Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

carvin marvin
charger

Re: Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Post by carvin marvin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:11 pm

The Cull Party.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:04 pm

fongss wrote:Image
Anyone who paddles like that deserves to be eaten.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/o ... a286027593

When sharks are eating people, it’s time to cull
LAURA BANKS THE DAILY TELEGRAPH AUGUST 11, 2015 12:46PM SHARE

HUMAN cullers. Leg maulers. Life destroyers. Great white sharks. This year, the NSW north coast has had six gut-wrenching attacks, one which saw much-loved local Tadashi Nakahara lose his life at just 41 following an attack at Shelly Beach.

Former boxer Craig Ison, 51, an affable larrikin, would have died if his fighting instincts didn’t kick in at Evans Head two weeks ago, and Matt Lee, 32, is fighting infection in the Gold Coast University Hospital after both his legs were mauled in an attack at Lighthouse Beach, Ballina last month.

These surfers were doing nothing more than enjoying the beauty and tranquillity of the ocean. Why should they be punished for that? These men did not enter the water with spears, nor did they paddle out with the intention of harming marine life. They wanted to enjoy the peacefulness of the ocean but instead they were given a life sentence.

What if you were at the beach with your son or daughter, your partner or your mother, and one of these sharks thought your loved one looked a tasty morsel and took them down in a murderous attack? Would that be OK? How would you feel then?

Would you still be keen to cuddle up to a great white at night?

These surfers were doing nothing more than enjoying the beauty and tranquillity of the ocean. Why should they be punished for that?

At least five great whites — some more than 5m long — have made their home along the north coast and are routinely stalking the surf break.

These predators have been spotted within 50m of the shore, lurking, ready to say hello and take you as an afternoon snack, if you so happen to be in the water.

The ocean is our domain and sharks have no place destroying lives and livelihoods; these predators are lurking out there ready to cull humans and we as a community must find a permanent solution.

Tourism is slowing. The people are not coming. Surfers are not surfing. If this continues into summer, the seaside towns of Lennox Head and Evans Head, even Ballina, will be no more.

We won’t have to worry about sharks because there will be no one living on the coast. The shark will have won.

We are not all the size, nor do we have the adeptness of the revered Mick Fanning, who could fight off his attacker in South Africa.

We don’t all have a lifetime of boxing prowess like Craig Ison. Most of us couldn’t fight our way out of a paper bag. It’s time to act.

Great whites should no longer be a protective species; sharks do not treat humans as a protected species.

We must legalise the killing of the sharks that kill us.
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm

p.s. read the comments to the article above - they tear it to shreds :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:13 pm

I've had a bunch these last couple of weeks. A couple with a good mate... The rest solo.

It's kinda how I imagined surfing to go down in the 70's... Just uncrowded bliss. It's on your mind, but not enough to stop you from going

Saw a not very big shark at Hastings on the weekend
Last edited by crabmeat thompson on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:26 pm

Im not going to root you woolly.
Kunji wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:55 pm

We all know that's not true.

A bloke allegedly got knocked off his board this afternoon pretty much where I was surfing all weekend.

But 3-5 foot and clean with nobody out? It was a pretty easy decision.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:08 pm

I checked most spots between Goldie and just north of Ballina on Sunday.

Cabarita was crowded.

A bit further south, 25 Surfers were sitting within 15m of each other on a very nice A-frame peak at a bar, there were multiple barrels, quite often someone dropped in. It looked a bit like Kirra at times. I've never seen that spot that crowded before.
So I kept on driving south.

At the Ox, I counted 84 surfers in the water at the point. I watched the drama for a few minutes, I did not see a single wave ridden when the surfer could ride the wave, rather than having to negotiate the obstacle course. Not for me, thanks: Image

A bit further south, only 3 surfers out, but it looked like an utter gamble to make it out between the rocks without getting smashed up, so I kept on going.

Next to the camp ground north of Ballina, the waves did not look much different from the Ox, but hardly anyone was surfing. I spent 2 hours catching some nice waves, no-one ever got in the way, a maximum of 3 other surfers were out at any given time. Got a few rides over 200m, matching my speed record to date on one of them. Good fun, and the Shark Shield Freedom7 on my leg did not bother me much at all. The drag is insignificant in decent sized waves, it seems, and the frequent zapping of my foot was kind of reassuring that the thing was working.
Less than 24hrs later, a 3m White Shark was spotted there, swimming underneath three surfers.

My assessment of what I saw is this: Not only have some QLD surfers travelled to NNSW to get some of the S wave action (except for Mick Fanning, he stayed at Snapper!), but in addition to that, the surfers from around Ballina seem to have travelled northwards, away from the recent GWS attack epicentre. So it is really crowded in those spots that have not had shark attacks right there recently. (I did not check the Ballina waves, I assume they were not crowded.)

