Surf beach suggestions for beginner - Sydney

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

HappyCamper

Surf beach suggestions for beginner - Sydney

Post by HappyCamper » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:07 pm

My 10 year old daughter has just picked up surfing while we were away. She did a couple of lessons and loved it. We've just bought her an 8 foot foamie and are looking for a suitable beach in Sydney. She needs my help to catch the waves so I'm going to need to be out there with her. What beaches would you suggest and which ones should be avoided? We're in the St George area.

Also, is it even going to be possible for me to be out there without a board? I can pack the body board if necessary.

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Re: Surf beach suggestions for beginner - Sydney

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:10 pm

HappyCamper wrote:My 10 year old daughter has just picked up surfing while we were away. She did a couple of lessons and loved it. We've just bought her an 8 foot foamie and are looking for a suitable beach in Sydney. She needs my help to catch the waves so I'm going to need to be out there with her. What beaches would you suggest and which ones should be avoided? We're in the St George area.

Also, is it even going to be possible for me to be out there without a board? I can pack the body board if necessary.

Deadmans, Voodoo & Suck Rock will result in many fun times for both you & your daughter.

In all seriousness, on the northern beaches (a long drive though) Collaroy, Freshwater and the Manly stretch would probably be the safest during small / medium south swells.

Probably best to use the body board if you need some sort of flotation device to stay afloat in case you get caught in a rip or your daughter becomes separated from her board. That's what I used to do anyways :-)
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:44 pm

Take a day trip down to seven mile beach gerroa. The north end, about the top three klms of seven mile is quite buffered from swell by the seabed and reefs offshore, and is ideal for learners about 99% of the time. The further north the gentler and smaller it breaks. Really clean breaking even sandbanks (albeit a little straight) and the waves aren't all that powerful. You'll likely find a bank all to yourself.

Stick to the top three klms, as the further south you go towards shoalhaven it starts to become more exposed to the swell again, and the waves start packing more punch, and will become a little more off putting for a learner.

https://www.beachsafe.org.au/beach/nsw400
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:01 pm

She will be on white water or tiny shore break for a while, so just about anywhere will be fine for the first 5-10 times. Somewhere in a protected corner if you need, knee high waves or white water.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:09 pm

Good suggestions from ctd. Best to learn at low tide if she's just catching broken waves.

Don't forget that protected corners frequently have rips eg. South Palmy, DY kiddies corner etc.

HappyCamper

Post by HappyCamper » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:43 pm

chrisb wrote:Good suggestions from ctd. Best to learn at low tide if she's just catching broken waves.

Don't forget that protected corners frequently have rips eg. South Palmy, DY kiddies corner etc.
Sorry, where's DY kiddies corner?

HappyCamper

Post by HappyCamper » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:43 pm

Oh got it. Dee why. Whoops!

HappyCamper

Post by HappyCamper » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Please keep them coming!

Her first two lessons were out on the waves, so she didn't spend any time in the white water.

Is there any reason not to do this at Bondi? It's the closest calm ish beach to us. Tama, Bronte, Maroubra obviously too rough.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:20 pm

Bondi will be fine. Just pick the right day (wave height/messiness). Watch out for all the other learners who will run her over or otherwise have no control, stay off the main peaks. Basically what you did when she was learning to bodyboard except not amongst the swimmers (I think you can soft board between the flags but not worth trying to learn to surf amongst the crowds).

There is no need to go right out the back to the bigger waves; 8yr olds will have fun on anything and can surf anything above ankle height cos they are midgets. And if you can stand it's easier for you to give her a push and keep her board under control etc. for a while-obviously advance as appropriate

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:06 am

The very south end of DY has a little rip

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:38 pm

The north end of Bondi is generally the calmest with the flattest bottom. The south end can get messy (and had the shark attack).

Although this website is fantastic, I suggest that you check out the surf cams on www.coastalwatch.com before you leave so as to know in advance whether it's worth your while to travel there.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:55 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Take a day trip down to seven mile beach gerroa. The north end, about the top three klms of seven mile is quite buffered from swell by the seabed and reefs offshore, and is ideal for learners about 99% of the time. The further north the gentler and smaller it breaks. Really clean breaking even sandbanks (albeit a little straight) and the waves aren't all that powerful. You'll likely find a bank all to yourself.

Stick to the top three klms, as the further south you go towards shoalhaven it starts to become more exposed to the swell again, and the waves start packing more punch, and will become a little more off putting for a learner.

https://www.beachsafe.org.au/beach/nsw400

Took the kids there this arvo. Fun. Touch bigger and I would've taken my board out

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:33 pm

Oh come the f*** on! Is this the 'don't mention Cronulla' forum? You say you live in the St.George area and you want a safe place to teach your kid to surf? There's three kilometres of perfectly safe beach breaks north of Wanda to Greenhills and into Boat Harbour 4wd park that nature has designed specifically for your daughters surfing needs FFS. Its also usually a damn sight less crowded than the bloody kook and hipster infested Bondi or Maroubra and you wont need to drive for hours up to the northern beaches (which can be fairly hostile with 'local' crew) or way down south to 7 mile.

HappyCamper

Post by HappyCamper » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:41 pm

Not sure if you're having a go at me or other forum members for not suggesting Cronulla? I just asked the question. Sheesh.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:34 pm

He is having go at other forum members.

Most of us live north of Sydney and I have never surfed at Cronulla, hence my non-recommendation which probably also is the case with the other northerners.

However anyone else on this website who lives at or surfs at Cronulla should hang their heads in shame. Common guys, the place isn't exactly a secret.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:42 pm

he's not asking for a secret spot. Cronulla is probs his best option. more beach to chose from than Bondi and cheaper parking.
Besides it's the place some of us cut our teeth at and became the (not so) happy rippers we are now.

HappyCamper

Post by HappyCamper » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:49 pm

How would Cronulla go for a beginner and is there a particular end that's more suitable? Bear in mind we're talking about a 10 year old surfing. It's far closer than Manly and anything northern so it sounds ideal. I also have a 4WD so the beach beyond Greenhills is also accessible.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:55 pm

depends what make and colour you 4WD is. if it hasn't seen an off road, is european and black, you'll love the north corner at bondi.
otherwise, stick to greenhills. but there's plenty of options either side of flagged areas away from the nasty frothers and wolf packs on highly contested fibreglass banks for a softy at any city beach... use your nouse.