This is not surf report....

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:12 pm

Grow a brain, BB. Sexual reproduction - ie, where you have two sexes, they mix DNA and create an offspring - was, to understate things somewhat, a pretty major step on the evolutionary ladder. It wasn't intended as comment on your sex life, which I fervently hope is rich, fulfilling and as regular as a jackhammer banging a footpath.

OK, now we get to point two. You still haven't quite managed to drop the bluster and get to the point. Assuming there is one. So let me cut through the thicket of your bullshit: at the core of what you're attempting to say is that you're a hard core local, you and your so called mates are jealous / annoyed / envious because you think that the internet (oh, if you want more info about sexual reproduction, the internet's a good, if somewhat misleading, place to start) has caused lots and lots more people to come to your secret spot. Or that someone is making money out of your gloriously pure sport. We've heard this one a few times before, too, and knowing your heart-felt feelings about how you've been royally shafted by the surfing industry/the thruster/anything that happened after 1915, then I'm guessing it's probably one of your underlying arguments.

The problem is that these are such a tired arguments, Beebs. You have no empirical evidence for crowd numbers. No one makes any money. In fact, you've got nothing except a big mouth, a fast keyboard and a certain single-mindedness. Great attributes - for a forum hard core or a real estate salesman.

As I said to our boogie boarding friend - Don has his email on the front page. If you're such a man, why don't ya email him and tell him direct instead of grumbling around in here.

Still, this is great sport,

with Darwin in mind,

Col.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:19 pm

wanto wrote:
macca202 wrote:and i forgot to say this before, but when was i making an ultimatum?
macca he wasn't talking to you
think first, type later
do what i did and RE-READ what collnarra said!!!!!
think first, and say nothing :lol:

filthbarrel
regular

Post by filthbarrel » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:29 pm

And what about the coastalwatch cams? How come they escape the wrath of BB? Amd not to mention buoyweather.com. And that damn baliwaves site tells me there was 70 blokes out at Kuta reef yesterday. Damn. I thought Dee Why and Kuta Reef were secrets.

maxi
charger

Post by maxi » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:38 pm

Aaah Filthbarrel .... why did you mention Dee Why!!? I thought it was a given that no-one would so brazenly mention the name of those last remaining secret spots in Sydney. Bugger! Now everyone will be down there.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:57 pm

maxi wrote:I still think it's a kak that anyone in Sydney can feel they can still claim a degree of ownership at any beach break.
whats your point?

I don't think some of you guys understand the point here.
There is a huge focus on DY on this website. Realsurf.com, you may aswell call it realDY.com

Have a look at this: http://www.realsurf.com/20050617/
How many extra people would have swarmed down to dy JUST because of those pics?
You don't need any proof for the effect of something like that. Don doesn't always take sic closeup shots like that, so im not complaining, i enjoyed those pics, but you could imagine what it would be like if that was done every day.....

p.s. im not biased, i live 25mins from DY.
Last edited by macca202 on Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxi
charger

Post by maxi » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:03 pm

My point is that there is a continual drone of complaint about too many people "at my break". What are we supposed to do if we're not 'locals' anywhere?

maxi
charger

Post by maxi » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:09 pm

And macca - what should the site contain? Only pics of those days when there is nothing going on? Maybe anywhere that is going off shouldn't be able to be included. That way everyone will be happy and Surf Reports can be totally meaningless.

BB

Post by BB » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:38 pm

Look collnarra now you appear to have overcome your personal sexual obsessions I'll try and boil it down to words of one syllable so you can actually get the point, though the way you have been dodging it so far does not fill me with confidence that you actually possess the logical capacity to link cause and effect.

There are two internet sites that I know of that regularly report on the northern beaches, one SurfIT does a pretty professional job. They cover every beach every day and they don't give away everything that is going on. People going to that site pick the locations from the thumbnails that they think might be good, check them out and presumably plan their movements accordingly. The other, Realsurf, is incredibly unprofessional, it rarely covers more than a few locations and focuses heavily on Dee Why. People using Realsurf are inundated with information and photos of Dee Why, most other places rate nothing more than a distant photo or two and a rough description of the am conditions.

