Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

carvin marvin
charger

Re: Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Post by carvin marvin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:21 am

Mrmik,
I thought that the thinner red and black cable in the second last photo was to be used to attach to the leg rope plug as a back up in case the tail pad comes unstuck.
I hear ya about getting zapped, I used mine at Cabarita a few days ago and when I turtled under a wave the antennae was next to my chest and I got several zaps to my chin before I could push it away.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:50 am

Sounds like a well designed product with guaranteed effectiveness.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:04 am

carvin marvin wrote:Mrmik,
I thought that the thinner red and black cable in the second last photo was to be used to attach to the leg rope plug as a back up in case the tail pad comes unstuck.
I hear ya about getting zapped, I used mine at Cabarita a few days ago and when I turtled under a wave the antennae was next to my chest and I got several zaps to my chin before I could push it away.
My Surf7 came with 2 thin Strings: The one visible in the second last photo ties the Shark Shield to the mounting plate. The second one is not shown, I removed it so it would not get in the way during installation. It ties the mounting plate to the leash plug, as you say.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:10 am

MrMik wrote:Comparing Shark Shield versions Freedom7 and Surf7:

The Surf7 has a longer and thinner antenna and is mounted to a mounting kit which is glued to the surf board. The Freedom7 attaches to the ankle similar to a leg rope. The electrodes are the silvery areas in the antennas. On the Surf7, the electrodes are also thicker than the other parts of the antenna:

The stainless steel mesh electrodes on the Surf7 are thinner and longer than on the Freedom7, presumably resulting in similar surface areas, while the electrode centres remain a similar distance apart:

When paddling on my 8ft board, the proximal electrode of the Freedom7 is a bit too close to my foot, which results in frequent zapping. That very conveniently serves as a reminder to keep my feet out of the water to reduce drag. The proximal Surf7 electrode is much further away, I expect to feel no zapping in my feet while paddling, but have not tried it out, yet. (The peel-and-stick glue for the Surf7 is supposed to set for 48hrs before using it, so no test surf yet).

When standing, the proximal Freedom7 electrode might sometimes be incompletely submerged. Probably less of a problem on a short board, and more of a problem on a longboard, or on any board that requires moving the aft foot forward to trim.

I think the Surf7 antenna was designed mainly for shortboards, with the distance to the proximal electrode large enough so that surfers on very short boards do not get their feet zapped. Unfortunately that makes the distance unnecessarily large on longer boards, and unnecessarily large while standing up on any board:

The flexible rubber (red) mounting allows the Surf7 to move out of the way when the legrope gets yanked:

The mounting kit for the Surf7 is designed to be integrated into the tail pad, but it needs some sort of cover to use when surfing without the Shark Shield.

May as well bolt a projector on the under side of your board showing clips of Orcas. Probably weigh the same.

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:06 am

just wondering if any stats or facts have been compiled from the various recent attacks/ encounters, either globally or regionally.

Sometimes weird shit happens and maybe, just maybe there might exist some common denominators if facts were collated and compared.

One thing for instance is both riders of both body board and surfboards, so was rider of either craft attacked more aggressively?

were there any common colour combos, type of wetsuit (steamer/short john/colour), number of colours of any fins/flippers.

Crazy it may be but even type of wax used as we know sharks 'smell' urine so why not the scented waxes. Imagine if that held a link as both wax is used by bodyboarders as well. And they guy at Evans I recall had just paddled out so like Fanning probably had a fresh coat of wax exuding some oil /odour.

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:05 pm

No expert but do believe the built in idea is fifteen years old and does not work simply because these devices are based around emitting a charge into the water in immediate proximity to the output. So putting it in rails or even on the bottom of the board would mean the rider/paddler is getting constantly zapped every paddling stroke one made. Everyone has a different reaction and tolerance to getting zapped.
the model that purports to work thru the fins has exactly that problem and respectively the power is low (therefore very little area coverage around fins and it seems some fatals have been toward middle of board and torso) on those types compared to the 'trailing' antennae types that keep the power away from user. The trailing antennae has more area coverage because more power but can give an uncomfortable zap as per earlier post if one gets tangled in it. Fcuk imagine that wrapped around your neck in an ugly wipeout. Many divers apparently would not wear these as they could not cope with the continual zapping.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Good to see them tagging the white pointers. That would be fun.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:27 am

hell yeah ... i'd love to do that.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:33 pm

Craig Ison comes out of hospital this weekend following his Evans Head shark attack. After being a daily first light surfer for years he is giving it away. :cry:

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:25 pm

It was interesting to read the Qld shark catch figures.

