Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Post by Drailed » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:18 am

You just agreed with me Womble.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:06 am

Drailed wrote:You just agreed with me Womble.
Stop being silly.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:22 am

This is about man as the apex predator. We can, so we will.

Actually no it's not, it's about the connection to the sea being broken or altered. For some it's non existent for others it defines their existence.
Last edited by Davros on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:27 am

Drailed wrote:Its not life and death though, its a chosen hobby, a past time, sport. Put nets in, have a cull - I honestly don't give a fcuck but lets be honest about it, its just to save people who want to play in the water regardless of how seriously they take it.
And I too take issue with the its "just a game" and therefore of no consequence.

Man (and woman) kind do not live by bread alone. We need things that satisfy our soul, things that give meaning to our lives, things that we live for, things that connect us to each other and the world.

I don't think its overreach to say that without surfing a lot of people's lives will become empty and without a deeper meaning. Many of us have constructed a motivation and a life around this avtivity. It has elements that, for a lot of people, provide a meaning to their lives akin to religious beliefs.

Surfing like other "games" is also a multi billion dollar international industry. Industries are acknowledged as serious stuff. Our goverment and society is concerned to a large extent with nourishing and fostering industry, especially ones that are peculiary "Australian". Surfing is part of the Australian psyche.

But you might still say its just a game, its not serious. What about our housing industry. It now consumes the majority of Australia's wealth. What is it based on, it must be something really, really serious.

Sure it satisfies our basic needs for shelter and a quiet and private space to lead our lives, but those needs could be satisfied at a small fraction of the current housing costs. There's something else that gives it meaning above those simple human needs. There's some intangibles, mental constructs that add meaning to peoples lives that lead them to spend such a disproportionate part of their lives striving to satisfy.

Not sure if that analogy worked, but what I'm trying to say is that its those mental constructs, like religous beliefs, that give meaning and motivation to our lives. Surfing is not just a game for a lot of people, its something non trival and irreplacable.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:03 am

Cranked wrote:
Drailed wrote:Its not life and death though, its a chosen hobby, a past time, sport. Put nets in, have a cull - I honestly don't give a fcuck but lets be honest about it, its just to save people who want to play in the water regardless of how seriously they take it.
And I too take issue with the its "just a game" and therefore of no consequence.

Man (and woman) kind do not live by bread alone. We need things that satisfy our soul, things that give meaning to our lives, things that we live for, things that connect us to each other and the world.

I don't think its overreach to say that without surfing a lot of people's lives will become empty and without a deeper meaning. Many of us have constructed a motivation and a life around this avtivity. It has elements that, for a lot of people, provide a meaning to their lives akin to religious beliefs.

Surfing like other "games" is also a multi billion dollar international industry. Industries are acknowledged as serious stuff. Our goverment and society is concerned to a large extent with nourishing and fostering industry, especially ones that are peculiary "Australian". Surfing is part of the Australian psyche.

But you might still say its just a game, its not serious. What about our housing industry. It now consumes the majority of Australia's wealth. What is it based on, it must be something really, really serious.

Sure it satisfies our basic needs for shelter and a quiet and private space to lead our lives, but those needs could be satisfied at a small fraction of the current housing costs. There's something else that gives it meaning above those simple human needs. There's some intangibles, mental constructs that add meaning to peoples lives that lead them to spend such a disproportionate part of their lives striving to satisfy.

Not sure if that analogy worked, but what I'm trying to say is that its those mental constructs, like religous beliefs, that give meaning and motivation to our lives. Surfing is not just a game for a lot of people, its something non trival and irreplacable.

at the end of the day it's a hobby. spiritual for some, if not most, but it's a hobby. not a right of passage. should a human hobby come at the cost of other animal life?

episodes like this:

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-an ... -says-wwf/

Our planet is entering a new era: the so-called Anthropocene, where human activity has overwhelmingly and irreversibly altered the geology and ecosystems of our planet. Along with changing the atmosphere, earth, seas, and forests, this brave new world has a lot less wild animals.
are being perpetuated by humans and it's happening all over the world. at this rate we will wipe out everything (except for humans). everything.

