This is not surf report....

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

dy_fo_life
regular

Post by dy_fo_life » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:42 am

the principle still applies, if you want to be a surf reporter, you have to have a decent look around and present a balanced report.
Sorry but where did you buy your copy of the principles of surf reporting. Was it where Johnny bought the book Truth and Honesty in Politics?
I mean seriously, do you want some kind of postings before midday?
You obviously sound like you could check it before the machine boots up so why bother with RS?
Are you a friend of Nats and his new age guide to surfing?
Are you a goat boater?
A clubbie?
One of those cats who swims all year round, every second Sundee?

HB
regular

Post by HB » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:04 am

marcus wrote:stuffed if i know how to fix the crowd solution besides spreading it out.
To fix the crowd solution all you have to do is shut down Realsurf.

Then it would go back to the good ole days when DY Point was empty, you could have Bower to yourself with just a couple of mates and waves would peel through North Narra unridden.

By the way, i think Narrabeen gets crowded because the Beach Boys mentioned it in their song Surfing Safari a few years back.

I know i'm taking the piss but i just find this topic unbelievable.

I found out just recently that a spot I surfed alone in South America about ten years ago is now full of Brazilians - nothing like it used to be. Same goes for a really famous left-hander in Mexico - it's a destination for back packers now!

BB, I hate it. I hate crowds. That's why i travel so much. But this crowd problem is all over the world, and it's just going to get worse.

And your complaint isn't about a secret spot - it's about one of the most well-known point breaks in the city with the largest surfing population on the planet.

More surfers equals more people in the water. And as time goes on you'll see more and more. More people at the point, more people at Freshie, more at Maroubra more everywhere.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

BB

Post by BB » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:10 am

How about someone putting up an actual argument? I mean no-one has attempted to justify what the site does in any realistic terms. Defending your dear old mate Don is all very well but you are really going to have to try a lot harder. Now dy_fo_life, at least it sounds like you might surf there sometimes but the answer to your question is "none of the above' I know Nat certainly but he was never a friend and I don't go for that "new age "Code Of The Surf" crap.

So the question becomes what are you? One of those little kids who surf the lefts in front of the stormwater outlet or one of the bodyboarders floating on the shoulder on small days at the point or maybe one of those mal riders who wobble around all weekend on the beachbreaks. Probably none of the above. So you see we could trade insults indefinitely which might be amusing but doesn't really move the issue along.

To make my point in the terms you want, surf reporting is an old and ignoble art and the issues of fairness used to be debated in rather more robust fashion just above the high tide mark when the unethical radio reporter got to meet and greet some of his fans, but times have changed and apparently thumping dick heads is illegal these days, which could be a good thing, so we have to resort to logic (with a little intimidation on the side for old time's sake!) Logic, facts, reason. Try them sometime!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:38 am

BB wrote:How about someone putting up an actual argument?
Because nobody gives a flying f**k, sunshine.

This was undoubtedly the most boring thread in history until Wanto livened it up with his crazy new equine companion. I reckon the challenge is on. What's next, midget triplets?

Meanwhile, all you slavish RealSurf followers who're heading out to the little known DY Point day after day under the impression that it's a good wave can all come surf Newport instead. Seriously! It's killer! Best surf spot on the northern beaches! Big carpark! Free pizza! Beginners and longboard riders welcome!

BB

Post by BB » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:49 am

Because nobody gives a flying f**k, sunshine.
So why do people keep replying? If it's so boring don't bother, but here's a little challenge for you Nicky. The next ten times that Newport peak is four to six foot and offshore (yeh I know it will take a year or so!) send Don half a dozen photos and a rave about how good it is and get him to post them on top of the report with your name attached...or do the same thing for some of the other spots up your way. I'm sure Don will take up the offer, I mean he never bothers going out there himself......so put up or shut up....now I can probably think of some demeaning little put down to attach to that but hey why bother.

Feeling cheerful are you this morning. I know the surf is shit but hey it will get better, cheer up mate!

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:05 am

Hi BB......... still at it ah ..........ever thought that your little bitch may be insignificant to the troubles of the world that exist out side of the boundaries of DY.

Grow up boy........... if this is you biggest problem in life..... man I'll let you a little secert......... you got it good in comparison to the other 88% of the ppl on this planet.

Use that brain of yours and give it some thought.

BB

Post by BB » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:15 am

Well Johnno you tell me how to feed the world, create world peace, end disease or whatever you had in mind while sitting at my computer in between more productive activities and I'll join in......until then I've got my teeth into this little, readily solvable problem. Think global....act local.....I think I'm acting local!

maxi
charger

Post by maxi » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:20 am

[quote="BB"]or maybe one of those mal riders who wobble around all weekend on the beachbreaks. quote]

Hey, careful where you go with that. You've no idea how hard it is to perfect that wobble ....

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:33 am

BB ................I can only feel really sorry for you .

I only hope one day you may see light ....................bye.

BB

Post by BB » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:42 am

Love the pony wanto, it reprersents all the things I believe in, honesty, integrity, purity of spirit and most of all...a free ride.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:49 am

yawn

BB

Post by BB » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:27 am

Yeh I'm over it......for a while!

Laurie McGinness
regular

Post by Laurie McGinness » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:19 pm

A bit of advice please? Is there some secret to logging in? I have had to try about ten times. Am I missing something?
Anyway I saw this thread earlier in the week and registered so as I could comment on it, but it's taken quite a while to get here and it looks like I might have missed the bus.
In brief, I think BB has a point about Realsurf's coverage. I haven't used the site enough to be completely sure but it does seem to have more about Dee Why than anywhere else. I wouldn't support hassling Don but it seems there's a case to answer and it strikes me as a little odd that he hasn't logged in and stated his case given the fairly vitriolic criticism that has been made.