Fiji Pro 2015

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Fiji Pro 2015

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Nick , you don't think there's a million pro surfer girls about to come out of Lennox Head in the next twenty years? Place is crawling with them. My daughter goes to school with some of them.

Obviously all of those are keen fans, or most of them.

But as far as the rest goes I'm not seeing any groundswell of interest. Obviously that is specific to my circles but they move pretty widely. My daughter, for one. She does squad coaching with some of these super chick groms with Jenny Boggis, former pro. So she is exposed to and influenced by the whole competitive trip, but has zero interest in watching pro surfing of any kind, bar Kelly Slater and Mick Fanning who she idolises.

Yeah. I guess I could find the desperation interesting if it was communicated to me in some kind of meaningful way. I just have no idea of a narrative arc with Sally the way i do with Steph, or Carissa or Tyler Wright.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:44 pm

Sal's drive is interesting. it's mick-like but unlike mick, he had the death of a loved one pushing him... with sal, you just don't know where her intensity comes from, and after events, where does it go? she's also interesting in that she's never drank a drop of alcohol in her life. not a drop! i wonder how you reach adulthood in australia and never try alcohol?

there's plenty mystery about her. but for me it comes down to her surfing is a amiss ... her style is too poo-stancey & rigid for me to really enjoy. it's marginally improved from where it was a coupla years back.

tell you who's got a great story which needs telling. tatiana. she's super stylish on her backhand too. maybe even more stylish than most of the goofyfoot men not named gabs and pupo.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:04 pm

This is clearly revealing the subjectivity of surfing

If you're talking male goofys, I love the way Wilko goes about it - especially backhand. Barely any sqirrelly shit at the bottom. His timing allows real turn, real turn, real turn

As for the chicks, There's some really good surfing going on, but for all round watchability in all kinds of surf, Steph is way ahead. Hope she's back soon
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:08 pm

Beerfan wrote:How can anyone not have a thing for sal Fitz?
I think she was mentioned in the Wank Bank thread which is now in the Dungeon.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:10 pm

I'm finding myself very indifferent to the whole pro surfing circus at the moment. I watched a bit of a heat in Rio with a little Brazilian fella doing these zippy air reverses to beat a very uninterested-looking JJF and, rather than marvelling at the undoubted athleticism and skill, instead was reminded of a dog scooting its arsehole along the ground to satisfy an itch. That just about did it for me. Women's surfing is, I'm afraid, an appalling spectacle made all the worse by the 'there's no losers at St Barnabas's' scoring and the overarching 'aren't they plucky' narrative.
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:15 pm

TWW is hotter than TPP

Her Dad is a Floridian old boy, a believer from the days of Flea Shaw and Frieda Zamba.

Tatiana herself is as straight up and simply stoked and engaged as she looks. She has amazing glittering blue eyes, something I superstitiously connect with female fearlessness. She is super fun to talk to and surf with. I bet she wins a world title.

Sally, well I guess what you're feeling there is the failure of the world's surf media to really get to grips with these women. One key to Sal is her Dad Martin. He is not controlling of Sal but he is an extraordinarily meticulous person who has guided Sal's career all the way. There's a fascinating story in it.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:30 pm

Is anyone gunna tell it?

Without it, I'm thinking along the lines of Braithy. Too straight sort of scares me. I link it to puritanism
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:09 pm

I personally think Sal's mental strength and drive is a story in itself. Perhaps it's just me but she hasn't been beaten down by perpetually being the bridesmaid. Each year she bounces back surfing better than the year before. What has happened to her would destroy less mentally strong characters - Cheyne Horan? The injury episode is just an obvious manifestation of her mental toughness.

I also think she's really worked on the poo stance - to me that was the major change in her surfing 2014 to 2015.

She was consistently the best surfer in the event. TWW surfed amazingly and smoothed out her style. BB also looked amazing except for the final, where I suspect nerves got to her.

I really hope she banks at least one world title before her career comes to an end.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:03 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Beerfan wrote:How can anyone not have a thing for sal Fitz?
try as I might I cannot muster up even the tiniest scintilla of interest in Sally Fitz. I think the whole Roxy Go Sally perfect Bogan Princess marketing schtick just did it for me. Or didn't as the case may be. The perma grin and seemingly one dimensional cardboard cutout personality which is constantly turned to radiant just offers nothing of any psychological interest.
I can't enjoy her surfing, it's just not quite right.

I know she ticked a lot of sporting cliche boxes today and is a lovely person and genuine as the day is long and is a super athlete and trains really hard, leaves no stone unturned etc etc etc.

And I know I'm not the target market but still. One of the things I notice amongst women surfers is just how little they care about pro surfing of any kind, even when the sisters are doing it for themselves. You'd think they'd need some sporting cache and people tuning in for the contest they way they do for womens tennis.
plus one. She's a sweet girl and a battler but,
Really find her backhand stiff and wooden .
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:23 pm

a dog scooting its arsehole along the ground to satisfy an itch

Thanks gstq - that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Nearly spurted cheap red wine out of my nose trying to suppress a laugh. Toledos technical mastery reduced to some sort of desparate, all/consuming, shame.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:10 am

Clean living and tries her heart out. I admire that.

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:50 am

Tats let it all hang out, but apparently thats not what the judges are looking for. it seems you need a slick marketing plan to get your across the line in first place.

IMHO - Owen's little sister is the stand out, more power in her turns, more commitment...she's the Jordy Smith of the womens tour, consistently shreds but doesnt deliver

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:58 am

Tyler is still very young and developing a lot of aspects of her surfing and mental approach.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:11 am

does tyler have the killer instinct to win continuously like steph, carissa and sal? she seems really easily satisfied. no pun.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

regular

Post by 8 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:19 pm

Tyler is my pick for sure. Good powerful style and goes hard.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:07 pm

S Fitz was gutsy, busted ear drum, over the falls a few times and charges to win.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:37 pm

Yeah if one of the men won in that fashion this place would be a chest puffing jizz fest. But she's a girl so it's not as impressive I guess :)

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:51 am

Apparently, Dane goes alright at Cloudbreak.