Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Re: Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:29 am

Speaking of sharks … those one from the shire are self culling. Marvellous that.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:25 am

Well I guess we humans have tried to measure 'intelligence' in many ways when it comes to our own capacity. The general consensus is that we have the capacity to learn - some quicker and more comprehensively - than others and some things more complex than others. This usually is an agreed mark of intelligence. Other species exhibit similar capacities to learn generally by way of reward. Not that I agree with it at all but water based mammals such as dolphins and KW's are fairly adept at exhibiting learned behaviours. Research has shown that high intelligence traits have been demonstrated by our cephalopod friends too. Now if you would be happy to don your wetsuit and jump into a tank and teach that hungry 3m great white to jump through the hoop for a feed of fish we will all buy tickets to that show.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:22 am

Cranked wrote:I had envisaged a short but intense intellectual exchange, a meeting of minds during a bout of intellectual rigour, as we moved inexorably to a logical conclusion, now I see its going to be more like herding cats
What if the GWS was about to eat cats owned by a smokin hot girl you had your eye on?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:17 pm

*groaning* This is not going at all well
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:19 pm

What if your best friend was also a great white?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:20 pm

wouldn't the most humane thing to be shoot your mate in the back of the head when he's not looking (quick and painless) then swim like fcuck in the opposite direction?
Erase.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:21 pm

boo's right.

what if you hand raised the great white, much similar to flipper ... and your friend wasn't at all reliable and a bit of a pain in the arse?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:27 pm

I'm a dodgy shot

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:33 pm

If Plato and the whole fcukin' pantheon of greek philosophers had a bunch of Realsurfers for colleagues human thought as we know it would never have progressed beyond simple pagan beliefs. WTF could this bunch do with Plato's Cave Allegory? Its a frightening thought!

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:42 pm

LMGIFY
Imprisonment in the cave
Socrates begins by asking Glaucon to imagine a cave where people have been imprisoned from childhood. These prisoners are chained so that their legs and necks are fixed, forcing them to gaze at the wall in front of them and not look around at the cave, each other, or themselves Behind the prisoners is a fire, and between the fire and the prisoners is a raised walkway with a low wall, behind which people walk carrying objects or puppets "of men and other living things" The people walk behind the wall so their bodies do not cast shadows for the prisoners to see, but the objects they carry do ("just as puppet showmen have screens in front of them at which they work their puppets" ). The prisoners cannot see any of this behind them and are only able to see the shadows cast upon the cave wall in front of them. The sounds of the people talking echo off the shadowed wall, and the prisoners falsely believe these sounds come from the shadows (514c).[1]

Socrates suggests that the shadows constitute reality for the prisoners because they have never seen anything else; they do not realize that what they see are shadows of objects in front of a fire, much less that these objects are inspired by real living things outside the cave (514b-515a).[1]

Departure from the cave[edit]
Socrates then supposes that one prisoner is freed, being forced to turn and see the fire. The light would hurt his eyes and make it hard for him to see the objects that are casting the shadows. If he is told that what he saw before was not real but that the objects he is now struggling to see are, he would not believe it. In his pain, Socrates continues, the freed prisoner would turn away and run back to what he can see and is accustomed to, that is the shadows of the carried objects. He writes "...it would hurt his eyes, and he would escape by turning away to the things which he was able to look at, and these he would believe to be clearer than what was being shown to him." [1]

Socrates continues: "suppose...that someone should drag him...by force, up the rough ascent, the steep way up, and never stop until he could drag him out into the light of the sun." [1] The prisoner would be angry and in pain, and this would only worsen when the radiant light of the sun overwhelms his eyes and blinds him.[1] The sunlight is representative of the new reality and knowledge that the freed prisoner is experiencing.
OK, have at it

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:48 pm

More of a Thales man, old school. Dope.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:56 pm

:-D-:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Davros wrote:More of a Thales man, old school. Dope.
Right, I'm off to sacrifice an ox to Apollo, or maybe a goat.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:11 pm

alakaboo wrote:What if your best friend was also a great white?
Perfect

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:47 pm

Cranked wrote:If Plato and the whole fcukin' pantheon of greek philosophers had a bunch of Realsurfers for colleagues human thought as we know it would never have progressed beyond simple pagan beliefs. WTF could this bunch do with Plato's Cave Allegory? Its a frightening thought!
Geez, we did that one years ago on here as I remember. Round about the time of the great Grammar Debates. Now there were a pair of threads. Some unsuspecting surfer dude checks out the site only to be confronted by heated arguements about tense and a priori images.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:53 pm

Any collateral damage? Man that Jungian shit is hard going.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:33 pm

is the shark in the cave?

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:36 pm

MrMik wrote:Comparing Shark Shield versions Freedom7 and Surf7:
The mounting kit for the Surf7 is designed to be integrated into the tail pad, but it needs some sort of cover to use when surfing without the Shark Shield.
I contacted the Shark Shield people but they do not have anything to cover up the ugly white plastic when the Shark Shield is not being used.
I only use the Shark Shield when I surf in what I consider high risk areas, like around Ballina at the moment, but I wanted to hide the attachment plate when it is not needed.
So I made up a tail kick attachment that screws on via the single screw. It is a bit bigger than a normal tail kick, but does the trick.
The parts before final assembly:

And installed:
Attachments
DSC_0021-640x640.JPG
(58.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC_0018-640x640.JPG
(63.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet