Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

channels
Owl status
Posts: 4921
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by channels » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:41 am

foamy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:46 am
Re: Carissa’s claws
Kai Lenny posted a day ago “Recently the way I have been able to step up my game to the next level is thanks to the modern hydrodynamic advancements from @minksystems. I have them on every board. It has helped me go faster, throw more spray and has turned my average boards magic! #MinkSystems”

Doesn't read like a paid comment at all :roll:

User avatar
BA
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7781
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:03 pm
Location: tits

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by BA » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:54 pm

foamy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:46 am
Re: Carissa’s claws
Kai Lenny posted a day ago “Recently the way I have been able to step up my game to the next level is thanks to the modern hydrodynamic advancements from @minksystems. I have them on every board. It has helped me go faster, throw more spray and has turned my average boards magic! #MinkSystems”
So just like ‘boo said, hologram bracelet.

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 27004
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:26 pm

looks like a health hazard.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8152
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Cranked » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:17 am

Insta, gotta share this one:

My friend Bones. Too much backstory...but...in 1978 we all lived together in an old house at 7301 Draper Street, right next door to the Andersens, David and Leslie. In an attached studio lived a fully mohawked punk named Liz. In the main house was Buzzy De Philippi, Eddie Brinkman, Jeff Cyr, me, and my brother Pete. Bones lived in a shack he built on the side of the house. Pete and I were still in high school. All of us were teenagers, except Bones, who was in his early 20s. His mother was of the Nez Perce tribe, his dad was a fighter pilot at MCAS Miramar. Their marriage had failed and Bones had been drifting on his own since he was about 15. When I met him he'd already done 3 or 4 trips to Maui, living in a hidden cave at Honolua obscured by a grove of wind sculpted kiawe trees. Bones tapped the essence of surfing more than anyone I've ever known. His surfing was the purest expression of the act I've ever seen. The way he surfed, lived, dressed, valued...it was all on his own terms. Like this portrait I shot of him posted here...that's not some curated fashionista bullshit. That's just Bones, same as he ever was. He treasures his experiences, his boards, his friends, and the secret little shrines he created to live in, be they a candlelit cave, a shack on the side of a house, an abandoned WWII bunker hidden in the chaparral or under a scrub oak in a side canyon at Blacks. The Bones pads were enchanted, every object sacred, significant, and storied. His boards were battered but they were Fryes, Brewers, Diffenderfers, Hynsons...all waiting for a day with worthy waves. I had some crazy experiences with Bones, often on psychedelics. He'd speak in hushed tones about say, his Diffenderfer pintail "it's a Diff, RK, for the Bay, no wave is worthy around here...or he'd whisper about days when the rain washed out the roads to the Bay and he'd emerge from his cave to surf it alone, 10 feet and perfect, under rainbows during breaks in the storm. "Can't put that into words, RK." He had the deepest respect for the Duke. He never wore a leash in his life. "The sport of Kings, gone to the dogs" he used to say. To me, Bones has always been a King. And a fucking wizard too.

Bones is classic, there's a pic here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzLaGgwF29Y ... _copy_link
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 27004
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:51 am

I think this upcoming E swell is going to be about the most over-hyped, under delivered swell ever.

Unless you like surfing 3ft Tea Tree or 4 ft Crescent heads.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 14425
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:02 pm

Steve. How much of it do you reckon will make it down to Sydney and south NSW by Tues-Wed? I’ve seen surf sites calling 5-6 foot. Thats double overhead sets.

Over call?
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:10 am
That's fine but the scale is inherently elitist.

channels
Owl status
Posts: 4921
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by channels » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:02 pm
Steve. How much of it do you reckon will make it down to Sydney and south NSW by Tues-Wed? I’ve seen surf sites calling 5-6 foot. Thats double overhead sets.

Over call?
I reckon Narra will be all time.

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 14425
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Yes. With about 500 people on it.

If it delivers at that size, i will be scouting a couple of prime beachies just north and south of the gong that eat those conditions up. Just gotta wait and see.

The pessimist inside me is calling 4 foot tops, and surfing a 6’2 shorty. Hope I am proved wrong
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:10 am
That's fine but the scale is inherently elitist.

User avatar
BA
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7781
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:03 pm
Location: tits

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by BA » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:05 pm

I don’t care if it’s being overcalled. A week of ENE swell in winter on the NB’s. Happy days.

