Having a break from surfing?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Re: Having a break form surfing?

Post by swvic » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:12 pm

The Lord's post reminds me of my individual running training when I played footy. The game was all about standing still, walking, barely jogging, jogging, striding out and full on sprinting. Except to get miles in the legs pre season, I saw no sense in running long distances at constant pace
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:05 pm

I hate just doing laps. I do hiit on a bike at the gym. Works great for fitness, so I might try the above method next time I go

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:05 am

Flashback to footy preseason then as well, slow jog then sprint then walk then sprint then repeat and repeat etc. You would be so sore the next couple of days at the beginning then do it again.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:06 am

long conversation with a mate last night along the lines of exactly what is being discussed here, that is interval and HIIT training v just going for distance or going flat out. Our conversation was based on prone paddle training however I think it is relevant to running and swimming as well.This guy knows his stuff. He trained a friend of mine to win the Molokai race several times.

Basically going for distance or flat out early in your training program will allow you to probably see some quick brief improvements but you will hit a plateau very quickly and it will be hard to improve from there. Intervals will allow you to build a solid foundation while continuing to increase your peak. Sometimes you need to go slow to be able to go fast later.

My training buddy was saying that for Molokai they may only do 3 or 4 Molokai distance training sessions in an entire training season in the lead up to the race. The rest of it is based on things like Intervals, Swimming and strength work. The strength work really only adds about 5% max increased benefit which at pro level can mean the difference between winning and not. For the rest of us time on the board is what is important.

For a race such as the Molokai you need to be able to go flat out (say to catch a runner) and then pull back (say once you are on a runner) over and over again. Its not about just going flat out the whole time. This is exactly what interval training can help with. Not that we are all doing the Molokai but I think we can all take some learnings from this.

I watched a video last night of a guy training for the Kona Ironman Triathlon. This guy has won it several times. A lot of his training was based around intervals and HIIT. With a few race distance, race paced training sessions thrown in towards the race (but not too many).

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:11 am

you have to have a training program that gradually builds you up. imo

for what i do, with the ultimate goal being the molokai, you start out doing base training. get a hrm and just moderate moderate/high heart rate. for me & my age that's an hour without rest every morning keeping in the 125-155 beats per minute. we mix up cross training into this, with sand jogging, ocean swimming, prone paddling and stand up paddling. but just a nice even pace, getting into rhythm & working on technique and staying in shape as the goal. base training goes perfectly with a good gym program targeted at strength and with a cycle or run program to work different muscle groups to your swim/ paddle training.

its perfect for the race season, as summer (water temps perfect for cross training) is the start of the season with the first races not until feb.

then things gradually ramp up to a mix of interval & distance efforts, so by the time feb's first race (22nd) we're finished our program 1 week before the race where we taper. maybe do some carb & hydration loading.

i can't recommend base training enough as the platform to get your body primed for more intense things down the track. injury reduction, extended strength & endurance and better techniques are all solid plusses compared to just jumping straight into hiit ...
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:09 pm

Yeh Braithy that sounds similar to the program Riding Bumps promote.
Its funny because depends who you talk to. Everyone seems to have opinions about how to train. Fact is we are all different and need to tailor programs to suit us individually.

The Riding Bumps program makes sense to me and has some good science behind it. Then my mate who is one of the best distance prone paddlers in the world told me to throw that program out the window and forget about heart rate based training. I guess the more we know the more we know that we don't know. He basically got me onto using a Garmin but not for heart rate. Basically it is just used for programming intervals and tracking distance if you want to look at that type of stuff. He told me not to bother with the heart rate monitor. That said I think there are pros and cons of both.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:41 pm

Natho wrote:Yeh Braithy that sounds similar to the program Riding Bumps promote.
Its funny because depends who you talk to. Everyone seems to have opinions about how to train. Fact is we are all different and need to tailor programs to suit us individually.

The Riding Bumps program makes sense to me and has some good science behind it. Then my mate who is one of the best distance prone paddlers in the world told me to throw that program out the window and forget about heart rate based training. I guess the more we know the more we know that we don't know. He basically got me onto using a Garmin but not for heart rate. Basically it is just used for programming intervals and tracking distance if you want to look at that type of stuff. He told me not to bother with the heart rate monitor. That said I think there are pros and cons of both.
Holy crap Natho...all your mates are world champs this or winners of that...I know a bloke who came 953rd in the Hawaiian triathlon last year...thats as close to knowing a champion anything I have ever come

so intervals...is that the technical term for the short sprints that I mentioned?

and the increasing that Braithy mentioned sounds a good plan

In a swim session I will swim 500m or so at a steady pace to warm up...then do the interval stuff...which will likely consist of 10/50 meter sprints...with a minute rest between each sprint. So if I am training regularly I can slowly reduce the rest time...and eventually go from 10 sprints to 12...and so on...is this what you are talking about.

is the heart rate measuring thing a good idea...I have always believed that to increase fitness levels you have to push the heart rate hard during training...which is why sprint stuff is so important when doing any type of training? Also heard that a great measurement of fitness is measuring the recovery time of a heart rate...so with boxers I train I will do a two minute burn session of them hitting pads flat out...than get them to count their heart rate over 15 seconds. Then they wait a minute and check the rate again...so the amount they can reduce their heart rate over that period is a good indicator of fitness levels? I record those results and then run the same test every three months...hopefully seeing significant improvements

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Im talking about one bloke. Not sure where you got 'all your mates' from. But happy for you to get your loose ol sphincter into a spasm over it if that floats your boat.

referencing the said person is relative to the discussion as it is someone who would know a thing or two about what is being discussed.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:39 pm

