Bucket List

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Bucket List

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Wowsers!
Where is this place?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:38 pm

alakaboo wrote:Wowsers!
Where is this place?
Sumba

http://www.nihiwatu.com/
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Also attracts comments like this:

"Niiwatu, a travellers tale - Just did 10 days exploring Sumba, it's not bali, ments etc wave wise, it is mostly sideshore or blown in trades everywhere you go (time we were there at least!) but awesome place and people and the odd wave but definitely hard work traveling.
I have an open mind and like 2 sides to every story and I read Claudes on his website and articles, sadly and surprisingly, I never heard a good word from a local (or other for that matter)and thought hard before posting this, but it needs to be out there so good people can make good decisions about where to put their dollars.
It is common local knowledge that and elder of the Ni'iwatu village was murdered (knifed) as mentioned in another comment as he was too vocal about losing beach access etc in his HOME village to Claude, the murdered villagers daughter now lives in Rua (I am told by person very close to this operation), east across the peninsular where the Sumba Foundation has built an incredible stone "foundation house" in the very rural and very poor, very low population village (best building by far in area. They could have probably helped a 1000 kids with the build money)....I may be cynical here but it just seems to be a good spot to keep a surf boat and monitor / control crew trying to access Ni'iwatu "illegally" as the SUPER POOR locals said you are "not allowed" to go there surfing but can go further east to surf a (crap) wave... It seems foundations are almost a must if you want to have any power / ownership in Sumba with the govt so watch for smoke and also perhaps money laundering to officials. Also note who is in bed with the foundation, Goldman Sachs ex boss....do your own research on that nasty pack of global thieves if you care to follow that worm hole...I hope quicksilver and the like know the potential underbelly of these crew as they have signed up...
THE LIST AS TOLD TRAVELING THE ISAND
-Resort built by "almost" all non Sumbanese from ground up, almost no local income for whole project including materials imported mainly from Bali.
-Locals now on peanut wages but perhaps happy to have job stopping their own people and others accessing public property beach.
-Senior courageous local murdered wanting local access for his people, seeing what was on the horizon, we see it now.
-Owner "seems" to be hated in Sumba other than few corrupt officials and the other lucky few that benefit. When was the last time a truly good operation was so hated in a local area? "not good man" (orang tidak bagus)said way to many times by way to many people for the website care spiel to be accurate.
-If you turn up there and willing to pay, you will have to return to Bali and pay there to surf break, not for surf traveller peasants it seems.
-local kids hired to throw stones from cliff at surfers trying to access beach
-boat surfers threatened and stink eyed IN WATER
-local law indicates it is illegal to block a beach, they do so but allow the authorities to "do their job"..
-Foundation may well be a front that helps a little rather than a lot.
Do the math, there is many US$1000's of US$ moving thru that resort each busy day in accommodation alone, ...I hope Bali is safe and treating Claude and his family well and karma treats them kindly. It will be the true judge of right or wrong doings. I do hope it is overall right doings for everyone involved and the locals I met have their wires crossed somehow.

Basically seems to be another operation taking Gold from this already poor island and trying to turn it into a charitable operation marketing ploy, returning copper coins painted gold...the modern missionaries....next comes the marines oh, no, it's goldman sachs tulmudic (google tulmud quotes for their pedophile loving bible information) operation, sorry, new era.

Would like to see some accurate figures on who and where people are being helped on Sumba by this operation and if it is in areas not of benefit to their operation only on a decent scale, hopefully I am wrong and they are doing really well, I just did not find *anyone* there who thought so....the really funny thing was, I never asked, people would just seem to talk about it when they saw our surfboards and assumed we were heading there, maybe they were afraid we were not going to be a source of income for them and their families?"
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:07 pm

Trev wrote:Beluga is a whale. White. Livves in the Arctic.
Jesus Trev it was a joke (shoulders slumped forward)
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:18 pm

Fcuck Claude and Nihiwatu. Let's hope one day locals rise up like Fiji and restore open access. I hate this privatization of waves by whiteys with colonial hangovers more than anything
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:36 pm

marauding mullet wrote:
Trev wrote:Beluga is a whale. White. Livves in the Arctic.
Jesus Trev it was a joke (shoulders slumped forward)
Sheesh!
So was mine.
Japanese sea food=whale.
I was just spelling it out for people like the loofster. #*!
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:41 pm

steve shearer wrote:Fcuck Claude and Nihiwatu. Let's hope one day locals rise up like Fiji and restore open access. I hate this privatization of waves by whiteys with colonial hangovers more than anything
Yeah, he's a total wanker.

He's probably running on less than 10% occupancy and paying his staff the usual $5/day, if that. The locals would be much better off if they pissed him off and ran their own local losmens and warongs, with the money going directly into local pockets from those small scale enterprises, plus significant capital and income from leasing and selling land (regretable)
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:45 pm

I'm bummed that Jim Banks lent his support because Claude duchessed him with access.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:38 pm

steve shearer wrote:I'm bummed that Jim Banks lent his support because Claude duchessed him with access.
As far a I know that was a long time ago. And also I think the "exclusive" used to be pretty patchy, probably because Claude wasn't there a lot of the time.

Its grown to be such an issue though that even if by some bizarre circumstance I was offered free access I'd turn it down
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:48 am

steve shearer wrote:Fcuck Claude and Nihiwatu. Let's hope one day locals rise up like Fiji and restore open access. I hate this privatization of waves by whiteys with colonial hangovers more than anything

yep. one day i'd like to live on serious acres. where i would envision owning pigs. lots of pigs.

i would find guys like claude, and then feed him to my pigs.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:09 am

Pigs are really noisy...you would need earmuffs.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?