surfing girlfriends/boyfriends

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:18 pm

Mandy Zieren and Kira Llewellyn.

Don't look at 'em, you'll get confused and miss the next set wave.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:19 pm

Squid wrote: everybody, NEVER EVER take on the job of teaching a loved partner to drive. you'll feel like an arsehole. i know. :evil:
Just give them the keys and hang on........ :shock:

platty
regular

Post by platty » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:51 pm

Kays first board.

Some comp at Avoca.

Same wave.

platty.

Chamberess
Owl status

A girl's perspective..cont

Post by Chamberess » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:51 am

but when it came down to actually going surfing together i refused and avoided the topic altogether.

I guess its a case by case scenario.my ex had previously criticised me on other aspects of my life and i sure as hell wasnt going to let him ruin surfing for me.

So we never surfed together in the 1 1/2 years we dated.Needless to say the fact we didnt surf together was a contributing factor to the breakup.

But in the end,it's good to go out with someone who surfs,shares that interest.Someone you can watch surf dvd's with,both learn a bit from each other and get advice on which fins work well,what your next custom board should be,etc.

You kill two birds with one stone-you get to go surfing and you can claim you spent "quality time" together, which is often a heated issue in relationships.

plan b
regular

Post by plan b » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:40 am

I recently broke up with my girlfriend of 2.5 years and when we met, she had been surfing for about 8 years. I had surfed a little when i was young, but picked it up again when i met her. I improved fast, she helped me select boards, pick the right waves and position myself. We would surf religeously, travel up and down the coast and generally enjoy the downtime together. Having now broken up, not having that pal to go surfing with really bums me out. i stayed out of the water for a good 4 weeks.

Having a partner that enjoys the ocean as much as you do can (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread) be the maker or breaker of a relationship. In my experience, it was the glue, the common ground, the sweetener.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:53 am

platty wrote:Kays first board.
Hurray for Kay! Nee Jarman! One of my favourite humans in the world. She ripped the Peak even before they made Roxy gear! You're a lucky bloke Platty, even if she does drop in on ya.

dilution

Post by dilution » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:43 pm

booter wrote:
dilution wrote:I've been trying to teach my girlfriend to surf for about 3years now. Let me tell you that it's not the easiest thing in the world. I've been surfing for 20yrs, and you think you know a bit about wave riding by that time, but geez I get some hell for trying to teach.

She's only ever riden foamys in my experience.

So we go away on a surf trip last summer, with a whole bunch of non-surfing successful career types. Sarah, not wanting to be the surfers girlfriend who couldn't surf, put everything into being better than the rest. She listenned to the instructor, did the lessons right, and then got out there on her own board (not the big foamy things), and took off on this perfect little unbroken wave. Riden sideways all the way to the beach, she'd never experienced the feeling I'd had for so long till that moment - 2 or so years after she started. Eye's beaming, massive smile and giggling she was so stoked, paddled out ready for the next one.

There's a picture of her on that wave stuck to our fridge, to remind her where I go every Saturday morning for 4hrs, and to remind her that only a surfer knows the feeling. reckon she'll surf forever now - which is a good thing.

Bring it on girls.
This post gave me goose bumps.
:D nice post!
Thanks Booter - chick are cool in the water. manly's getting some good little rippers lately.
OFF the TOP

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:41 pm

Mine's just learning so there goes my saturday morning escape, however luckily I'm self employed - sorta so I can get the odd mid week escape from the world type feeling
Never confuse ambition with ability

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:03 pm

fong wrote:ok then, i'll take this advice.partners who surf are a turn off :shock: but if shes into fishin and has her own boat..... oh baby please........ :lol:
and will hold your rod for you :lol:

snakes

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:11 pm

Johnno wrote: Just give them the keys and hang on........ :shock:
More like give them the keys & get the farq out of there :shock:

snakes

platty
regular

Post by platty » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:33 pm

Nick. Kay did not know that I posted these photos until this morning.

She thinks that board in the top photo is one of your old boards.

platty.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:42 am

Hmm not sure about that though the fin looks like it's in the right place for one of those mid to late 70s Wades or G&Ss. Might be one of Tom's actually -- I seem to remember Kay on one of his second handers.

The girls who started surfing at that point in Aussie surfing history were a special breed I reckon. They had no cultural encouragement at all, they paddled out into a ruthless, aggressive young male environment way fiercer than you'll see at most beaches these days. It must have been horribly intimidating at times but I sometimes wonder if it was a bit like grasping the nettle -- once girls like Kay and Julia Farmer got out there, we all just turned into pussycats around 'em. God help any dumb stranger who dropped in on 'em, the dropper-in would have been torn to pieces.

I can't help thinking they shared something with the spectacular US and Hawaiian women pros of the 1970s: Rell Sunn, Jericho Poppler, Lynne Boyer, Margo Oberg, Linda Davoli and the like. Those women were real knockouts -- they made some of their male counterparts look like the little boys they really were.

Surfing as a sport and a culture was stronger for their presence and it will be ever stronger as more females come out and ride the waves (and ensnare their witless boyfriends in the process :wink: ).

Laurie McGinness
regular

Post by Laurie McGinness » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:02 am

Does anybody remember Judy Trim? She was about the only girl surfer on the northern beaches from the mid-sixties through to the early seventies when the male dominated culture finally got to her. Given her contest record and the performance level she achieved it's surprising how rarely she gets a mention in surfing history, but then again she pretty much despised the whole scene by the time she gave it away so I suppose she is happier to be forgotten.

I remember Linda Davoli really well. I surfed with her a few times in Hawaii then when she came over for the contest season she surfed Curl Curl a lot so I saw her everyday for a while. Caught up with her again the following year with Bobby Owens in Bali and spent a couple of weeks surfing Ulu and Padang with them. I've got the photos to prove it....somewhere! She was a great surfer in her time and I hope she's still ripping the hell out of it wherever she is these days. I seem to remember that she was from New Jersey....but I'm not a 100% on that.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Wonder how much our views have changed since this thread started?

surfresearch
Grommet

Re: surfing girlfriends/boyfriends

Post by surfresearch » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:46 am

JUDY TRIM
Mike Jennings on Coastalwatch recently noted the Judy's passing.
Some Judy stuff ...
After winning the 1968 NSW Championships at Wollongong, Dee Why's Judy Trim placed first at the Australian titles held in solid surf at Long Reef, Sydney.
Although qualifying for the 1968 World Championships in Peurto Rico, she did not compete due to a lack of suitable sponsorship.
Judy Trim placed third in the 1969 Australian Titles at Margaret River, WA, and first in the 1970 NSW and Australian Championships in Queensland.

Her contest success saw her join the Shane Gang in 1968, along with Russell Hughes, Ted Spencer, Butch Cooney, and Peter Cornish.
Shane Surfboards was one of the largest and progressive manufacturers in Brookvale at the time.

In 2005, Laurie McGinness, 1970s of Surfing World editor, recalled that Judy Trim was about the only girl surfer on the northern beaches from the mid-sixties through to the early seventies when the male dominated culture finally got to her.
Given her contest record and the performance level she achieved it's surprising how rarely she gets a mention in surfing history, but then again she pretty much despised the whole scene by the time she gave it away so I suppose she is happier to be forgotten.

Image Image Image

Mike Jennings also noted the passing of Coolangatta's Wayne Deane, and Michael Bennett reported the passing of John "Wheels" Williams in Honolulu.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:11 am

On a side note, I have a book by Laurie McInnes called Wildwater.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:06 pm

Why did she hate the scene?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes