This is not surf report....

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

unmployed
Grommet

Post by unmployed » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:14 pm

if your a good enough surfer and a big enough local as you say you are, whats a couple of extra ppl going to do? i read the site evry day and have never had any intention of surfing DY..... and the surf cam on coastal watch of PB, i couldnt be more pleased and i surf there all the time

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:10 pm

infectious wrote:i think its good if dons report makes everyone go to dee why, because no one who doesnt live there cares about it and anyone with half a surfers brain would know that if dee why's good then theres a dozen better spots within half an hour drive with less people on them!! keep up the good work don, love it!!
classic post. cept fer that double negative.

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:47 pm

BB wrote:...do a day to day count of photos of DY vs photos or text length of Narrabeen and what about the rest of the beaches? Pretty rare to see the kind of line up or action shots we see of DY in anything like the quantity. I have been watching this site fairly closely for quite a while now and anyone who thinks it covers the surfing conditions on the northern beaches fairly is either blind or ignorant...it doesn't, it hasn't and it never will.
Don used to post photos of Collaroy/Narrabeen when he lived round there.
This nails the attitude perfectly.......the surf reporter looks out his window and takes a shot......as I've said before he needs to get off his bum and do a Palm Beach to Manly run at first light....if he isn't prepared to do that he shouldn't be in the surf reporting business!
Well this website has been live for nearly 10 years now, so I don't see how you can jump on here now and make these claims. I think mobile phones are much worse for attracting crowds than internet reports.

I have managed to have a couple of surfs at DY in the last few months without large numbers of surfers in the water. As they say, its all about timing :wink:

Now, keeping in mind that this website basically operates in a not-for-profit manner and relies heavily upon the reporters who donate their time & effort in order to provide people like you & me with semi-reliable surf reports, I think its a bit rich of you to come on here & demand the owner of this website (who still has to work another job to keep all this going) to bow to your wishes. If you don't like it, dont log on or set up your own website as I suggested earlier.

I cannot think of any reporter (be it internet or radio) or website that gives complete up to date coverage of every beach on the north shore. Maybe you could set that up & let us know how much time, effort & money it requires, because AFAIK, no-one except a retired multi millionaire could afford to provide the kind of service you are requesting.

snakes

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:03 pm

Hi BB ...........Just back from the medicine cupboard and this might help

:D

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:13 pm

How quick down Rosehill straight ?

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:42 pm

kimmy wrote:Look I don't wish to be rude, but its tail seems to rotate into its bottom, a bit like a corkscrew. Is this healthy? Or is it just how it gets its wings to flap?

Apart from this slightly disturbing feature, it is a very lovely pony indeed.
haha, and if you look closley, you can see a suspicious looking white fluid dripping out

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:11 am

on one hand i can see bb's point about how the pics and focus of dons main overveiw seem focused on dy.
on the other i can see that don is trying to lead by example with in depth reports.
maybe if we had more reporters from all over the place it would be a different story, stuffed if i know how to fix the crowd solution besides spreading it out.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:21 am

i think realsurf should have their normal set up + more detailed reports and pictures for all the main beaches ie dy, long reef, freshie, mona manly ect

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:23 am

ohh by the way BB, u can drop in on don if u want :roll: , although he hasmore freinds that can drop in on u 8)

BB

Post by BB » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:27 am

Yeh I can see some problems with the drop in programme, for a start how is anyone ever going to be sitting wider than him? So it may need a rethink...but don't worry momo I've been dealing with drop ins all my life and I have some pretty good antidotes.
this website basically operates in a not-for-profit manner and relies heavily upon the reporters who donate their time & effort in order to provide people like you & me with semi-reliable surf reports, I think its a bit rich of you to come on here & demand the owner of this website (who still has to work another job to keep all this going) to bow to your wishes.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a thread a little while ago that revealed not-for-profit didn't exclude Don taking a fairly significant wage? Personally I couldn't care less if he makes any money or not, the principle still applies, if you want to be a surf reporter, you have to have a decent look around and present a balanced report.

As for being a bit rich....if someone's dog shits in my front yard that's my business....this site is shitting in my yard!

Oh and I love the "semi-reliable" it's like being a bit preganant!