spray done at the same time, as he works from the same set up in Darly St, what a combo, two master craftsmen.