Summary: Get a Shark Shield, there may be more opportunities for unusually uncrowded waves while the herd seeks safety in numbers.
Attachments
DSC_0066-640x640.JPG
(57.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC_0049-640x640.JPG
(42.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC_0045-640x640.JPG
(46.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:46 pm

around here on Sunday I've never seen so many nsw plates up here. Ever. I was bummed I had to work on a deadline.

But shit... Monday more than made up for it. Like you said. Head south for a little bliss while the herd goes North

Glad the shield is working for you mik.
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:47 pm

alakaboo wrote:We all know that's not true.

A bloke allegedly got knocked off his board this afternoon pretty much where I was surfing all weekend.

But 3-5 foot and clean with nobody out? It was a pretty easy decision.

You still down that way boo?
Kunji wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:51 pm

--++sunstroke++-- wrote:http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/o ... a286027593

When sharks are eating people, it’s time to cull
LAURA BANKS THE DAILY TELEGRAPH AUGUST 11, 2015 12:46PM SHARE

HUMAN cullers. Leg maulers. Life destroyers. Great white sharks. This year, the NSW north coast has had six gut-wrenching attacks, one which saw much-loved local Tadashi Nakahara lose his life at just 41 following an attack at Shelly Beach.

Former boxer Craig Ison, 51, an affable larrikin, would have died if his fighting instincts didn’t kick in at Evans Head two weeks ago, and Matt Lee, 32, is fighting infection in the Gold Coast University Hospital after both his legs were mauled in an attack at Lighthouse Beach, Ballina last month.

These surfers were doing nothing more than enjoying the beauty and tranquillity of the ocean. Why should they be punished for that? These men did not enter the water with spears, nor did they paddle out with the intention of harming marine life. They wanted to enjoy the peacefulness of the ocean but instead they were given a life sentence.

What if you were at the beach with your son or daughter, your partner or your mother, and one of these sharks thought your loved one looked a tasty morsel and took them down in a murderous attack? Would that be OK? How would you feel then?

Would you still be keen to cuddle up to a great white at night?

These surfers were doing nothing more than enjoying the beauty and tranquillity of the ocean. Why should they be punished for that?

At least five great whites — some more than 5m long — have made their home along the north coast and are routinely stalking the surf break.

These predators have been spotted within 50m of the shore, lurking, ready to say hello and take you as an afternoon snack, if you so happen to be in the water.

The ocean is our domain and sharks have no place destroying lives and livelihoods; these predators are lurking out there ready to cull humans and we as a community must find a permanent solution.

Tourism is slowing. The people are not coming. Surfers are not surfing. If this continues into summer, the seaside towns of Lennox Head and Evans Head, even Ballina, will be no more.

We won’t have to worry about sharks because there will be no one living on the coast. The shark will have won.

We are not all the size, nor do we have the adeptness of the revered Mick Fanning, who could fight off his attacker in South Africa.

We don’t all have a lifetime of boxing prowess like Craig Ison. Most of us couldn’t fight our way out of a paper bag. It’s time to act.

Great whites should no longer be a protective species; sharks do not treat humans as a protected species.

We must legalise the killing of the sharks that kill us.
:D :D :D insert Jaws Music
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Nah

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:44 am

--++sunstroke++-- wrote:p.s. read the comments to the article above - they tear it to shreds :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very entertaining.
This is my favourite.
Think about it, the increased whale population is also more than likely part responsible for rising sea levels. Ever put a brick in a bucket of water? Well, we have lots more whales out there so surely they must be responsible for displacing more water and raising sea levels. Just saying :)

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:42 am

If, as has been reported, there are the same 7 whites that are trolling up and down in the shallow waters of the far north coast, that is a different situation ethically to killing random sharks. If those sharks were the ones making the attacks and other options for stopping them aren't feasible, those sharks would be killed if they were humans.

Still, I don't know how easy it would be to kill those specific sharks. It would seem to be no harder than GPS tagging them. Then you could check an app for their current location before surfing. They could become an eco attraction while surfers just stayed out of their way.

Presumably, they will be moving off in a month or two. Still, the GPS info would be of continuing value. If GPS tagging them that is not feasible, you would think the targetted and specific killing of those seven sharks is possibly not that feasible as well.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:11 am

save your energy for the next instalment of imaginary cindy stories woolly.

your old reruns in here just aren't cutting it.

:lol:
Kunji wrote:

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:33 pm

foamy wrote:
Still, I don't know how easy it would be to kill those specific sharks. It would seem to be no harder than GPS tagging them. Then you could check an app for their current location before surfing. They could become an eco attraction while surfers just stayed out of their way..
If one were to build such an app, one could engineer the code to include a secret override function. This function would make it appear that several large sharks were cruising the line up at one's favourite break when there were in fact none in the area.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:38 pm

Braithy wrote:save your energy for the next instalment of imaginary cindy stories woolly.

your old reruns in here just aren't cutting it.

:lol:
seriously...do you have anything more than cindy references...it really is bordering on...dare I say it...embarrassing.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:42 pm

Says the bloke labouring the shit joke about his username.