Natho wrote:Im talking about one bloke. Not sure where you got 'all your mates' from. But happy for you to get your loose ol sphincter into a spasm over it if that floats your boat.

referencing the said person is relative to the discussion as it is someone who would know a thing or two about what is being discussed.
awww man I wasnt meaning anything at all derogatory at all with that comment...and I thought you were referencing several different guys, sorry

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:05 pm

Apology accepted my good Lord

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:42 pm

cheers buddy, sincerely appreciated...that forgiveness stuff had to start coming my way eventually I guess

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:06 pm

I seem to have been having a bit of a break for a few years without really meaning to. Surfing was a huge priority and source of much frustration (when family commitments and my wife's irregular work hrs intervened) right into my late 30s, then kids and other priorities got in the way and I guess it had to give way. Even when I went I didn't seem to enjoy it as much - I was consciously just keeping up with it enough not to lose all contact with it.

I considered giving it away entirely, but shit, what do you do when you stop surfing?

Lack of motivation is still the case now, except my younger boy is 9 and wants to take it up. For a while there it was a drag as taking him meant less surf time for me. However, we just got back from holidays where I paddled out on my board with him and his, and I instructed him from there a grabbed a few when I could. This hasn't reignited the stoke just yet but I'm hopeful. It really sucks to keep doing something you once lived for but now do out of habit or simply for fear of giving it away.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:45 pm

I'm looking down the barrel of some serious re-setting and aiming to surf in Autumn. I'm 39 and in the last couple of years my discs have bulged periodically (L5-6), but just after xmas I copped the worst one I've ever felt- lying on a shit fcuking couch of all things- 7 solid days of real pain.

Problem is, often it heals quite quickly (or so I think) and I relax, then go out and fcuk myself again. No more!

I've realised the things I enjoy and keep me fit are pretty high impact- surfing and soccer.

Gonna hit the pool hard, but some advice for a core regime that can be achieved with 2 small kids in tow would be appreciated. Do I go medicine ball, Taylor Knox kinda way or what? Taylor Swift?

No way am i letting surfing go!
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:03 pm

Your 'core' and back stretch from the glutes and hammies upwards. So don't just think about the six pack. In any event, Google these names and have a read of some of their stuff - you will find a lot

Dr Stuart McGill (back)
Bret Contreras (glutes and core)
Tony Gentilcore (everything but a lot of core stuff - Google 'Gentilcore and core')

There are a whole range of core exercises you can do with body weight (eg dead bugs) or with a powerband. Pull ups actually use the core quite a lot. Battle ropes. Medicine ball throws. Farmers walks are good, or a slosh pipe. The choices are infinite-just don't do sit ups. Flexion is bad; it's all about anti flexion, anti rotation, esp with a bad back (been there myself). You can do a lot of it in front of the tv at the end of the day, and the rest in the backyard.

Although obviously get medical advice on the disc stuff. You might have postural problems or ??? Discs don't just bulge for no reason

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:12 pm

I have a few bulging discs. After I started back squats it got much better.

That's it, I'll probably get a longboard but I'm tempted by a racing mal or even paddle board. It's not surfing but it has to have a more positive effect on paddle fitness and fitness in general. Which in turn should help my surfing as well. Especially when I don't have much choice over when I surf, which means it's often crap

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:25 pm

like natho said, everyone is different and everyone is starting from a different fitness and skill/ endurance base.

the hrm stuff we do, is all about not going too hard, not going too slow. staying in a good, hard working pattern for a prolonged period of time. i think the last hour session i did before i broke my paddle (still waiting for a new one from WA) we did about 8.7km in that hour and my heart rate stayed under 155bpm.

... there's a whole science behind it that ties into lactic acid build up and being able to increase red blood cells and priming the body to oxygenate the blood quicker etc etc. i basically do what i'm told at training (and don't even know the full extent of benefits and philosophy behind it) from people who are some of the best current endurance athletes or best former athletes around here (ppl like karla gilbert, trev hendy, and then all the squad i train with).
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Wyre wrote:I'm looking down the barrel of some serious re-setting and aiming to surf in Autumn. I'm 39 and in the last couple of years my discs have bulged periodically (L5-6), but just after xmas I copped the worst one I've ever felt- lying on a shit fcuking couch of all things- 7 solid days of real pain.

Problem is, often it heals quite quickly (or so I think) and I relax, then go out and fcuk myself again. No more!

I've realised the things I enjoy and keep me fit are pretty high impact- surfing and soccer.

Gonna hit the pool hard, but some advice for a core regime that can be achieved with 2 small kids in tow would be appreciated. Do I go medicine ball, Taylor Knox kinda way or what? Taylor Swift?

No way am i letting surfing go!
wyre, they don't bulge periodically. once they bulge they stay bulged! its just that you are aggravating them and inflammation is then probably causing nerve pain and discomfort. a sports doc told me everyone has bulging discs to some degree over the age of 30. many never know it.
you need to manage it. ive got about 15 bulges throughout my back including 2 really bad ones in my neck that put an end to 28yrs of surfing
instantly. was depressing for quite a while, but living in syd after growing up on the north coast, I don't miss it now. been 3.5yrs. instead ive
put more energy back into snowboarding, which ive been told to stop by 2 different chiros, but my osteo, who has skied with me, told me not to land on my head lol
ive still got my quiver and a pretty much brand new steamer, just cant let them go. enjoy it while u can, and if you want to keep surfing you really need to get it sorted, cause I tell ya, if the disc goes, one day your high on surfing the next doing nothing....

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:02 pm

Godammit Brendo that is heavy!

I guess if bulges stay bulged, core strength and flexibility are key to avoiding any more blow outs.

Bloody hell.
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing