cold places to surf

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Clif
barnacle

cold places to surf

Post by Clif » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:54 am

prety brisk in syd, today SO

what's coldest places you crew been surfing.

went to norway and denmark. bloody chilly and it was sept oct nov.

4/5mm hoods and booties. snow on beach. local crew laughing at me. they wearing 3/4 i think.

went surfing in Sweden in jan. lasted 30 min. desperado stuff for 3 ft wind slop rights off Asa breakwall. lol.

vicco was cold too but no snow when getting out. slipping up icy rocks is dangerous and when you can't feel your legs things are going bad. legs felt like tree trunks - couldn't feel a damn thing.

reckon tassie would shrivel ya up.

BB

Post by BB » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:18 am

I've surfed Bells in winter that was enough for me, thse days I go where it's warmer than home! I met a bloke who used to surf in the North Sea on the east coast of Scotland.......no gulf stream, probably similar temps to where you were clif but he said there were some really good reefs!

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:30 am

Gave me a shiver just thinking about it......Burrrrrrrrrrrrr :shock:

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:35 am

tasmania in summer ... air temperature of 35, water temperature of 12 ... try putting on a 3/4 steamer in 35 degree heat ... by the time you get to the water you are almost dying of heat exhaustion ... then you hit the water & almost freeze to death.
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:36 am

norway gets gulf stream. and while many people dont' know it, surfing in norway is amazing. huge glaciers and fjords . waves travel down the very very deep fjords into wierd nook and crannies so that you'll be surfing in places where you seem surrounded by land. very very few surfers and the coastline is largely huge cliffs and plenty of reef breaks as yet unsurfed. surf by yourself on pine covered beaches.

and for that i'll get cold. in a two hour sesh at a pointbreak that resembles burleigh (grew up surfing burls so know what it gets like), cept longer, i caught dozens and dozens of long stalling style barrels, all back foot and arm dragging. lucky, cause i couldn't feel my feet to turn. lol. few birds, a nazi bunker with fire going, manned by lovely norwegian and swedish friends ;).

cold can be good wanto. (but i get your point, wasn't meant to be a surf-trip, just ended up that way - 6-8 ft for two weeks. what's a man supposed to do?:))

a friend went to chile and said it was psycho. colder than north sea!!

how's the footage in litmus of joel parkinson all wrapped up. big surf too! ireland i think.

Southozzie
regular

Post by Southozzie » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:38 am

Did anyone see that show last night. Dunno what channel, but they were talking about inventions. Anyway some dude invented a wetsuit which keeps you much warmer out in the surf.
The wetsuits fitted with pockets on either side of your kidneys and 2 more a bit higher up. What you do is put these little heat packs in there which have some chemical. then before u head out u push a button on the heat packs and it releases a chemical which makes them go really warm.

Looked good and costs around $500 when it hits stores

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:42 am

Southozzie wrote:Did anyone see that show last night. Dunno what channel, but they were talking about inventions. Anyway some dude invented a wetsuit which keeps you much warmer out in the surf.
The wetsuits fitted with pockets on either side of your kidneys and 2 more a bit higher up. What you do is put these little heat packs in there which have some chemical. then before u head out u push a button on the heat packs and it releases a chemical which makes them go really warm.

Looked good and costs around $500 when it hits stores
not a bad idea for colder waters
soon they'll have suncreen dispensers or maybe an expresso machine built in

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:52 am

bring on the espresso machine macca. flat white to rev the alertness.

as for southozzies suggestion ... that sounds sick! ring it on. bloody great idea. hoods are the best tho. amazing how much warmer you are.

BB

Post by BB » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:57 am

25% of heat loss is through the head! Helmets are great in cold conditions 40 minutes to an hour longer in Sydney type conditions, more if it's windy! Look like a geek but who cares.

whitey
regular

Post by whitey » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:35 pm

they would stop those headaches you get when you surf.. they kill you...thats the time when you know its winter, when it is incredibly painfull to paddle out...
.Whitey.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:41 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:I thought it was more than 25%?
i think its like 30% (although i have heard 70% in the past), but ive thought about it before, and wouldn't the majority of that figure be from the heating escaping in your breath? Which means that covering your head may not be saving as much heat as you think. Maybe there are just certain heat receptors in your head so it is just more comfortable to have your head covered up....

i did a google and the only thing i found out was that a major reason for keeping the head warm is to keep the blood around the brain warm so it can function properly.

Last edited by macca202 on Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:43 pm

a major reason for keeping the head warm is to keep the blood around the brain warm so it can function properly.
pretty important that tho, hey macca? :wink:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:03 pm

"Southaussie"

That new wetsuit (called a Hotsuit) was on the "New Inventors" on the ABC last night. It won.

It was modelled by Barton Lynch. The developer comes from around Bells so obviously needs it down there.

The heat packs can be reactivated multiple times, usually after paddling out the back while waiting for the next wave.

It looks like a fantastic idea, even at $500.

You can call the ABC to register the "Viewers Choice" award for this idea if you want.

PS: The major loss of heat from the body occurs from the top of the head, fingers and toes.

Deadbolt
Local

Post by Deadbolt » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:26 pm

Yeah the guy that invented that Wetsuit is from Torquay. There was an article in the local paper about it the other day, and it looks awesome. He said it took him years to perfect.

It will earn him a mint.

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:56 pm

Ah'd love to surf Ireland - they get some crazy swells from what I've seen

Agro
regular

Post by Agro » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:03 pm

I surfed in Devon, :lol: :lol: Cornwall, UK on March 1st a few years back.
Water temp was 8 degrees C.

Started out with the works on i.e. 3/4, hood, boots and gloves however found the hood too claustrophobic so decided to take it off, result.................unbelievably painful ice-cream headaches every time I duck dived. I reckon if you duck dived more than 5 waves in a row you'd have to do yourself some long term damage.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:19 pm

Clif wrote:norway gets gulf stream. and while many people dont' know it, surfing in norway is amazing. huge glaciers and fjords . waves travel down the very very deep fjords into wierd nook and crannies so that you'll be surfing in places where you seem surrounded by land. very very few surfers and the coastline is largely huge cliffs and plenty of reef breaks as yet unsurfed. surf by yourself on pine covered beaches.

and for that i'll get cold. in a two hour sesh at a pointbreak that resembles burleigh (grew up surfing burls so know what it gets like), cept longer, i caught dozens and dozens of long stalling style barrels, all back foot and arm dragging. lucky, cause i couldn't feel my feet to turn. lol. few birds, a nazi bunker with fire going, manned by lovely norwegian and swedish friends ;).

cold can be good wanto. (but i get your point, wasn't meant to be a surf-trip, just ended up that way - 6-8 ft for two weeks. what's a man supposed to do?:))
That sounds sick!!! I'm going!!!