Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

offshore1
Duke Status

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by offshore1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:58 pm

And speaking of science, it's not wrong to examine data, construct hypotheses, draw conclusions based on observation and inductive reasoning.
That's pretty much what Nick is doing in his article.

And always be open to being disproved.
One can deny global warming or the Holocaust in the face of overwhelming evidence, but that's hardly science.

What we have among us here in Realsurf is literally centuries of collective experience in the surf, spread over the globe. Millions of data points then.
Not one of these data points corroborates the contention that women are deliberately singled out and abused in the surf.

Were the data in the opposite direction, i.e. had we all seen gender abuse happen every day, YouTube /cellphone video substantiation, etc, I reckon most of us would believe that indeed there is a problem with surfers.
Well everybody except Sunstroke. He'd still blame it on the illuminati.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:18 am

ajohnsen wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:47 pm

The generalised approach was deliberate, skip, because I don't think you can talk about women in the water, in the context of Nick's article, without also acknowledging the broader discussion around misogyny and violence against women. Everyone keeps bringing it back to, yeah, but in the water I've never seen this happen, my wife this, her friends that...It's such a myopic way of looking at this issue. But that's enough from me. Last fcuking thing I want is some backwards and forwardsing thing a la Shearer/Cranked or Shearer/gstq. It gets old very fcuking quickly.
I hope you stick around AJ......it's a hard conversation to have but I'd rather it be going on here than by some sensational fcukwit in the Terrorgraph.

Which is exactly why I find all the wide angle theorising as useless as tits on a bull.......that's exactly the mountains of BS we'll be swimming in from every media outlet on earth when this Lennox incident comes into the public domain.

The actual, real life, real world experiences of the people concerned, to me, are far less myopic and far more valuable than any kind of "generalised approach."

But I appreciate if you think differently.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:58 am

God, listen to all you tards.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 am

Taking gender out of it for a minute, if you are inclined to drop in or generally act poorly in the surf, are you going to do it against the person 25 kgs heavier and likely to act out against you? Or will it be against the person 25 kgs lighter and unlikely to say or do anything?

It's very easy to feel threatened when you're one of the smallest in the line up. Add into that, bigger crowds and less manners/knowledge of the rules and you can understand why some women are intimidated.

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 am

Good point channels.

With regards race/culture etc- I had a couple of interesting experiences surfing Bondi. I could be mistaken for Brazilian, and on two occasions I realised this was indeed happening.

A couple of 'local' (read: trustafarians or cashed up tradies who'd lived there for 3 years) surfers just kept on burning me, dropping in, despite my fine behaviour in the line up.

Once the penny dropped and I realised they thought I was a brazzo, I totally went with it and jabbered at them in my best Brazilian accent just to see where it went.

They were total fcukwits.

To be fair, I guess they have had to deal with the Brazilian Approach in the surf a fair bit, but GSTQ's observation of certain Aussie surfers was right on the money with these guys.

The instant assumption based on looks was a bit of a shock tbh.
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:05 am

I don't think Nicks article is worth a ding dong. However, favourite drum symbols is worth a battle to the death.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:57 am

It would be splendid if there were some women in here to voice opinions.
Are there any female surf forums?
marauding mullet wrote:

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:09 am

Wyre wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 am
Good point channels.

With regards race/culture etc- I had a couple of interesting experiences surfing Bondi. I could be mistaken for Brazilian, and on two occasions I realised this was indeed happening.

A couple of 'local' (read: trustafarians or cashed up tradies who'd lived there for 3 years) surfers just kept on burning me, dropping in, despite my fine behaviour in the line up.

Once the penny dropped and I realised they thought I was a brazzo, I totally went with it and jabbered at them in my best Brazilian accent just to see where it went.

They were total fcukwits.

To be fair, I guess they have had to deal with the Brazilian Approach in the surf a fair bit, but GSTQ's observation of certain Aussie surfers was right on the money with these guys.

The instant assumption based on looks was a bit of a shock tbh.
Hey, I think you have told this story before... write down what you said in the accent you used :lol: :lol:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:52 am

Looking back in my files, i did manage to uncover a pertinent pic.
It's of me trying to comfort a young lass that I had dropped in on earlier in the day.

marauding mullet wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:53 pm

offshore1 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:52 am
Looking back in my files, i did manage to uncover a pertinent pic.
It's of me trying to comfort a young lass that I had dropped in on earlier in the day.