so how does humans wiping out species on top of species fit into your magical, and spiritual narrative for surfing? because it doesn't fit mine. i surf and i accept the risks, because somethings, which as you say are deeply uplifting and spiritual are perhaps worth dying for. we all gots to die eventually, it is the way it's meant to be.

i'd rather die and accept the simple fact, then not accept it and take a whole species (or many with nets ... or at least contribute to the species decline) with me.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:11 am

"It's ok to eat fish, 'cause they don't have any feelings"

Kurt Cobain

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:20 am

Davros wrote:"It's ok to eat fish, 'cause they don't have any feelings"

Kurt Cobain

the greatest post in realsurf's history.
Kunji wrote:

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:39 am

Braithy wrote:
at the end of the day it's a hobby. spiritual for some, if not most, but it's a hobby. not a right of passage. should a human hobby come at the cost of other animal life?

so how does humans wiping out species on top of species fit into your magical, and spiritual narrative for surfing? because it doesn't fit mine. i surf and i accept the risks, because somethings, which as you say are deeply uplifting and spiritual are perhaps worth dying for.

Egggggsactly.

And you know what, f&&&k it, if a few fish gotta die so a few thousand can surf in safety then I don't really have a big issue with it but man up and just admit that. All this bullshit justification is nauseating.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:41 am

"Curt didn't feel a thing"

Courtney Love
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:48 am

I hope loof has one of his famous two martini lunches so we can enjoy drunk Loofy for the rest of the day.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:01 am

I'll f$$$in unload on you stupid cnuts.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:03 am

offshore1 wrote:I hope loof has one of his famous two martini lunches so we can enjoy drunk Loofy for the rest of the day.
Full Don Draper

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:14 am

Braithy wrote:

so how does humans wiping out species on top of species fit into your magical, and spiritual narrative for surfing? because it doesn't fit mine. i surf and i accept the risks, because somethings, which as you say are deeply uplifting and spiritual are perhaps worth dying for.
I made a point that it is not just a hobby but a valid pursuit like any other human pursuit. You may not agree, that's fine.

My magical and spiritual narrative sits quite OK because I value human life much more than I value a sharks life. I can still admire and value sharks, but have no problem with killing some of them if they endanger human life.

With netting we are talking about killing around 10-20 GWS a year, if that, in some very limited locations, to save a couple of human lives. This is not remotely akin to wiping out the entire species. As nick reported the impact of the fishing industry is the main danger
Drailed wrote: Egggggsactly.

And you know what, f&&&k it, if a few fish gotta die so a few thousand can surf in safety then I don't really have a big issue with it but man up and just admit that. All this bullshit justification is nauseating.
As I said, surfing is a valid human pursuit, as is religion and a myriad other things we humans engage in. Its not a justification, its an explanation. What does the spurious invocation of "man up" have to do with it. You assess your risks and rewards and make the appropriate decision.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:27 am

A lot more sharks are killed getting people's prawns for Christmas. The prawns (and shark bycatch) are not killed to get essential sustenance for the protein deprived, but as a taste bonbon for the base pleasures of hobby eating. What's the difference?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:31 am

Cranked wrote:
With netting we are talking about killing around 10-20 GWS a year, if that, in some very limited locations, to save a couple of human lives. This is not remotely akin to wiping out the entire species. As nick reported the impact of the fishing industry is the main danger

it kinda is akin to wiping them out.

there's science to suggest that a female white takes 35 years to be able to reproduce. taking that maths into account, you would not have to kill many whites at all to greatly impact their numbers and subsequently wipe them out. it seems minus reunion island and parts of the east & west coast of australia, whites are in severe and dangerous decline globally.

like all animal extinctions, by the time we realise what we've done, it's too late. the missile has been launched.
Kunji wrote:

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:32 am

What's the mercury content of your average 2-4m white pointer?

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:33 am

A hell of a lot more sharks are killed to make soup for wealthy ______.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:50 am

A hell of a lot more young boys are raped by Priests in the Catholic Church but that doesn't mean naughty Uncle Bill's wondering hands should be considered a trivial matter tootr.