20 Years.. is anyone really surprised?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

navy_speed_shop

20 Years.. is anyone really surprised?

Post by navy_speed_shop » Fri May 27, 2005 2:07 pm

So the verdict just got handed down to schappelle, 20 years and a decent fine. is anyone really surprised at the verdict? perhaps that if the media didnt do its thing and turn the case into such a circus it might have been different... but then again maybe not...

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri May 27, 2005 2:19 pm

Have seen a bit on the box and listened to a bit of talkback on the radio.

Why does everyone think she is innocent?

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri May 27, 2005 2:27 pm

wanto wrote:couldn't believe the frigging media circus outside afterwards. those ppl are lower than dogs.
It's funny how, after princess diana died, everyone turned on "the media" and said how it had hounded her to death. Yet before she died those same people were the ones that couldn't get enough Diana images, scuttlebutt and gossip.

Same goes for Corby. Those film crews are there because people want to see and hear what went on. They're not creating demand, they're meeting it.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri May 27, 2005 2:33 pm

No the verdict was no surprise.

Bro, I'm not sure she is innocent, but I'm pretty sure the investigation that preceeded the trial, and much of the trial itself, was amateur hour.

I'm all Corbied out I'm afraid. I won't be watching the news tonight, and I definitely won't be watching channel 9.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri May 27, 2005 2:34 pm

And how many of us will watch Today Tonight this evening? And buy the Daily Telegraph tomorrow?

The Schapelle media bombing is at least partly an unspoken conspiracy between those lower-than-dog media pack members and millions of helplessly prurient Australians, ensnared by their prejudices, their mild lusts, their vague concerns. What actually happened ... well, hell, it's almost beside the point ... But you can imagine it, can't you, sometime waaay down the track, there will be an admission from somebody about that bag of dope and how it got there. The truth will be boring, kind of stupid; some minds will be put to rest; a lot of people will feel a bit odd about it, like they can't recall why they felt so fascinated by it all at the time. Perhaps they will even feel a twinge of guilt at the memory of their prurience. Like the Lindy Chamberlain case does now, it will all seem so long ago.

Unless of course you happen to be Schapelle Corby.

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Fri May 27, 2005 2:44 pm

I'm not sure if she did it or not but I think the whole defence was pretty lame... If it was an Indo in Australia saying yeah it's my bag but not my dope , someone must of put it there , I know most of us would say Yeah Yeah sure mate

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri May 27, 2005 3:11 pm

Goals are full of innocent ppl.

Little D
regular

Post by Little D » Fri May 27, 2005 3:14 pm

being forced to listen to bloody Today FM at work.

should hear all of the punters ringing up saying 'oh, she was innocent! it's wrong!.....' etc etc.

the judges explained that she couldnt come up with an answer as to who owned the drugs, who put them there etc. if you cant do that in a Balinese court where you are guilty until proven innocent, the judges arent gonna buy it.

yes i feel sorry for her and support her all the way but still.........
just some thoughts

filthbarrel
regular

20 YEARS

Post by filthbarrel » Fri May 27, 2005 3:19 pm

A few questions remain in my mind.

1. Why didn't she actually feel that lumpy pillow inside the lid bag? That's like a pillow full of wet towels and would have significantly changed the shape of the bag?

2. Why wasn't dope DNA'd to determine origin -they could have even nailed the state of origin of pot.

3. Why hasn't the media, except SMH correspondent, pointed out that filthy buds go for an absolute primo dollar on the Bukit and in town. Like much more than what you can score the filth for here.

4. What about Mercedes husband? Not a cowboy? MMmmmmm!

5. Look, at the end of the day, 20 yrs for pot is stupid. But I am not convinced either way of guilt or innocence - in Oz, that would mean let her go.But Indo aint Oz.

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Fri May 27, 2005 3:19 pm

Forget the media. Forget the frenzy.

What about Schappelle? This is her LIFE we are talking about here.

There seems to be a lot of support for her innocence. What if she IS innocent?

What this sentence means is almost impossible to comprehend. She is sentenced to live in the equivalent of a bad toilet for the rest of her youth and beyond. Her life is over.

No kids. No family. No love. No life. Could you do it?

For someone who has as much experience travelling to Indo as she does, and her obvious love of its people, I can't imagine making the decision to jeopardise it. Think about it - 20 YEARS!!!!!!

You are always taking a chance when you travel to foreign countries. I for one will NEVER comprehend a legal system that condemns people to life for some weed yet lets someone go who helps to kill people in an embassy. It makes me ill.

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Fri May 27, 2005 3:30 pm

dat lower 'n dog media is the same force that's putten on pressure that'll get Schappelle - 'n other aussies rotting in Indo jails - home. It's no coincidence that 10 days after today's 'circus' Downer is meeting wit de indo govt to begin negotiations for a prisoner transfer agreement.

It ain't always pretty but democracy wouldn't be a hundreth of what it is witout a free media.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri May 27, 2005 3:33 pm

we can debate innocence or guilt forever, the fact is it will probably never be proven one way or the other but what is fact is

dope + her bag = convicted

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Fri May 27, 2005 3:37 pm

what a staggeringly uninsightful post

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Fri May 27, 2005 4:30 pm

Innocent or Guilty I think she's done enough time already (6 months) for what is just a bag full of harmless dope.

I personally think she's innocent just because she doesn't fit the type. Look at those Heroin guys who got busted e.g. the girl and compare.

I would freak if it were me getting busted in Bali as I am known for enjoying a toke or two and I would probably be lucky to just get 20 years based on my reputation.

20 years for pot is 20 years too much, she should have planted a bomb somewhere she probalby would have gotten less. Then again 1 guy in the UK got 5 years for spray painting a train, rapists and some killers get the same or less.

roosters
regular

Post by roosters » Fri May 27, 2005 4:42 pm

somethings to ponder

-4.1kg is a substantial increase in weight and especially in somehting as light as a lid and its bag. Im left questioning why she didnt notice that.

-i wonder if the chief judge ( who has apparently convicted 500 out of a possible 500 people for drugs) had already decided his decision before the court case.

-the "star witness" - the inmate from south Australia - surely didnt do Corby any favours by not naming the people that were on in the racket.

- Personally i have a gut feeling that shes innocent, and find it incomprehensible that they could sentence her for 20 years for importing a "light" drug into a country where it would be worth less money than in the country she supposedly was exporting it from.

theres my 2 cents worth

gman
Grommet

Post by gman » Fri May 27, 2005 5:03 pm

amrosi got 2 and a half years for every 4.5 people killed at the sari

corby gets 20 year for drug trafficking.

mr packer (not kezza) gets of with a 3 day suspended sentence for not declaing his guns on board.

which is the heavier violation of the law?

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri May 27, 2005 5:13 pm

Whether she is or isn't, my heart still went out to her standing there in the dock and I challenge any Australian not to feel pity for her and what she is going through. It's a bag of pot, big bag but still pot. If she had gone over and massacerd a village full of kids, fair enough but I still reckon 20 years for dope is wrong. Pity those poor Bali 9, what will they give for smack taped to the body.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."