User avatar
Thud
Owl status
Posts: 4812
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Thud » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:38 pm

Cranked wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:17 am
Insta, gotta share this one:

My friend Bones. Too much backstory...but...in 1978 we all lived together in an old house at 7301 Draper Street, right next door to the Andersens, David and Leslie. In an attached studio lived a fully mohawked punk named Liz. In the main house was Buzzy De Philippi, Eddie Brinkman, Jeff Cyr, me, and my brother Pete. Bones lived in a shack he built on the side of the house. Pete and I were still in high school. All of us were teenagers, except Bones, who was in his early 20s. His mother was of the Nez Perce tribe, his dad was a fighter pilot at MCAS Miramar. Their marriage had failed and Bones had been drifting on his own since he was about 15. When I met him he'd already done 3 or 4 trips to Maui, living in a hidden cave at Honolua obscured by a grove of wind sculpted kiawe trees. Bones tapped the essence of surfing more than anyone I've ever known. His surfing was the purest expression of the act I've ever seen. The way he surfed, lived, dressed, valued...it was all on his own terms. Like this portrait I shot of him posted here...that's not some curated fashionista bullshit. That's just Bones, same as he ever was. He treasures his experiences, his boards, his friends, and the secret little shrines he created to live in, be they a candlelit cave, a shack on the side of a house, an abandoned WWII bunker hidden in the chaparral or under a scrub oak in a side canyon at Blacks. The Bones pads were enchanted, every object sacred, significant, and storied. His boards were battered but they were Fryes, Brewers, Diffenderfers, Hynsons...all waiting for a day with worthy waves. I had some crazy experiences with Bones, often on psychedelics. He'd speak in hushed tones about say, his Diffenderfer pintail "it's a Diff, RK, for the Bay, no wave is worthy around here...or he'd whisper about days when the rain washed out the roads to the Bay and he'd emerge from his cave to surf it alone, 10 feet and perfect, under rainbows during breaks in the storm. "Can't put that into words, RK." He had the deepest respect for the Duke. He never wore a leash in his life. "The sport of Kings, gone to the dogs" he used to say. To me, Bones has always been a King. And a fuschia wizard too.

Bones is classic, there's a pic here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzLaGgwF29Y ... _copy_link
Sounds like an interesting cat, Cranked.
“Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.”

User avatar
Thud
Owl status
Posts: 4812
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Thud » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:40 pm

3-4ft is the new 5-6ft.
“Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.”

User avatar
Wyre
barnacle
Posts: 2222
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Wyre » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:50 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:18 pm
Yes. With about 500 people on it.

If it delivers at that size, i will be scouting a couple of prime beachies just north and south of the gong that eat those conditions up. Just gotta wait and see.

The pessimist inside me is calling 4 foot tops, and surfing a 6’2 shorty. Hope I am proved wrong
Should be a certain rock shelf that starts working if all goes well!
godsavethequeen wrote:I wonder if reg is still thrashing the neighbour's elderly poodle with his wattle branch.

User avatar
jimmy
Harry the Hat
Posts: 3130
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by jimmy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:36 pm

Wyre wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:50 pm
Hatchnam wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:18 pm
Yes. With about 500 people on it.

If it delivers at that size, i will be scouting a couple of prime beachies just north and south of the gong that eat those conditions up. Just gotta wait and see.

The pessimist inside me is calling 4 foot tops, and surfing a 6’2 shorty. Hope I am proved wrong
Should be a certain rock shelf that starts working if all goes well!
Virgins? Heavy but great wave.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 14425
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:09 am

Wyre wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:50 pm
Hatchnam wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:18 pm
Yes. With about 500 people on it.

If it delivers at that size, i will be scouting a couple of prime beachies just north and south of the gong that eat those conditions up. Just gotta wait and see.

The pessimist inside me is calling 4 foot tops, and surfing a 6’2 shorty. Hope I am proved wrong
Should be a certain rock shelf that starts working if all goes well!
T....... ?
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:10 am
That's fine but the scale is inherently elitist.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 22633
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:55 am

Oh I don't care for all these pretend talking down, the coming week is going to pump.

In fact I am mighty tempted to jump into my mechanical steed with several excellent surfboards and head up north and blow shearer out of the water with my frankly quite incredible surfing skills.

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8152
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Cranked » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:38 am

And Nick has a new superman wetsuit that he is dying to show off to the Lennox crew
Image
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

User avatar
BA
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7781
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:03 pm
Location: tits

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by BA » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:52 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:55 am
Oh I don't care for all these pretend talking down, the coming week is going to pump.

In fact I am mighty tempted to jump into my mechanical steed with several excellent surfboards and head up north and blow shearer out of the water with my frankly quite incredible surfing skills.
You can take Beany and pop into Crescent on the way up.

User avatar
Wyre
barnacle
Posts: 2222
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Wyre » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:04 am

jimmy wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:36 pm
Wyre wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:50 pm
Hatchnam wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:18 pm
Yes. With about 500 people on it.

If it delivers at that size, i will be scouting a couple of prime beachies just north and south of the gong that eat those conditions up. Just gotta wait and see.

The pessimist inside me is calling 4 foot tops, and surfing a 6’2 shorty. Hope I am proved wrong
Should be a certain rock shelf that starts working if all goes well!
Virgins? Heavy but great wave.
Virgins is way out of my league. @hatchy, yep T....
godsavethequeen wrote:I wonder if reg is still thrashing the neighbour's elderly poodle with his wattle branch.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests