Byron is buggered

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Byron is buggered

Post by Trev » Mon May 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Braithy wrote:most of the north nsw/ se qld stretch – shit you could include most of the east coast – is buggered when you compare it to the purity of earlier times.

it's been hard to watch just through my time, i can't imagine what it must feel like to have had the 60's & 70's all to yourselves out at the pass, and kirra and burleigh etc ...

even though it's madly cold, i found tas still has that purity.
Kirras always been crowded.
Not "always".
I'm a few years older than you but while weekends could get busy (not by today's standards) in 1963-67, it was never crowded in the morning or on week days.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon May 02, 2016 5:14 pm

steve shearer wrote:last year I turned away from perfect point surf time and time again because there was no-one out.
Kook.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Mon May 02, 2016 5:59 pm

Now I've seen everything
Erase.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon May 02, 2016 6:13 pm

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Now I've seen everything
Sharks were prevalent.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon May 02, 2016 6:36 pm

I first surfed the place in the winter in the year of our lord 19 hundred and 13. Back then it was called "Brians Way" named after a stubborn koori bloke who said he knew a safe passage from broadwater to the stones at lennox. Turns out he was right but that didn't stop the white fellas consuming his flesh at the tip of the cape. Ill miss brian and his funny ways.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon May 02, 2016 7:13 pm

:lol:
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu May 05, 2016 8:35 pm

Trev wrote:
Beanpole wrote:
Braithy wrote:most of the north nsw/ se qld stretch – shit you could include most of the east coast – is buggered when you compare it to the purity of earlier times.

it's been hard to watch just through my time, i can't imagine what it must feel like to have had the 60's & 70's all to yourselves out at the pass, and kirra and burleigh etc ...

even though it's madly cold, i found tas still has that purity.
Kirras always been crowded.
Not "always".
I'm a few years older than you but while weekends could get busy (not by today's standards) in 1963-67, it was never crowded in the morning or on week days.
I reckon I surfed Kirra for the first time in about 1971-2. I'd started surfing in the summer of 69-70. Inter club contest with Kirra.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu May 05, 2016 8:59 pm

The first day I saw Rainbow Bay was on a saturday in August 1971. Coming over the Greenmount Hill and the view opened up to show a beautiful head high swell wrapping into the Bay. I was gobsmacked. Those horrible Norfolk Pines hadn't grown, so the whole beautiful scene was totally unblocked by the giant weed trees. And it was pretty bloody crowded.
But, as Trev said, it was often relatively uncrowded mid week.

On a late Sunday afternoon in 1973, the surf had been crappy but suddenly turned golden. The whole Snapper Point to Rainbow Bay was cracking and my school mate and I had it totally to ourselves. Just 2 people. Perfect wave, run around, another perfect wave etc. It was baffling that we were by ourselves. But, there was no internet and good surf forecasting was virtually non-existent and I'm sure everybody was doing the Sunday arvo session at the Patch. One of my top five surf experiences.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu May 05, 2016 9:11 pm

Used to do that run around on the couple of occasions each year when the planets aligned and the south swell would be big enough and solid enough to wrap around Snapper and run right across the bay, wrap around Greenmount point and finish up a couple of hundred yards down towards Coolangatta. After school, ride to Snapper, catch one, walk back, catch maybe two more. Then ride home in the dark, log under my arm and he wind behind me.
1964 and 65.
Sort of like Superbank, but all natural.
Beanpole

Skipper

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu May 05, 2016 10:36 pm

I had been watching an American surf show on TV for a while......I think it was called Surfs Up or something. Just starting High School. Wondering what I was going to get into as I approached being a teenager. I had a cold and my parents had taken me to the Kirra Zoo.....which was seriously lame. Got dumped in the car at Twin Towns Services Club....as was usual in those days. The sun was warm...September I think. Had a flouro acrylic turtle neck jumper on and I was cooking. Went for a walk around Greenmount and it was peeling right through. It used to hug the point at Greenmount when it was smaller in those days. Guys were getting waves right though Rainbow and if they were lucky dodging the rocks and going right down the side of Greenmount onto the beach. That was it for me. I couldn't imagine anything better to do on a day like that.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?