Having a break from surfing?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Having a break form surfing?

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:03 pm

Bulging is one thing, degeneration another. I have three discs (lumbar) which basically have no discs between them. Can get pretty restrictive at times, but oddly enough, less so as I've got older.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:48 pm

yes Trev bulging usually does happen less as men get older

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Having a break from surfing?

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:50 pm

el rancho wrote:yes Trev bulging usually does happen less as men get older
Yeah but that's my gut, not my backbone discs. :-o
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Wyre wrote:Godammit Brendo that is heavy!

I guess if bulges stay bulged, core strength and flexibility are key to avoiding any more blow outs.

Bloody hell.
I assume you had mri to ascertain the L4/5 damage? go see a good sports doc or
a osteo. if you in theeastern subs I know a good one you can see of either.
good luck mate. mine went completely a month shy of turning 40.....

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:08 pm

Trev wrote:Bulging is one thing, degeneration another. I have three discs (lumbar) which basically have no discs between them. Can get pretty restrictive at times, but oddly enough, less so as I've got older.
trev, a chiro I built a house for explained something to me which would explain what is happening to you. he told me that when he started a concretor in his 50s came saw him with a sore back. when he got the scans back, if he went by his uni books, the guy should of been a cripple.
his expalnarion is that as you injure disks,ligaments etc in your back, the body gradually compensates for it to keep you moving. i showed him one of my mri scans and he pointed out one joint and told me that although it was quite bad, my body had adapted to it. it wasn't actually even causing me grief! even my neck now, which is like you in that the discs have bulged, have tears and dried out, the pain isn't anywhere near what it was 3.5yrs ago. I do get flare ups but its pretty good generally. I cant surf though because when I tilt my head back to paddle, it pinches whats left and sets nerve pain off down my arm into the fingers. at its worst its farking excrutiating!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:15 pm

brendo wrote:
Trev wrote:Bulging is one thing, degeneration another. I have three discs (lumbar) which basically have no discs between them. Can get pretty restrictive at times, but oddly enough, less so as I've got older.
trev, a chiro I built a house for explained something to me which would explain what is happening to you. he told me that when he started a concretor in his 50s came saw him with a sore back. when he got the scans back, if he went by his uni books, the guy should of been a cripple.
his expalnarion is that as you injure disks,ligaments etc in your back, the body gradually compensates for it to keep you moving. i showed him one of my mri scans and he pointed out one joint and told me that although it was quite bad, my body had adapted to it. it wasn't actually even causing me grief! even my neck now, which is like you in that the discs have bulged, have tears and dried out, the pain isn't anywhere near what it was 3.5yrs ago. I do get flare ups but its pretty good generally. I cant surf though because when I tilt my head back to paddle, it pinches whats left and sets nerve pain off down my arm into the fingers. at its worst its farking excrutiating!
Yeah. That's pretty much exactly right, brendo.
I have x-rays from 30+ years ago and some which were taken last year. Pretty much unchanged in the amount of damage - coz there's nothing left to degenerate :-o Also, there's some evidence the vertebrae are fusing naturally (calcification). Apparently something similar (in layman's terms) to what they do with surgery. Which I won't be having anytime soon.
Beanpole

Skipper

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:18 pm

i was talking about you crotch bulge

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:10 pm

brendo wrote:
Wyre wrote:Godammit Brendo that is heavy!

I guess if bulges stay bulged, core strength and flexibility are key to avoiding any more blow outs.

Bloody hell.
I assume you had mri to ascertain the L4/5 damage? go see a good sports doc or
a osteo. if you in theeastern subs I know a good one you can see of either.
good luck mate. mine went completely a month shy of turning 40.....

Well I'm pretty lucky, my dad is an amazing osteopath who is retired but helped me out on this one. I asked him just before about this idea of bulging discs staying bulged and he disagreed-

Fragments can break off and remain (separate) but it's mobile, or plastic. Treatment goal is to allow the disc to retract within the bony column. All these movements bulging out and back are small.
It doesn't slide out, the cartilaginous outer part bulges. If it splits and the nuclear pulposis extrudes out, that can remain. That's a protrusion, mostly it's a bulge.

That's another opinion on the matter to put out there, but I think there are a lot of those around!
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:46 pm

One thing maybe worth noting for older guys especially, is that the nature of the disc changes as we age.
When we're young the disc is quite flexible, but turns chalky as we age. There's nothing you can do about it, other than learn to keep you back straight, particularly if lifting something.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:08 am

I must admit I've been reading this thread with just a hint of schadenfreude. As a consequence I've torn my Achilles tendon and have been hobbling around for the last week. There was actually some surf yesterday and there had been some improvement so I gingerly hobbled down and tried to surf. I completely underestimated the requirement for sudden gymnastics involving complete ankle flexibility when surfing. Each wave tore more fibers and after 30 mins I hobbled back out again, in pain and my ankle completely fcuked, just about had to hop back to my car. Luckily (?) we're off to Chiang Mai for 3 weeks soon and it will have time to heal in readiness for a solid year of surfing in Indo (fingers crossed)
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:11 am

They say opium is good for sore ankles
Erase.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:27 am

You do say! What is best, as a paste on the ankle, ingested, smoked or as a suppository?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:30 am

Or perhaps all four just to be sure.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:30 am

well I would suggest up the Japs eye but I don't want to be accused of being RACIST
Erase.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:52 am

Straight into the eyeball. And if that goes wrong, you wont be able to see well enough to know you are missing out on good waves.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:03 pm

Its good to know that you can rely on good sensible advice from the realsurf cadres if you ever have a problem

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:31 am

Cranked wrote:I must admit I've been reading this thread with just a hint of schadenfreude. As a consequence I've torn my Achilles tendon and have been hobbling around for the last week.

if you tore your achilles tendon, you'd know about it.

excruciating pain, your calf muscle curls up into a ball half way up your leg and you need surgery to re-attach it all together. i tore the sheath around the tendon and that was a small op, and 12 months all up of rehab before i was running again.

i still have scar tissue in between the tendon and sheath (side effect from surgery) which flares up and forms a lump when i'm on my feet for a long time.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:55 am

Braithy wrote:
Cranked wrote:I must admit I've been reading this thread with just a hint of schadenfreude. As a consequence I've torn my Achilles tendon and have been hobbling around for the last week.

if you tore your achilles tendon, you'd know about it.

excruciating pain, your calf muscle curls up into a ball half way up your leg and you need surgery to re-attach it all together. i tore the sheath around the tendon and that was a small op, and 12 months all up of rehab before i was running again.

i still have scar tissue in between the tendon and sheath (side effect from surgery) which flares up and forms a lump when i'm on my feet for a long time.
My understanding is that the archilles tendon is made up of a large number of fibres and that my injury was tearing just a few of them. When this happens inflamation causes the surrounding fibres to get stiffer and contract which immobilizes the tendon to some extent so reducing movement and aiding the healing process