Leg Rope Free Days

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Leg Rope Free Days

Post by Johnno » Mon May 09, 2005 9:15 am

When it's 3 foot or less I don't bother with one on beach breaks and was just interested to here if anyone still surfs without a leg rope these days or have they become essential for all the times you go surfing.

fluffy

Post by fluffy » Mon May 09, 2005 9:31 am

whenever i ride my fish i abandon my leg rope ... 2-3 foot or less ...

booter
Local

Post by booter » Mon May 09, 2005 9:37 am

It would be a bit dangerous if surfing a crowded beach though wouldn't it?

fluffy

Post by fluffy » Mon May 09, 2005 9:58 am

booter wrote:It would be a bit dangerous if surfing a crowded beach though wouldn't it?
nope ... have been doing it for years & never had a problem.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon May 09, 2005 10:05 am

booter wrote:It would be a bit dangerous if surfing a crowded beach though wouldn't it?
Thats a good thing :lol:

agc
regular

Post by agc » Mon May 09, 2005 11:28 am

its nice to not have that constriction, getting tangled up and shit whilst trying to paddle for the best wave of the set.

That said i always surf with a leggie on, never bother taking it off.

When you put your boards in your bags do you take it off each time you finish your surf?

Another question who here hates wearing full steamers? I hate them! Ill only wear one if it is sooo cold my limbs wont move. I wear boardies and a rashie 99 percent of the time.
"And the way the rain comes down hard, that's how i feel inside..."

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Mon May 09, 2005 11:53 am

i gow ithout a leash if mine breaks

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Mon May 09, 2005 12:52 pm

I go leash-free whenever possible, usually up to 4 feet.

I might break the rule if it's a bit lumpy-bumpy in the take-off zone, or if it's real fast and/or closing out. Definitely wear the leash if surfing near rocks or the flags or am otherwise worried about the consequences of losing my board. 90% of the time I wear no leash.

The board is so much easier to paddle, and just flies along the wave.

It also concentrates the mind wonderfully in staying on your feet. I don't mind the occasional swim, but that usually happens only once or twice a session, if at all.

Been doing it about a year, now.

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Mon May 09, 2005 12:58 pm

Forgot to answer the question:

The leggy always comes off the board before it goes in the cover. I hate the smell that storing damp stuff in a closed bag creates, and it forces me to evaluate whether to wear one each time I get in the water.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon May 09, 2005 1:29 pm

I surf without a leggie a lot! Just to enjoy the freedom, the lack of tangle-factor and the minor sense of risk taking. Will even do it at rocky or big surf zones if I'm feeling particularly sure of myself. Swimming or bodysurfing after your board, to me, is just part of the fun.

I'm a bit shy of encouraging it too much, because I recall the chaos and danger of the early-70s pre-legrope days... it'd be a great cure for the current Retro Cool affliction, I think, sending everyone back to those days, and watching their faces when caught inside at South Newport and having 40-odd 7'0" Timmy Rodgers pintails flying toward 'em in the foam. My God.

But I still get the groms to go ropeless when doing club coaching sessions, and it's amazing watching their awareness levels rise. Suddenly they know EXACTLY where their boards are at ALL times. This is not a bad thing.

xxnc

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Mon May 09, 2005 1:46 pm

Small days on empty spots = no leggy

THEJUDGE

Post by THEJUDGE » Mon May 09, 2005 2:32 pm

leggies are for wimps. :D

clownshoes
regular

Post by clownshoes » Mon May 09, 2005 4:24 pm

hmm as a bodyboarder i always use a leash. In terms of aerials n such its always common that u wont land em and thus lose yer board - and generally with a bicep leash it doesnt affect paddling or ridability (i dont care if it aint a word - u know what i mean) so yeah..paddling after my board aint my favourite thing to do

philw
Local

Post by philw » Mon May 09, 2005 4:36 pm

I much prefer surfing without. I only put one on if I think I'm going to lose the board a lot (ie: close outs) or if there's a high risk of spearing people on the inside or a long paddle back in. It definitely stops me from trying moves where I might lose control but I don't really care - I just get more pleasure surfing without a leggie. Best is NUDE with no leggie. Experience total freedom dudes! Though you really don't want to lose your board and have to run up the beach for it....

philw
Local

Post by philw » Mon May 09, 2005 4:40 pm

Actually, I kinda think everyone should learn to surf without a leash. So many guys come to the end of a wave and just fire their board into the path of someone coming thru the inside. I've been clobbered by a couple of mals this way. No leashes might cause a bit of carnage but people'd soon learn when they cop aggro for constantly losing their board. And it'd stop people bailing their boards when a bigger set comes.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Mon May 09, 2005 6:10 pm

ive got a big feeling that a lot of you guys are talking yourselves up. Almost ALL of you have said that you surf without a leash when its small. Maybe you all live outside sydney, because from manly to longreef i rarely see people without one.

The worse is when a longboarder goes out without a leash, i was at curly and drifted into some chicks long boarding comp. They were very bad to say the least and i luckily noticed the girl who stacked in front of me didn't have one on, so i bailed in time.

Actually a better one, when i learnt to surf in Waikiki Hawaii (south shore) it was only like 1-2 ft, and this big dude stacks it 20meteres in front of me. He fell backwards and the board thus went forward, toward me. I asumed he had a leash on, so theres me sitting on a 9'10ft mal, watching an even larger one come towards me, only i was just waiting for the leash to snap it back. It didn't and it hit me at a half decent speed about 2 inches below the right of my hip bone. All it did was bruise (and hurt like hell) but if it got the bone im sure it would have been a lot worse.

Moral of the story, only do it if you have the skills.

A good thing about it is that surfers will always be very carefull about their board, whereas with a leash, there is a tendency to bail and let it fly around.