This is not surf report....

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:11 pm

i still think its a good idea if don makes a general comment about the conditions that stays up the top, and then a separate report about dy that drifts down the page like other reports. If you don't agree with me, well then thats fine.

HB
regular

Post by HB » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:03 am

BB, I think you're having yourself on mate.

Have you seen how packed Bower gets these days - and there's never any photos of it. It's got nothing to do with Realsurf, it's a way of life now in Sydney.

People see there's swell and they head to the places they reckon will be working.

I've still never met a northern beaches surfer who drives directly to a break without checking anything in between. If you get to your destinantion and you saw something bigger/cleaner/less crowded beforehand you do a u-turn and head back to it.

And one other thing. When it's big there a three main places people check - get ready peoples, I'm going to blow some big secrets here - Bower, DY Point and the Collaroy area.

Everyone knows this, always has.

If you see a rideable wave on the way somehwere else, as I said, then you'll probably beat the crowds and head out there.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

BB

Post by BB » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:06 am

What this site has done is no different to the median that a good friend I once knew did, so to take a shot at the ppl that run this site, is no different than taken a shot at him.

I will give the censors something to work on should you wish to do a gibberish reply.

I will give you what Sas's and Co would have given............. grommet

Jimmy or Ken Johnno? Both dead now, or maybe you're thinking of Cavemen, still around, a nice fellow, or Johnox, lost somewhere or Jeff Bremer similarly, or Harry hotdog, on the Gold Coast these days, like Mumbles...... shall I list the other hundred or so people I've surfed DY with over the years? The English boys, the Dickos, Brett and Shane, Roy, Justin, Scott, I could go on for quite a while!
So come on down Johnno, I'm still out the point, you won't have any trouble finding me 'cos I'll be saying exactly what I've been saying here....Don needs to lift his game....... and until he does I'll keep saying it. I couldn't give a siht if the rest of the people on the site disagree with me, I've been around long enough and watched carefully enough to know that Realsurf makes a difference to the crowd.....I mean if it didn't why would it exist, to give Don something to do between breakfast and the first coffee break of the day?

More to the point what exactly did your good friend do? Take photos of the point, well I'll agree that the SW focus on DY in the seventies increased the crowd.......we had the whole Narrabeen crew out there trying to get their photos taken for a few seasons.......but what came out of that was full on red hot surfing......Don's site just attracts the geeks and freaks who can't think for themselves....a different thing I think.

And exactly what are you going to do to me....in my memory neither Jimmy nor Ken were very big on threats of violence, if it was necessary they just did it.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:51 am

First up BB have always respected a person that lived and surfed there and your little bitch here still won't change that and I won't go in to details of the ppl I once knew.

BB wrote: well I'll agree that the SW focus on DY in the seventies increased the crowd.......we had the whole Narrabeen crew out there trying to get their photos taken for a few seasons.......but what came out of that was full on red hot surfing......Don's site just attracts the geeks and freaks who can't think for themselves....a different thing I think.
It wasn't just a few seassons and for every one high profile you had out in the water there was another 10, would be could be's, hoards have been turning up there for decades now...........so whats so different now, always had the freaks, geeks,and the goat boat invasion.

The place has had a high profile for a long time, if your finding trouble surfing there.........F****** MOVE................... simple!

Its not just DY that has photos taken of it everyday posted on the net and haven't heard any of the Narra crew crying!

Seen it happen here to..... Yeah numbers have grown here ten fold over the last few years lot of born again kooks.........but thats life except it, but no need take you frustrations out on someone that is maintaining the profile of the place that was put in motion years ago.

So don't bitch about it ............as you are only belittling the some very hard men that once lived and surfed there before you.

BB

Post by BB » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:02 am

As I said before if he was doing this at Narrabeen or Maroubra he wouldn't be game to paddle out......go back two weeks perfect Narrabeen, good Dee Why......heaps of photos of the point nothing of Narrabeen most days...or of most of the other spots that were going off in that swell. No-one has yet has tried to justify that. You all just say "that's the way it is"......and no bitching from the Narrabeen crew, what a joke, talk to some of them mate, they'll tell you what they think of the coastwatch cam...why do you think it goes down all the time?

...and I don't see how my comments disrespect those I listed, there was only one name on that list I wouldn't regard as a friend and that had nothing to do with events in the water, I've surfed with all those people more times than you've had hot dinners Johnno!

dy_fo_life
regular

Post by dy_fo_life » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:31 am

BB while your at it may you also remove the medium density high rise metropolis that is housing half your problem. You see for as long as I can recall-much longer than the internet- there has always been oceanic congestion from the point to the pole. It has always been a consistent stretch and protected from the southerly so really I doubt that Don's postings have changed the situation that much.
Seriuosly there are waves that are never crowded all over the Northern beaches that with a little effort and leaving your comfort zone _the point_ you may realise that the poor suckers who surf with the pack like a flock of wet sheep really are missing the best waves_even if not viewed on the net.
Then again some people don't use information as much as take direction from realsurf i.e if I know dy is working then i can figure at least three other spots that will have decent waves and may or may not be less crowded, obviously some people don't have all the pieces and just drive, catch a bus, or whatever straight down to dy and jump on in with out the thought that smewhere else may be working?
So really it is reducating users to take a ticket and once the ride is full then move along?

BB

Post by BB » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:18 pm

It seems most of the contributors to this thread have a major problem.....they keep arguing against the things they say I said but which I didn't....I mean for fcuks sake DYis already crowded, well there's a brilliant observation...as if I hadn't noticed...and of course I'd never noticed those rows of home units I walk by everyday......