You look good in white, offy.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks Tardg, I was afraid it made my bottom look big.
marauding mullet wrote:

Yon Beasty

Post by Yon Beasty » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:12 pm

I've seen/heard women treated poorly in the surf.

I don't know if there is a wider issue re women getting hassled in the surf. I surf mainly in about 3-4 places on the northern beaches and there are few if any women out when I'm out.

A few years back an adult woman learner told me she drifted into a local board riders comp area at Manly. She had no idea the two men in the colourful rashies were in a comp. She was verbally abused heavily by a member of that local club. It really upset her and she was shaken up by it.

After she explained the situation I could see how she ended up in that position. So I offered to paddle out with her on a reasonably flat day at curl curl with only a handful of guys out. Fat, knee high waves.

Before we went out I ran through a few basics including:
- No drop ins, this is what a drop in is...
- Stay out of other surfers way, paddle towards the white water.
- That means stay out of all surfers way, as you're the learner, lets play it safe and stay away from the other surfers today.

I figured given she was on an 8 foot foamy that would signal to others that she was learning.

Anyway she eventually paddled into a wave with a surfer about 10 feet inside. I groaned.

The surfer was competent, how competent I couldn't tell because the waves were poor. He pulled off the wave flicking the nose of his board within a few feet of her face purposefully. He didn't say anything. He just paddled away pissed off. I think she missed this.

I paddled straight over to her and said to her, partly so she got the message, but also so the fella's could hear.

"That was a drop in. Don't do that. That guy over there had the inside, was up and surfing before you. Don't do that. You OK? You understand?"

She understood. I've been surfing with her a couple of times since, making sure we paddled in where the crowd numbers were low and she hasn't had any more altercations to my knowledge.

I realise in the above and in other scenario's there will be more or less two camps.

Camp One: She deserved a spray. Anyone in that situation deserves to be yelled at etc etc. Doesn't matter whether you're a woman or a man.

Camp Two: As a man, who is physically larger and stronger, you come from a position of power and should therefore be careful with how you interact with women, particularly given the background of violence against women in Australia. My wife has explained to me that many women are on low level alert around men they do not know constantly. That's just the way it is and this should be taken into account.

I'm in camp 2. I could not call myself a feminist by any means. It's just common courtesy, common sense and awareness of what women face.

It's tough though, it's not always straight forward, particularly with people learning in crowded areas or just trying to get a wave.

Anyway I think the subject Nick's touched on is worth exploring. If nothing else it's reminded me to be mindful of what I'm doing out there.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:53 pm

I think we should all caddy learners out into the surf. I particularly love it when you have people pushing learners onto waves in front of you. By contrast the people actually running surf schools usually know how to negotiate the situation and ensure chaos is avoided.

A bit like teaching people to drive a car.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Yon Beasty

Post by Yon Beasty » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:43 pm

Fair enough Beanpole.

Point taken.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:03 pm

Get a root out of it Yon?

Yon Beasty

Post by Yon Beasty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:41 am

Ha ha no Drailed my intentions were good, despite knowing no good deed goes unpunished.

She was at the point post surf lessons where you start to tentatively join the line-up on small days or give it away. Maybe I had incorrectly assumed that though in retrospect from what she'd told me.

I haven't the stomach for surf caddying in the local environment that's for sure.

Reminded me of what my uncle told me, he's a gentle soul who wouldn't say a bad word about anyone, was a good surfer in his time and was part of that Midget generation. Years ago I joked with him about giving me a few pointers and his demeanour froze as if suddenly possessed, he fixed me with a steely eye and said "You can't teach surfing". He didn't mean adult learners but yeah seems he wasn't far off the mark.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:40 pm

I took the TC softie out this morning to avoid the crowds
Dude near me was on this thing the size of a jumbo jet and he was lying way too far back on it. No way he could catch any waves like that and he didn’t.
I thought of giving him some advice but then thought fcuck him,we don’t need any more surfers in the water I hope he gives it up.
#localcustodian
Erase.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:25 pm

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:40 pm
I took the TC softie out this morning to avoid the crowds
Dude near me was on this thing the size of a jumbo jet and he was lying way too far back on it. No way he could catch any waves like that and he didn’t.
I thought of giving him some advice but then thought fcuck him,we don’t need any more surfers in the water I hope he gives it up.
#localcustodian
Go Lats. You are in the right of it. Surfing should be discouraged generally. Shit thing to do. Takes a long time to learn and you know you could drown and sharks.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet