The "cheap" boards thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

The "cheap" boards thread

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:01 pm

I've bought myself an ecs log, 9 2". Same price brand new as most decent 2nd hand longboards. It is the complete opposite end of the spectrum compared to my jd's and the outerislands I just sold but as an infrequent weekend warrior it should do me. Should be here end of the week. I was planning on the jd selling but it hasn't so I'll probably keep it now ( the irony!:) ). Only found a few reviews online but mostly positive.

The beaches I usually surf are suited to longboards most of the time so I should get wet more often. Will update when I try it out.

Let the character assassination begin :) lol

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: The "cheap" boards thread

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:33 pm

Beerfan wrote:I've bought myself an ecs log, 9 2". Same price brand new as most decent 2nd hand longboards. It is the complete opposite end of the spectrum compared to my jd's and the outerislands I just sold but as an infrequent weekend warrior it should do me. Should be here end of the week. I was planning on the jd selling but it hasn't so I'll probably keep it now ( the irony!:) ). Only found a few reviews online but mostly positive.

The beaches I usually surf are suited to longboards most of the time so I should get wet more often. Will update when I try it out.

I've got a GSI "Modern Longboard" which I bought new a couple of years ago. It gets a run when the surf is really small.
All my other boards are customs so I reckon I'm allowed one import.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:22 pm

I keep getting ads on facebook etc from surfboard warehouse for some stupidly cheap boards, assuming they are crap pop outs. Any had a crack on one?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:31 pm

Trev wrote:
Beerfan wrote:I've bought myself an ecs log, 9 2". Same price brand new as most decent 2nd hand longboards. It is the complete opposite end of the spectrum compared to my jd's and the outerislands I just sold but as an infrequent weekend warrior it should do me. Should be here end of the week. I was planning on the jd selling but it hasn't so I'll probably keep it now ( the irony!:) ). Only found a few reviews online but mostly positive.

I've got a GSI "Modern Longboard" which I bought new a couple of years ago. It gets a run when the surf is really small.
All my other boards are customs so I reckon I'm allowed one import.

They generally have clearance stock of older models. Nearly got a pink minimal for my wife n kids.

Yeah Trev I wanted something for summer and I have a few spots close by that are great for longboards. Crowded and I don't like going there but close to home. Plan on doing some late arvo surfing this summer when the crowds thin, if they do lol. Also want to try to get the wife and kids keen

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:05 pm

channels wrote:I keep getting ads on facebook etc from surfboard warehouse for some stupidly cheap boards, assuming they are crap pop outs. Any had a crack on one?
My GSI would qualify as a popout.
9'6" and $650 new.
It's fine.
But I don't know what you call ridiculously cheap.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:11 pm

I give away most of my old boards. If i don't give them to someone in particular I put them out on the nature strip, sans fins. They usually go pretty quick. I quite enjoy doing it. When more than 1 board goes out at a time it's interesting to watch which boards go first. Hoping to see them in the surf but haven't, to date.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:58 pm

Ive got it now. Other than pretty soft foam on the bottom ( thumb test ), it's shaped and finished fine. Bit more density in the foam would've been good but you get what you pay for I guess. If it goes alright over summer I might revisit a pre shaped blank and glass one myself. Or just save up and buy a decent one.

rayanne.tait

Post by rayanne.tait » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm a beginner so I'm still using a softboard from SurfStitch which has a nice bright colour. Didn't want to invest too much in a sport I knew close to nothing about at the time :P I guess it's cheap cos it's one of those lower end boards.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Don't buy an ecs. Soft foam on the bottom. Really soft. Board surfs ok and the deck isn't too bad but a good hit on the bottom and mine will be stuffed