If anythng these points strengthen my case, Dee Why is already crowded, it doesn't need to be the star of Realsurf! I know a lot of kids who live in Warringah but not on the beaches (family connections etc)....they have to plan their surf trip either by bus or by being dropped by a parent.....they look at Realsurf and go hey DY's good, let's go. There's no looking around and most of them don't have the experience to pick where else is good...so there is one group of Realsurf clients brought to DY, then as I said before there are the geeks and freaks with so little experience and knowledge that they too just work straight from the site, then there are the people who might be experienced but despite what some have said, it's not that easy to pick exactly which swells are good for the point, yeh you can get it roughly from the general conditions but those little hard to predict variations are the difference between fun and fantastic but never mind, good old Don will tell the whole world as soon as there is anything approaching a decent set.........and so on and so forth.

I note no-one has bothered to address the logical inconsistency of running a surf reporting site which doesn't make any difference to where people surf......which is what Don and most of those on this thread seem to think is happening....... brain busting stuff isn't it!

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:28 pm

BB............... I left over 15 years ago because of crowds.

How many more units have been built in that time :?:

How many more ppl have mobile phones today..........remember when mobiles first went onto the market they retailed for $775 each, what do they cost today and they are the biggest :twisted: of all.

Happens a lot up here as well and a lot more noticeable, one guys checking it out then 20 min later might have 5 or 6 cars turn up from outside the area, and that didn't happen 5 years ago.

So you could have just say 4 or 5 up in the car park with phones and times that by say 5 friends each.................. you got a crowd.

More ppl surf today and regardless of this site you will have more tomorrow and the day after that and so on.

Whats the population of Sydney, around 4 million when I left it was around 2 million, lot of ppl in one place with the same number of surf spots.

Boogie boards was in its infancy back then not the main stream it is now
so don't bitch about crowds its a fact of life just like the sun coming up each morning.

And don't tell me you are gullible enough to think that if this site stopped posting photo's of the point it wouldn't get crowded.

BB I would think you to be a little bit more intelligent than that.

BB

Post by BB » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:44 pm

.....not really the point though is it? Yes it's crowded, so let's take a reasonable approach and not make it more crowded. Try a little quiz

Realsurf does not accurately and fairly cover surfing conditons on the northern beaches ......agree or disagree?

Realsurf attracts people to DY who would not otherwise come......agree or disagree?

If you agreed to both

Are these things related ......agree or disagree?

I think I've got a point and I'm probably not going to stop bitching about it, here or in the water, until it changes. This has been pissing me off for a couple of years now and hey it feels good to get it off my chest so I'm staying with it.

Catch a few uncrowded ones for me mate....good to know some Dee Why graduates are still out there ripping it up.

infectious
regular

Post by infectious » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:55 pm

i think its good if dons report makes everyone go to dee why, because no one who doesnt live there cares about it and anyone with half a surfers brain would know that if dee why's good then theres a dozen better spots within half an hour drive with less people on them!! keep up the good work don, love it!!
"I wanna be on you"

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:57 pm

BB wrote:
More to the point what exactly did your good friend do? Take photos of the point, well I'll agree that the SW focus on DY in the seventies increased the crowd.......we had the whole Narrabeen crew out there trying to get their photos taken for a few seasons.......but what came out of that was full on red hot surfing......Don's site just attracts the geeks and freaks who can't think for themselves....a different thing I think.
What about the article in the current issue of Tracks?

Maybe we should send a lynch mob round to their HQ & start kneecapping?

snakes

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:11 pm

BB wrote:As I said before if he was doing this at Narrabeen or Maroubra he wouldn't be game to paddle out......go back two weeks perfect Narrabeen, good Dee Why......heaps of photos of the point nothing of Narrabeen most days...or of most of the other spots that were going off in that swell. No-one has yet has tried to justify that. You all just say "that's the way it is"......and no bitching from the Narrabeen crew, what a joke, talk to some of them mate, they'll tell you what they think of the coastwatch cam...why do you think it goes down all the time?

...and I don't see how my comments disrespect those I listed, there was only one name on that list I wouldn't regard as a friend and that had nothing to do with events in the water, I've surfed with all those people more times than you've had hot dinners Johnno!
Ah BB, Don used to post photos of Collaroy/Narrabeen when he lived round there. Secondly, just in case you hadn't noticed there is a Narrabeen report with photos posted nearly every day!

Sorry mate, but as much as I agree with you having a go about crowds at DY, your argument is full of holes.

snakes

BB

Post by BB » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:22 pm

...do a day to day count of photos of DY vs photos or text length of Narrabeen and what about the rest of the beaches? Pretty rare to see the kind of line up or action shots we see of DY in anything like the quantity. I have been watching this site fairly closely for quite a while now and anyone who thinks it covers the surfing conditions on the northern beaches fairly is either blind or ignorant...it doesn't, it hasn't and it never will.
Don used to post photos of Collaroy/Narrabeen when he lived round there.
This nails the attitude perfectly.......the surf reporter looks out his window and takes a shot......as I've said before he needs to get off his bum and do a Palm Beach to Manly run at first light....if he isn't prepared to do that he shouldn't be in the surf reporting business!

infectious
regular

Post by infectious » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:05 pm

*edited* if you dont like it dont come here, noones forcing you to look!! i appreciate the site as im fairly sure plenty of others do!! i know it wont fix the problem, but you can bury your head in the sand... dee why's crowded anyway, deal with it!! i bet youre the kind of guy who doesnt wave when you let him in in traffic!! stop whinging!!
Last edited by infectious on Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I wanna be on you"

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:08 pm

infectious wrote:if you dont like it dont come here, noones forcing you to look!!
thats not gonna fix the problem that BB see's.
infectious wrote: i bet youre the kind of guy who doesnt wave when you let him in in traffic!! stop whinging!!
:lol: i hate those people