Now on any one day the users of Realsurf may or may not end up surfing Dee Why but anyone who uses it regularly, particularly those at the kook end of the spectrum who know no better, is going to check it out frequently.......thus more surfers in the water at any given time, particularly weekends. It seems to me and many others that I speak to, that this is inappropriate. If you're going to run a surf report site the least that can be expected is that you get off your bum and have a decent look around.......Don doesn't and the other reporters do not fill the gap.

Now given your apparent difficulties with comprehension collnarra I'll get it down to words of one syllable instead.

Man put waves on screen. Mens look. Mens come. Surf waves on screen.

Got it? No?

It has nothing to do with "secret" it has nothing to do with the industry, it has nothing to do with anything much except one man's inability to run an ethical surf reporting operation and the increasing hostility that is provoking amongst a significant segment of the local surfing population.

Now collnarra, how many people do you know who regularly surf Dee Why........I think I'll probably beat you there, 'cos I know just about every face at first rock and a large percentage of names to go with it, so mate when it comes to Narrabeen you can tell me what you know, when it comes to Dee Why, leave it to the locals eh?

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:58 pm

Even I understood that BB.

Rather than Don being viewed as unprofessional or unethical, maybe if the other reporters could put in as much effort in their coverage of their designated spots then the "problem" would be shared across a broader spectrum of breaks.

So long as Barry maintains a low profile. :wink:

maxi
charger

Post by maxi » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:31 pm

BB, I am utterly astounded how Realsurf can be described as 'incredibly unprofessional' due to the fact it covers only a few locations and has too much emphassis on Dee Why. You must think aquabumps is almost criminal - given that it only covers Bondi (apart from isolated reference to one or two other locations). Do you really think that a few extra photos brings the hoards of people every day? And, do you really think we'd not be able to work out if DY was likely to be good based on a few basic facts like swell size, direction, interval, wind direction and tides? And when it is soooo good I'm sure you and your macho pals at first rock will be able to make any imposters feel most unwelcome.

Ease up - Sydney's getting bigger each day and more people are finding out that heading out for a surf remains one of the essential experiences we can have on this planet. You don't own it ... even if you think you do!

maxi
charger

Post by maxi » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:33 pm

.... BTW the only reason why aquabumps could be considered unprofessional is because it is a surf report for Bondi. That's only marginally more meaningful than a surf report for Surry Hills.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Re: This is not surf report....

Post by Johnno » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:57 pm

BB wrote:......it's a royal pain in the asre....
BB chose your words carefully before your next reply................

What this site has done is no different to the median that a good friend I once knew did, so to take a shot at the ppl that run this site, is no different than taken a shot at him.

I will give the censors something to work on should you wish to do a gibberish reply.

I will give you what Sas's and Co would have given............. grommet :!:
Last edited by Johnno on Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:26 pm

Look BB, I think you have a fair point, but you are going about it the wrong way. Freedom of speech is one thing, but making threats to the owner of a private website is another.

Don can put up whatever he wants - it's his website, why not start your own website focusing on all the other beaches on the peninsula. In fact, heres a great idea....

1./ take photos of some random beach/reef when its going off its marbles.
2./ start your own surfing website
3./ On the days that DY is going off, post said photos of random spot going off & report that DY is shit.

Problem solved - you can thank me for it later :wink:

snakes

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:46 pm

BB wrote:
Man put waves on screen. Mens look. Mens come. Surf waves on screen.

Got it? No?

It has nothing to do with "secret" it has nothing to do with the industry, it has nothing to do with anything much except one man's inability to run an ethical surf reporting operation and the increasing hostility that is provoking amongst a significant segment of the local surfing population.

Now collnarra, how many people do you know who regularly surf Dee Why........I think I'll probably beat you there, 'cos I know just about every face at first rock and a large percentage of names to go with it, so mate when it comes to Narrabeen you can tell me what you know, when it comes to Dee Why, leave it to the locals eh?
Hi Beebs,

edit - I removed the crap that I wrote. I was being too much of a smartarse and it wasn't really appropriate mod behaviour. Sorry all. Enjoy the discussion.

Col.
Last edited by collnarra on Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:27 pm

Think I might have surfed DY once in my life and can't really see my repeating the experience. Don't matter, if you can't tell by and large what the rest of the northern beaches is doing by checking out the size, swell direction, surface conditions etc by one of Don's point photos then God help you.