From the ABC

Shark nets or drum lines will remain off 82 beaches from Cairns in far north Queensland to the Gold Coast.
In the 2014-15 financial year, 621 sharks had been caught, including eight great white sharks, 251 tiger sharks, 111 bull sharks and 173 other whaler sharks.
Fisheries Minister Bill Byrne said the program, which has been running for 53 years, had the support of local governments, Queensland Surf Life Saving Association, businesses and tourist groups.
"The Queensland program is not a cull in any way shape or form," Mr Byrne told a budget estimates hearing. "The program is not designed to decrease the shark population. It is not designed to impact on the sustainability of shark populations. This program is purely designed to catch sharks that are in the vicinity of popular beaches."

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:40 pm

foamy wrote:It was interesting to read the Qld shark catch figures.

From the ABC

Shark nets or drum lines will remain off 82 beaches from Cairns in far north Queensland to the Gold Coast.
In the 2014-15 financial year, 621 sharks had been caught, including eight great white sharks, 251 tiger sharks, 111 bull sharks and 173 other whaler sharks.
Fisheries Minister Bill Byrne said the program, which has been running for 53 years, had the support of local governments, Queensland Surf Life Saving Association, businesses and tourist groups.
"The Queensland program is not a cull in any way shape or form," Mr Byrne told a budget estimates hearing. "The program is not designed to decrease the shark population. It is not designed to impact on the sustainability of shark populations. This program is purely designed to catch sharks that are in the vicinity of popular beaches."
Did they also mention how many whales, dolphins, turtles and other animals were killed during the same time?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Collateral. Usually not in the stats. We kill to be safer or we don't.
Erase.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:00 pm

No MrMik, Qld does not seem to provide good public stats on that, that is partly why the estimates hearing was interesting.

NSW has much better published stats.
Peruse their report. It is seems very good. Let's assume it is accurate.
I think go to table 7, Page 20, which is Page 26 of the PDF.
Though the Qld catch is much higher.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... report.pdf

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:33 am

foamy wrote:It was interesting to read the Qld shark catch figures.

From the ABC

There's about 80 other shark species unaccounted for. Probably those nasty wobbegongs.

BTW, Ison wants nets and drum lines.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:07 am

foamy wrote:No MrMik, Qld does not seem to provide good public stats on that, that is partly why the estimates hearing was interesting.

NSW has much better published stats.
Peruse their report. It is seems very good. Let's assume it is accurate.
I think go to table 7, Page 20, which is Page 26 of the PDF.
Though the Qld catch is much higher.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... report.pdf
Good document, thanks. Looks like the main "by-catch" is hammerhead sharks, and various rays. For some reason the rays survive most of the time, but the hammerheads nearly always die.
Here is a maps from the report showing the locations of shark meshing in NSW waters. It might help to explain why some people are more relaxed about sharks than others.
Attachments
Shark_Mashing_NSW-1024x1024.jpg
(77.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:05 am

Hammerheads need to keep swimming to breathe, stingrays don't.

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:31 am

Clouseau here,
Photo of what was left of the whale found on the back beach at Angourie, taken on wednesday the 19th of August 2015.

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:37 am

More info
http://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/news/on ... h/2750318/

And the National Parks and Wildlife rangers have decided to leave it on the beach to decay ?
http://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/news/de ... e/2750840/

''A shark's primary sense is a keen sense of smell. It can detect one drop of blood in a million drops of water (25 gallons or 100 liters) and can smell blood 0.25 mile (0.4 km) away. Its paired nostrils are on the underside of its snout.''

So sharks have a keen sense of smell, they then can track a smell to its source and National Parks and Wildlife Rangers have decided not to remove this dead whale, they say it is partially buried in the tidal zone.So therefore it will leach its smell into the ocean for weeks to come.

Am I missing something here ?
Last edited by carvin marvin on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.