Ebay Bargains thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Ebay Bargains thread

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:22 pm

:lol:

Seven boards for 2-3 foot semi closeout beach breaks ?!? Ha !
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:25 pm

Variety is the slice of life Iggy. Keeps me motivated.

But yeah, better banks would be nice.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:01 am

Pfft. A recreational surfer owning a quiver is nothing but a grotesque vanity; a repellent self-delusion not dissimilar to tossing yourself off in front of the mirror while sucking in your beer gut and flexing your man-tits.

The 'need' for a quiver is simply a marketing conceit created by the surf industry in recent years to shift more product. Pity these poor fools, gulled by seductive images of corporate freesurfing shills into chasing the dream of effortless wavesliding on beautifully tinted alternative surfcraft set against a backdrop of moist minge, yet in reality fretting over fin size and type and placement on boards that they don't really know how to ride then - inevitably dissatisfied - moving on to the next over-priced, over-promised slice of esoterica and repeating the process all over again.

You only need one board in waves up to six foot. You're not a special little soldier whose sensitive disposition needs something a little more refined than the hoi polloi. Get a modern shortboard by a respected manufacturer that suits your size, fitness and ability. Stick with it, learn it. If things aren't going right it's you, not the board. Once you know how to ride it, then you can piss around with alternative boards if you must. Anything else, you're just wrecking your surfing, forever condemning yourself to needing a crutch if the waves are anything less than perfect and giving yourself an excuse for surfing badly when sub-prime conditions expose your own limitations and those of the alt/retro dog you're erratically piloting.
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:04 am

You're absolutely correct GSTQ. I feel I'm a minimalist myself. To that end I've carefully culled and curated my board selection to just the essential eight boards
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:47 am

godsavethequeen wrote:Pfft. A recreational surfer owning a quiver is nothing but a grotesque vanity; a repellent self-delusion not dissimilar to tossing yourself off in front of the mirror while sucking in your beer gut and flexing your man-tits.

The 'need' for a quiver is simply a marketing conceit created by the surf industry in recent years to shift more product. Pity these poor fools, gulled by seductive images of corporate freesurfing shills into chasing the dream of effortless wavesliding on beautifully tinted alternative surfcraft set against a backdrop of moist minge, yet in reality fretting over fin size and type and placement on boards that they don't really know how to ride then - inevitably dissatisfied - moving on to the next over-priced, over-promised slice of esoterica and repeating the process all over again.

You only need one board in waves up to six foot. You're not a special little soldier whose sensitive disposition needs something a little more refined than the hoi polloi. Get a modern shortboard by a respected manufacturer that suits your size, fitness and ability. Stick with it, learn it. If things aren't going right it's you, not the board. Once you know how to ride it, then you can piss around with alternative boards if you must. Anything else, you're just wrecking your surfing, forever condemning yourself to needing a crutch if the waves are anything less than perfect and giving yourself an excuse for surfing badly when sub-prime conditions expose your own limitations and those of the alt/retro dog you're erratically piloting.
Did Andy steal your log in ? sounds like the rantings of an embittered cyclist that couldn't make the one hi performance board work in all conditions up to six foot.
Sniff wrote:

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:49 am

I dont have them becuause I need them, I have them because I like them. You are dead right in that I probably could get away with one or two boards for 99% of the time. I just dont want to.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:39 am

Drailed wrote:I dont have them becuause I need them, I have them because I like them. You are dead right in that I probably could get away with one or two boards for 99% of the time. I just dont want to.

Yeah, exactly.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:07 am

If you surf sorter quite a bit a few boards are handy, if you are a weekend surfer in say 2/3 beach close outs still need at least 2. If your once a month just stop bothering and stop annoying everybody. If they don't get a ride, f&ck em off I say. I have one floating around ready for a trade.
Last edited by Davros on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:57 am

Yep, I am usually in the water about 3-4 times a week and they mostly do get a go. There is one I haven't ridden for quite a while but it will have it's turn again.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:37 am

I've been cutting back on swapping boards a fair bit lately. Too lazy.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:35 pm

If you surfed one spot that was the same every surf, then the one board theory would work great. 95% of the time I surf one of 2 beachies. I could surf many different types of waves but I'm a creature of habit I guess. Even then, depending on tides and banks, those 2 beachies can be anything from fat and weak, and great for a bit of volume, to punchy and crisp( :-D-: ) so it's good to throw in 2 different boards when having a look.

If I'm out of shape or haven't been out for ages ( like now lol ), then I just usually grab my 7' lil longboard. Helps build fitness and surfs just about any waist to little over head waves just fine. Nothing flash just gets the job done.

Joschka
regular

Post by Joschka » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:03 pm

Last edited by Joschka on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Over the past few years I reckon I've broken even on board costs. Buying and (re)selling second hand boards, saving thousands of dollars in the process. I don't like wasting money on deprecating toys. See also - cars
Sniff wrote:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Yes nobody wants a board with low self-esteem

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Interesting sentiment if surfing is one of your passions.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Not at all. Over the years I've spent thousands on boards. Used to exclusively get customs etc. these days I'm comfortable with buying used boards. Gumtree is a goldmine at times. I'd rather put my coin towards paying the mortgage off.
Sniff wrote:

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:26 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Not at all. Over the years I've spent thousands on boards. Used to exclusively get customs etc. these days I'm comfortable with buying used boards. Gumtree is a goldmine at times. I'd rather put my coin towards paying the mortgage off.
I've got a foot in both camps. Get the odd custom, but am a serial classifieds troller.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:43 pm

Late nineties looking McCoy loaded dome.
Good condition . A hundred bucks only.

6'10 X 19.5 X 2.75

Dover Heights

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dover-he ... 1090431240

It'd be up good cheap winter step up for a bigger or older McCoy lover.
Sniff wrote: