Just what are "Locals"

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

james
regular

Post by james » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:43 am

hey johnno can i ask??? can u still even snap or r u on the 10ft mals??? is 12 years your number cos thats how long U have been there for???

clinker
Grommet

Post by clinker » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:24 pm

schnorky wrote:Im a local because I surf lots, my family surf lots and I'm mostly too busy to surf anywhere else. If I moved to another beach, I'd be a local there in no time.
As a local, I dont need to drop in....I know what is necessary to get a wave.
As a local, I know where the best food is.
As a local, I am a member of the boardriders but dont necessarily go in comps.
As a local, I buy nearly all my surf stuff from the local boardshop because I can get a better deal there than any specials
I live 2kms from the beach, I've worked hard for 30 years but integrity/smartz has kept me from getting closer. Damn that integrity.
73's and 88's
Sounds about right to me.

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:09 pm

locals are the loser *** who drop in on ya paddle inside of ya are at the beach 24/7 but never in the water and when they are there total kooks who really give me the shits.1 tried 2 fight me i walked up to him and all he could say was wait till my mates some. fight your own fight you pussies. DY locals are cocks and pussies who tried to start me i turned around with about 5 other people to there 15 and then they talked big but then backeddwon when they saw we wanna fight

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:24 pm

nothing like a little surf rage :evil: :lol:

Jeb Bush

Post by Jeb Bush » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:11 pm

All I know is there's a shitload of 'em everywhere these days.

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:53 pm

Locals are patriotic Aussies... but view people from outside a circle smaller than the one on the map at an RSL club as outsiders. Time to look outside the circle, guys!

You live in Australia and you surf- you are a local. Drop ins and other excuses for lame behaviour masquerading as localism is like chimps fighting for the last banana...

I think chimps are funny. Locals that act like chimps are not.

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:37 pm

I like to apply the bitch/slut moral to this situation

For those that have never heard it a slut is someone who sleeps with everyone, a bitch is someone who sleeps with everyone but you.

snakes

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:46 pm

depends on the chick I guess :roll:

snakes

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:02 pm

if you're not a local you have to be humble and let people have the waves they want.
Can't agree BB. Try that at Maroubra and you won't get a wave.

Respectful yes, but if you think I am going to sit on my board and let you have a wave when I am clearly in a better position than you, you are kidding!

At Maroubra there are so many different surfers I don't recognise most of the faces out there. I've been going there for long enough now to be called a local, well beyond even Johnno's standards.

If I come to your beach I'm not gonna sit on your shoulder and hassle you but I'm not going to give you waves that the ocean sends in with my name on it.
..I mean how arrogant to turn up at a major surf spot and think you have as much right to a wave as the people who surf it all the time...
That would be almost as arrogant as someone thinking they own a beach, or a wave, or an idea, or a breath!

You sound like an angry young man BB, which I have no problem with, but aren't you a little old for that now?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.