Jeffreys Bay Pro 2015

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Jeffreys Bay Pro 2015

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:50 am

Neutron bomb. Reefs remain undamaged
Erase.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:52 am

Davros wrote:I'm wondering what would occur if there were 4-5 GWS off Bondi or Manly in summer. Mikey Baird likes a wave, he might get edgy.

Raise the shark GST and also introduce a "human consumption tax" to deter the Sharks.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:02 am

steve shearer wrote:thats a weird one , the salmon.

we had then in plague proportions there for a few winters from '04 to 2010. Haven't seen then since, not sure why but they aren't coming this far north anymore.
In 2011, subject to tonnage of catch limits, commercial netting of salmon north of Barrenjoey Head was allowed again because of those very high numbers of salmon that you noticed.
Last edited by foamy on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:24 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:39 am

It will support the stamp duty gap when rates increase and the mkt returns to parity. I say table it now, sliding scale on shark types.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm wondering how MrMik is planning to compare the SharkShield to the surfboard implant.

Like do any of youse even have a clue how often (or not) you've been checked out by sharks while surfing? A shark knows you're in the water way before you'll ever see it. Mostly it won't come anywhere near your sensory circle and if it does, it's probably because it doesn't give a shit about you and is after something else.

Does anyone really think an electronic shield is going to stop a big shark if it decides to go you? It's like waving a fcuken magic wand in front of a truck.

You can say a shield thingy works all day long, hell you could wear it every surf your whole life and think Hmm, no shark ever attacked me, it must have been the shield. Although almost every surfer never suffers a shark attack or even a reasonably close encounter.

So yeah unless you see sharks around you and get a bump every second or third surf, how can you ever "compare" these things with each other, much less really test their effectiveness?

the prawn
Duke Status

Post by the prawn » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:38 pm

Uh oh, Nicholas has been paid off by the Shark People.
It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:44 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:I'm wondering how MrMik is planning to compare the SharkShield to the surfboard implant.

Like do any of youse even have a clue how often (or not) you've been checked out by sharks while surfing? A shark knows you're in the water way before you'll ever see it. Mostly it won't come anywhere near your sensory circle and if it does, it's probably because it doesn't give a shit about you and is after something else.

Does anyone really think an electronic shield is going to stop a big shark if it decides to go you? It's like waving a fcuken magic wand in front of a truck.

You can say a shield thingy works all day long, hell you could wear it every surf your whole life and think Hmm, no shark ever attacked me, it must have been the shield. Although almost every surfer never suffers a shark attack or even a reasonably close encounter.

So yeah unless you see sharks around you and get a bump every second or third surf, how can you ever "compare" these things with each other, much less really test their effectiveness?
Thankyou Nick, that is just straight out common sense and the whole marketing of these so called deterents is just so based on scaremongering.

the very fact that they purportedly work by emiting an electrical field from the source that in effect makes that water 'electrically charged' tells you that the field is lucky to be so weak as to not give you a shock that it would be lucky if it covered a couple of feet around the source. If you think a 15 ft GWS is deterred by that..buy one and sit out there with a huge grin on ya face knowing the bastard your grinning at is gunna get it, not you.

The ones the divers use at least have a serious enough charge that it is uncomfortable (apparently) to touch or hold, but the ones on board or in fins have a minuscule charge

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:31 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: Does anyone really think an electronic shield is going to stop a big shark if it decides to go you? It's like waving a fcuken magic wand in front of a truck.

Probably not, at that point. But there's fair whacks of evidence that sharks and GWS in particular are quite cautious predators so they've probably checked you out before deciding to commit to any kind of bite.

If that shield buys you time or dissuades a cautious predator then it's done it's job.

I'd say the jury is well and truly out.

At the other end of the spectrum I've just realised all my wetsuits are coated in jewfish slime.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:28 pm

At least it's not whale oil, I s'pose.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:08 pm

Do you reckon if you had a wild Fcuk session before climbing into your wetsuit that you might attract more sharks?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:11 pm

With what, the jewfish?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:42 pm

I can say with confidence that girl jizz on you're wang will not have a shark attraction effect if surfing on the sth coast around the spots i surf. 15 years of performance research provides reasonable empirical evidence. Dolphins and octopus notwithstanding. You read it here first.

I cannot vouch for any spots north or south, especially the far north with jewfish flavoured jizz and those sticky-out point breaks.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:52 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:00 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:I'm wondering how MrMik is planning to compare the SharkShield to the surfboard implant.
I'm pondering how to best use electronic equipment to measure the voltage, wave form, frequency and maybe field strength emitted by the devices in vitro. I have no intention whatsoever to use any sharks for testing.

I think there might be a big risk of training sharks to become immune or attracted to these devices, namely by offering them yummy baits as reward for ignoring the unpleasant spasming of their Lorenzini ampoules. As stated in the ads, it causes no permanent harm to the sharks, so some of them may learn to associate the electric fields from the devices with (almost) free food. To test similar devices for effectiveness against real shark attacks, I believe a secondary, much stronger averse stimulus would need to be applied if a shark bites the bait despite of the device being active. Something like an air-bag deploying and severely janking the jaws apart so that it hurts for days, maybe even accepting permanent damage or death for the attacking animal. That might be ethically acceptable, provided that the device being tested has a deterrent effect on most sharks.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:19 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: Like do any of youse even have a clue how often (or not) you've been checked out by sharks while surfing? A shark knows you're in the water way before you'll ever see it. Mostly it won't come anywhere near your sensory circle and if it does, it's probably because it doesn't give a shit about you and is after something else.
Well, I know of one:

So I want a device that would stop the beasty from coming any closer in such a situation. That means that the electrodes need to be in the water during turns. I have my doubts about the Surf Safe in this scenario, and a bit of in vitro testing (with shorter than the recommended 900mm electrode distance) might be enlightening.

The other main scenario I have in mind is an exploratory nibble by a bored GWS. It may not have any evil intent, but I'd rather not get involved in the teaching of adolescent GWS's about their environment. I am convinced that the majority of GWS attacks on humans are exploratory bites and that their frequency can most likely be reduced to near zero by use of electronic deterrent devices.
Attachments
2-IMG_8146-640x640.jpg
(81.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:59 pm

Here is a link to yet another electronic shark deterrent device: http://bluvand.com/shop/bluvand/noshark-surf-version/#

Has anyone here tried one out? I think it was formerly known as ESDS : http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Surf ... ence-ESDS/
http://www.esdshawaii.com/

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:34 am

English as second language?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes