Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Drailed
Duke Status
Posts: 10814
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Drailed » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Its kinda funny because a couple of younger brothers of a a mate of mine back in the UK surf and they would piss all over Steve, all over him.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

User avatar
saltman
Harry the Hat
Posts: 3455
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: a short walk up the beach

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by saltman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:26 pm

Drailed wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:24 pm
Its kinda funny because a couple of younger brothers of a a mate of mine back in the UK surf and they would piss all over Steve, all over him.
Yeah but golden showers are a big thing with poms aren't they?
crabmeat thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:40 pm
we need more doctors advocating anal sex!

Nick Carroll
Duke Status
Posts: 17745
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:26 pm

I wouldn't trust googling sport numbers. Once they'd have told you 1.6 billion people watched pro surfing.

I just don't know also, what is the point? To pay back the Ziffs? Dude, they have been taken for the most spectacular ride in surfing's long scammy history.

whatever, there is a lot of lazy money in the world, if surfers get some of it hurray!

but there is something creepy in all this and to be brutally honest I think it is the King himself, I think the whole creature is down to him, a massive acting out of all his dreams fired by the billionaire's money, with everyone on board because the King.

Kering, word has it, is looking to sell Volcom. Hurley it is said is down 18% year on year and Nike is fuming. what's real and what isn't?

User avatar
Fuschia
Duke Status
Posts: 17935
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Fuschia » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Geez godsave. Tell me you don't get darts on TV too. :(
Loofy wrote
"when i lived in Bellevue hill"

lol :-o

User avatar
Legion
Duke Status
Posts: 10779
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Legion » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 pm

One-hundred-and-EIGHTY!

User avatar
godsavethequeen
Owl status
Posts: 3887
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by godsavethequeen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:33 pm

Settle down loof. steve spent time on the south coast, undisputed capital of kook. Elsewhere in the UK there are plenty of good surfers - I'm sure that when he was around Lynmouth and Millook the locals woulda kept him off most of the sets

Yes Trev. Yes we do

User avatar
Legion
Duke Status
Posts: 10779
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Legion » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Speaking of (not) surfing, how good is this session at a super secret location:

https://www.facebook.com/WSL/videos/10155079785357058/

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20109
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:00 am

godsavethequeen wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:33 pm
Settle down loof. steve spent time on the south coast, undisputed capital of kook. Elsewhere in the UK there are plenty of good surfers - I'm sure that when he was around Lynmouth and Millook the locals woulda kept him off most of the sets

Yes Trev. Yes we do
Had a great session at millook ....that was easily the best surf I had in the UK....;pissing rain, cold ...i wore two wetsuits.
3 or 4 guys out....not of great competency if memory serves.
Just stumbled across the wave completely by accident driving around. I remember what I rode: a mini-mal with a big frangipani on the deck (true!) that I borrowed from my sis in law. It just happened to be on the roof at the time and because the day was getting on that was what I rode.
3 fcuking boards I took to the UK- a 6'5" channel bottom, a 6'9" round pin and an 8'0" McCoy gun- mostly because we were stopping in Bali there and back and I didn't want to take the chance at missing Outside Corner if it broke. Or the Cribber.
You can imagine how popular I was around the little semi-detached rabbit warrens that most people live in there with that big board bag.

There were some good longboarders at Saunton.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

User avatar
offshore1
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7550
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 am

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by offshore1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:30 am

Fuschia wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:27 pm
Geez godsave. Tell me you don't get darts on TV too. :(
When my new bride and I were in old Blighty on our honeymoon, we were surprised to see darts on the tele all the time at the bnb where we stayed. Riveting.
ajohnsen wrote: My tertiary education has been a bit like a blind woman with sudden onset diarrhea in a bathroom accessories showroom.

User avatar
offshore1
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7550
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 am

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by offshore1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am

Condolences to all the hurricane victims but man we've been shittin in the high cotton in NC.
Maria might kick our arse however.
ajohnsen wrote: My tertiary education has been a bit like a blind woman with sudden onset diarrhea in a bathroom accessories showroom.

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20109
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:54 am

Just listened to Nick Carroll on ABC Future Tense.

Who was the 60 year old woman up here Nick?

Were you talking about Marg?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Duke Status
Posts: 17745
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Yeah, you know the lady on the super ad. She was in Michelle's and your doco, right?

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20109
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:27 pm

yeah, Marg lives up the road. She is very much enjoying this stage of life.

I thought your point: that mainstream advertising is actually providing a more accurate reflection of surfing back to it than the typical myth and marketing very astute.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Duke Status
Posts: 17745
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:28 pm

I am a bit envious of Marg in a way, she seems to have such a grommetish, easy, youthful sorta relationship with surfing. Sometimes for me it just feels too god damn complex.

User avatar
foamy
Harry the Hat
Posts: 3262
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by foamy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Nick is putting on the singlet and pulling out his old 5'8” Drifta (The Giant Slayer) to do battle again with various legends de surf at Manly tomorrow.

surf forecast: half a foot :(

http://www.coastalwatch.com/environment ... urf-battle

User avatar
crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20992
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: good fanks

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:10 pm

nick actually isn't putting on the singlet, because that would imply he took it off.
Drailed wrote:Sound like a load of cunts to me Trev.

Drailed
Duke Status
Posts: 10814
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Drailed » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:16 pm

:B
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 25799
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Counting fins

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Drailed wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:24 pm
Its kinda funny because a couple of younger brothers of a a mate of mine back in the UK surf and they would piss all over Steve, all over him.
There were a couple of apparently sponsored guys from Britain surfing Balian when we were there a couple of years ago. They were doing yoga most of the day then they would come down every arvo and take the place apart. Really fluid and flexible. Nice smooth styles.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests