Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

brendo
barnacle

Re: Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Post by brendo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:15 pm

aaarating wrote:
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:
brendo wrote:braithy, there has been attacks at points on nc before. in 89, my mate mick was attacked at boulders . no injuries,
but a big bite from his board. within a few weeks of that, a guy was attacked at halftide, a fickle sandpoint at evans.
I reckon myers was bullshitting in that forum saying 10yrs ago he saw a white and it was some rare sighting. in 93 a guy got killed by a white at Julian rocks by a white described 'as fat as a kombi", in the 90s there was a big white used to harass fisherman in boats out at kahors reef south
of evans, nudging boats, biting outboards. about 7 or 8yrs ago a heap of dolphins washed up at chinnies with white bites so big they reckon it was an absolute monster that got them. used to be a mako off backsides would always jump around as well throughout the 90s. ive seen a 6ft shark breach at shelly yrs ago, and rode over a fair size shark cruising the bottom between redrock and the takeoff at the point.
know a few guys over the years had brushes with sharks paddling to south wall. that used to be the only time I ever thought of being attacked,the 7 minute dash, especially doing it solo or when the trawlers were coming in after fishing....
Well a shark the size of a kombi would be a lord but I still bust a cap in his ass. Sorry.
That poor bloody 'Kombi' victim was on his honeymoon skin diving with his new missus around Julian Rocks to see the friendly grey nurse shark colony. Shit here comes a really big one! Legend says he performed the ultimate heroic act by getting himself between the GWS kombi bus jaws and his girl god bless him. Now that is traumatic writ large. I can never work out the boatloads of divers heading out there from the pass. Do the dive shops report sightings cause surely they must have had some close encounters or would it be bad for business? Also Marty Ford fatal at Cosy Corner in late'80's What type of shark did that? They seem to get lost in our collective memories as time passes but that bit of far north surf coast territory is probably as spooky (GW shark wise) as most of the other notoriously sharky surf locations in Australia. The usually large surfing crowds tend to provide a numerical assurance that you wont likely draw the short straw. Wasn't it the icon Wayne Lynch who said that by going surfing with just one other person you have immediately decreased your chances of being taken by a shark by 50%?
-
------------------------
mate that's not legend that was fact. his torso washed up a few days later. we were working at Lismore base hospital at the time and his missus ended up locked up in the psych ward after seeing hubby torn to pieces in front of her

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:12 pm

Thst would send anyone to the bin

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:58 pm

been down at Evans head adventure guiding the last 3 days.....sounds like this attack was the straw that broke the camels back.

The story of that white that bit the honeymooner in half is pretty epic.

The cops hired local fisho Ronnie Boggis and his deckie to go catch it, which they did. Towed 'em around for 6 hours, they reckon it was 15foot long. Spat out one of the guys legs and then during the night, the shark chain or the rope got caught somewhere near the motor and they had to cut the shark free or it would have sunk them.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Adventure guiding?

There are some awesome stories from shark fishermen. The bloke at Amity who does the drink lines off Straddie is full of them.

A guy came to one of my fishing spots and put out a couple of 44 gallon drums with chain and hooks the size of my head, baited with half a sheep each.
Overnight one drum disappeared completely (Jaws style) and on the other one the hook was straightened.
He was encouraged to leave town by the locals, and I have never surfed there again.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:45 pm

alakaboo wrote:A guy came to one of my fishing spots and put out a couple of 44 gallon drums with chain and hooks the size of my head, baited with half a sheep each.
Overnight one drum disappeared completely (Jaws style) and on the other one the hook was straightened.
Same thing when I worked on a tuna boat, we tied up at Kangaroo Island for a couple of days to escape some bad weather, put out a 44 gallon drum with a mega hook on chain and a small tuna on it. Checked the next morning, hook straightened. You would need 2 buses to straighten that hook.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:24 pm

So we send retarded 16 year olds to supermax but you can't bang stick a shark??
No wonder Trump will win.
Erase.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:27 pm

Boat out of Broken Bay GFC pulled in a whaler some 8-10 feet long. Had it at the side of the boat and a big GWS bit it in half in one go.
There are photos somewhere in the web.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Off Straddie a couple of years ago

For scale, the one that got bit was 3.5m

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:40 pm

Remembered this one.
Barrier reef. Wasnt a small tiger that did this.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:08 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SS6NjdGLVZs

Geepers. Anyone seen the footage of the Killer Whales killing the GWS Shark and eating it's liver (with some favar beans..)
Last edited by Davros on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:13 pm

i got a photo, and original one at that somewhere of the world record white caught off moreton.

now that's a shark.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:31 pm

Do sharks have ears?
Erase.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:47 pm

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Do sharks have ears?
yes, they can hear your fear
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:51 pm

Fcuk nets, drum lines, shark shields and any other useless device. What you really need is a broom

https://www.facebook.com/saltydogcharters/
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:06 pm

What you need is a set of nuts and just surf anyway
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:19 pm

No fcuken way. I'm shortening the handle when I get home tonight because I plan to surf some sharky waters tomorrow. Ain't goin' out there with no broom
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:07 pm

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:12 pm

[quote="steve shearer"]been down at Evans head adventure guiding the last 3 days.....sounds like this attack was the straw that broke the camels back.

The story of that white that bit the honeymooner in half is pretty epic.

The cops hired local fisho Ronnie Boggis and his deckie to go catch it, which they did. Towed 'em around for 6 hours, they reckon it was 15foot long. Spat out one of the guys legs and then during the night, the shark chain or the rope got caught somewhere near the motor and they had to cut the shark free or it would have sunk them.[/quothw

hey shep, you get down Jerusalem creek way? my grandfather used to rave about the jewfish they would catch there years ago.
20yrs ago we were building at the airforce range in winter. the beach out front of the target was PUMPING nearly everyday. not to mention, I think its south reef? on huge south swells.