Quiver thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Quiver thread

Post by Cranked » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:07 pm

Braithy wrote:9
Interesting quote re number of fins: I'll always remember Dominic Wybrow*, when asked how he came up with the quad fin concept, replied "I took one fin off"

* I think it was Dominic
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:49 am

BA wrote: Yeah, I mentioned somewhere that mine had some pressure dents after the first surf. Curse of the modern board.
Been putting my CI Sampler through its paces over the last month. Still no pressure dents on the board. It's has a stock 4-4-4 glass job with S cloth.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:03 am

petulance wrote:
BA wrote: Yeah, I mentioned somewhere that mine had some pressure dents after the first surf. Curse of the modern board.
Been putting my CI Sampler through its paces over the last month. Still no pressure dents on the board. It's has a stock 4-4-4 glass job with S cloth.

told you. s-cloth is the shit.

having a thick(er) blank sure helps too. i still haven't dinged my little KS tube machine from CI, and i've had it out in some meaty stuff.

scored the longest barrel i've ever had on a beachie on it the other day too ... whenever i close my eyes at night before bed it just plays on a loop in my mind.

unreal board. you liking your board? you turning it well? going rail to rail or top-to-bottom on it?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:20 pm

Thanks again for the S cloth tip. Yeah I'm liking the board, though the tail could be a touch narrower. Got some nice turns on my backhand with some rail game but not so on my forehand. Still trying to make subtle feet movements while on the board.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:37 pm

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Still not sure what a trailer adds to a twin.
I figure if I need more dig I just set up as a thruster. Otherwise 2 fins is loose n lovely
4 shallow channels on a twin gives nice hold getting rid of the loosey goosey feel but still gives the smooth free twin fin feel. You gotta Use the rails of course but my point is channels on a twinny act like a fin......& they re back in fashion again
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:12 pm

So I think I can give a review of my fat bullet after having quite a few waves on it.
It is very smooth and has exceptional hold on take off for an old codger. As soon as you get to your feet it's engaged with the wave face like you are just riding normally.
Having had it in some reef breaks and varying beach breaks I would say it covers a very wide range of wave styles and size.
When I had it out in some fast lined up but relatively sloping faced waves the fish type characteristics of the design came into play which I had been sceptical about before. Seems to have control at pretty much any speed due to the bottom shape.

My one beef with the design is that quite often if the wave is slowing up a bit as you take off you have to jump back down and give it another couple of strokes to get it to keep up. It initially catches waves easily. However I think the narrow tail tends to sink into the wave and this slows the board down if the waves a bit fullish.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:16 pm

He was onto less performance boards early( no offence BP it sounds like a great board for me). Now the fat bullet looks like a performance hybrid. Last 15 years of surfing is amazing.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:19 pm

My first mini mal was a Pipedream Brett Munro model.....went really good.
The quad on the fat bullet really goes great.
I'm impressed by the cathedral concave in the bottom as well.
He reckons there's no chance of catching a rail and I would agree.
Don't like the slow down on take off but once your up it handles a late drop with ease.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:15 pm

Bottom contours on my new boards are V entry- dbl concave-V exit.
Is that like what Maurice Cole EEVs were like, or they didn't have V exit?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:21 pm

I've been wondering what ever happened to all those timber laminate tuflite boards that came out at the start of production?
I don't think I've seen one anywhere since back in the days they came out.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Timbertek? Or the really old longboard ones? The really early ones were painted I'm sure. Know someone with a timbertek. Not the greatest by the sounds of it. FST seem to be the most durable tech of FireWire. Probably why they're making other, more "lively" ( fragile lol ) construction types.

I'd get a 2nd hand FST if I found one that wasn't the same dims as a 12 yr old girl

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:08 pm

Timbertek is Firwire right?
Used to have one....didn't mind the look...but the board was a dog.
No I mean the old Tuflite boards....Im pretty sure they weren't painted.
I used to have a timberish painted board that Knackers shaped.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Ah yes sorry I meant the timber surf tech ones. Real timber you say? My mistake

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:49 pm

felt up a slater designs/tomo omni ... jeez it's light and sleek and balanced.

it for passes the under the arm test. not sure i'd ever drop money to buy one though. it's kinda not a groveller and made for better waves (with shape). but if i'm in better waves, i want an old faithful shape that i know will get me to where i need to be on a wave.
Kunji wrote:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Beanpole wrote:Timbertek is Firwire right?
Used to have one....didn't mind the look...but the board was a dog.
No I mean the old Tuflite boards....Im pretty sure they weren't painted.
I used to have a timberish painted board that Knackers shaped.
They were timber not paint and they were always pretty rare. I've never seen one with any problems though, there's probably four or five longboards in that construction that I see from time to time where I surf near Perth
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:21 pm

That's what I thought. There were initially a few around but Ove never really seen one since. I think they were actually supposed to be stronger.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Braithy wrote:felt up a slater designs/tomo omni ... jeez it's light and sleek and balanced.

it for passes the under the arm test. not sure i'd ever drop money to buy one though. it's kinda not a groveller and made for better waves (with shape). but if i'm in better waves, i want an old faithful shape that i know will get me to where i need to be on a wave.
Few stories on how delicate they are. What's the point of new fangled light weight boards if they're just as fragile as lightly glassed poly? Especially when they're dearer. It's dumb. Composite construction boards don't have to be super space age high tech to be light, lively and strong. But as a high volume manufacturer you don't want boards that'll last years, you want to confuse and bamboozle people with fancy claims of the latest greatest so when the current one snaps in a 2' beachie you go out and buy the new tech.

Then again most of the big surf brands sell $100+ boardies and people are stupid enough to buy them :)

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Braithy wrote:felt up a slater designs/tomo omni ... jeez it's light and sleek and balanced.

Few stories on how delicate they are. What's the point of new fangled light weight boards if they're just as fragile as lightly glassed poly? Especially when they're dearer. It's dumb. Composite construction boards don't have to be super space age high tech to be light, lively and strong. But as a high volume manufacturer you don't want boards that'll last years, you want to confuse and bamboozle people with fancy claims of the latest greatest so when the current one snaps in a 2' beachie you go out and buy the new tech.

Then again most of the big surf brands sell $100+ boardies and people are stupid enough to buy them :)

deadset, huh ... never woulda thought they'd be fragile. my little green board lasted 4 years and was PU with 4x4x4 glass. but i know the shaper forks out for the best blanks, best glass and best resin. it all makes a difference.

Did you see on coastalwatch (i think it was), jim banks was saying in an article how at a glasser's joint he heard a big board maker remind them to glass them extra light. we've known it for years, but it was still revealing hearing it first hand that they do that shit. worst boards i've ever ridden in that regard are JS. Even if i got offered one for free, I'd move it on just on principal.

So much for surfers loving the environment. not when there's money involved.
Kunji wrote: